Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930 LastLast
    anybody see this thread about the new blackberry phone?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...494#post223494

interesting that they seem to also have gone with a low res screen.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Have any of you tried to search the contact list while trying to drive? Quite an unsafe thing to do, really. What I was thinking is that it would really help if the "f" key, "j" key, and "5" key is marked with a notched like they are in a normal keyboard. This would let the user type (although quite slowly) without looking at the screen...
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    Have any of you tried to search the contact list while trying to drive? Quite an unsafe thing to do, really. What I was thinking is that it would really help if the "f" key, "j" key, and "5" key is marked with a notched like they are in a normal keyboard. This would let the user type (although quite slowly) without looking at the screen...
    Take a pin held by a pair of pliers, heat over a candle and press into the key. That works.
    On another board I saw an inquirery about mp3s playing on Treo 300. I know we can't. However, I wonder if that was included in the 600. It's competitor, the Kyocera 7135 and, I believe the Samsung I500, both include this feature.

Does the Treo 600???
    Originally posted by wwwebb
    On another board I saw an inquirery about mp3s playing on Treo 300. I know we can't. However, I wonder if that was included in the 600. It's competitor, the Kyocera 7135 and, I believe the Samsung I500, both include this feature.

Does the Treo 600???
    the current feeling is that you should be able to play mp3s.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Current feeling meaning conventional wisdom or general desire?

TM
    The two who have seen and touched it first hand (nrosser and craig) were told by the Sprint reps that it has mp3 capability.

Cluemeister
    Thanks! Believe it or not, I've been reading this thread from the start...it's just so damned long that I forgot!

TM
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I responded as soon as a read your post. I don't necessarily check these boards every day...

There is also another possibilty as others have theorized on other forums: perhaps the phone software might be using 160x160 while the PalmOS mode will be switched to 320x320? The assumption is that the SGH does have a 320x320 display with a normal Samsung phone software (PalmOS switched off) running at 160x160 (standard Samsung colour phones runs at a similar res). That would explain the "320x320 pixel support" reference. Also, the German PUG site you refer to states that display size of the SGH corresponds about to that of the Palm m100. I don't recall the screen size of the m100, but this may help clarify the actual sreen dimensions of the SGH and it comparison to the Treo600.

I accept these as other possibilities.

However, I must say that this HARDLY makes what I had said to be "misinformation" or "not true", as you said.

These people are theorizing. I was quoting specs from the manufacturer. They say 160x160 pixels and don't refer to 320x320 as pixels. IMO, the most straightforward interpretation of "160x160 pixels, 320x320 resolution support" is that it can run the applications. IMO, it's a much easier theory to defend than the others. Specs are rarely better than what manufacturers say.

I would be VERY happy if it does have 320x320 pixels and I would try to get my hands on one to consider it (although I doubt I would like it because of the lack of keyboard, but that's another issue).

Bottom line is that we don't really know.

Another point is that the theory that there are no issues, technical or economical, that would prevent HS from putting a 320x320 display on the 600 could only mean that HS is just plain insane, which I don't think any of us believe. We all know that high resolution displays are expensive (look at the case with laptops). The expense that comes with them can be caused by many factors, including the high cost of displays themselves, the power they use, which require bigger batteries, higher memory and processing requirements for video subsystems, etc. I'm sure these issues translate to PDA's, and with bigger impact, because of the stricter power requirements, smaller physical size and overall limited room for price increases compared to laptops.

All my discussion in this thread has been around trying to find the reasons that MUST HAVE played into the decision to use a 160x160 display. To think that there are no sensible reasons makes absolutely no sense.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/13/2003 at 02:56 PM.
  10.    #570  
    I didn't talk with the Handspring guys about MP3 capability - it didn't come up. I'm not saying it doesn't, or couldn't; I'm just saying it never was a topic of my conversations with them.
    I sure hope it does.
    Hey nrosser,

I thought you had talked to the Sprint guys about mp3 capability, but obviously that is not the case, as I was going from memory. I guess I should have looked back at the postings history to see where the mp3 references came from.

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    Hey nrosser,

I thought you had talked to the Sprint guys about mp3 capability, but obviously that is not the case, as I was going from memory. I guess I should have looked back at the postings history to see where the mp3 references came from.

Cluemeister
    Actually, you were not too far off. Craigdts said "mp3 yes" in this posting and he also said "will do streaming video".
    Does the 600 have bluetooth or Wi-Fi(802.11) built in?
    Originally posted by LinJS
    Does the 600 have bluetooth or Wi-Fi(802.11) built in?
    all signs point to NO.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The 270 has the ability to beam out (and receive) info from others. Is this also possible with the 600?
    Originally posted by Piccolojr
    The 270 has the ability to beam out (and receive) info from others. Is this also possible with the 600?
    Yes, it will have infrared.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Let's just hope Bluetooth is a pleasant surprise they have yet to annouce!
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jnjewlz
    Let's just hope Bluetooth is a pleasant surprise they have yet to annouce!
    me too!
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Sorry.
    The Phonescoop.com article on Cebit says that they Handspring engineers left space on the circuit board for future bluetooth. However, none is on the first version of the device, which is coming out in fall.
    It'll be necessary to wait awhile for that feature.
    I have Treo 270 Since it came out. Few shotcomings in it allways bothered me. I emailed & Called the handspring about Treo600 but God knows if they listen to customers Suggestions or how they handle feedback.
    I am a Letter carrier (MailMan) Once I dropped a nokia in someones frontyard I have to walkbak 2-3 streets again. these Treo's are expencive and important so I leave my phone behind in Mail van when I go to deliver the street, I come to my vehicle/Phone every 20 minuets or so.
    >>A>>If I have a missed call I can not find out until I turn-on the display.They can simply put small diffrent color led or flash pattren or another lcd, So people can find out if they have a missed call or message etc. Without turning on the display. Any One Know How this problem Is going to be handled in Treo 600 ??????
    >>B>>Another problem was no java applet support So I can not control some swithes and view my home. Now I heard treo600 support java script that mean I can have a auto refreshing page/picture every x seconds. what about rascal cache is it been adjustabe now So i can get new pictore every x seconds even same file name.
    >>C>>Addetional Storage and Mp3 Is already added which a big plus
    >>D>>I was also considering P800 these both have uncovered camera lens but . but can anyone compare these 2
    Thanks