Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by UGlee
    Static capture of pictures is possible at 640x480. But it is definitly impossible for video. VCD uses MPEG encoding and has a resolution of around 320x240, 15bit color @ 25 fps. It's a heavy burder for a 133MHz Pentium to decode and playback it. PC has a dedicated video chip for fast screen-rendering, while palm device doesn't. So, do you think a OMAP 710 @ 133MHz can manage the Video capture (I/O data streaming), screen playback (Memory & I/D data streaming), as well as data encoding simutaneously? I dont. I think the only practical video resolution on Treo or similar handheld device is 160 x 120. A low-ers screen is enough for this task. It probably performs even better than a hi-res one. considering that even interpolation of 160x120 to 320x240 dramatically lower the performance since they need quad memory bandwidth and memory space, plus CPU load of interpolation algorithm. Simply considering the speed deterioration when stretching a 160x120 to full screen on your Pocket PC (with a 200MHz ARM or slower CPU). You can judge it.....

Thanks UGlee!! Thats very helpful info!

Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Wrong. The most important thing is total resolution, because that puts up an impenetrable barrier regarding how much information you can display at once. Dot pitch is a completely secondary concern.

If one considers the dot pitch to be too small, one can always move the display closer to one's eyes, assuming one doesn't have uncorrected farsightedness. Even in the latter case, there's always the possibility of selecting larger fonts.

The reverse situation does not hold. If the screen res is only 160x160, there's nothing you can do to view more information all at once. You can scale down a 320x320 bitmap to 160x160, but it's very likely that essential detail will be lost. Alternatively, you can make a 320x320 virtual screen with a 160x160 window that can pan around the four quadrants, but this is very awkward.

In all the debate about resolution in this thread, I'm surprised so few mentions have been made of the web browsing experience. Besides wireless email, that's clearly the killer app for a converged cell phone / PDA, and it's the one application that benefits the most from a higher resolution screen, since except on a few mobile-optimized sites, you're dealing with content designed for desktop web browsers with much higher resolutions.
    Thats also another excellent point Dan! If anyone doesn't know what he's talking about, the I would seriously recommend heading of to an electronics/computer store and take a look at the web browsing capabilities on the Tungsten C! It is simply fabulous experience in comparison to the Treo. I'm suprised HS didn't take into consideration this functionality when choosing this screen...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/06/2003 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by aarons12
    when we were working on ringtones, folks asked for voices that said things like 'incoming call' or whatever. that can't be done with midi and would require mp3 playback ability. which would also probably need a bigger speaker.
    One of my daughter's "ringtones" on her cell phone is a voice that says "your phone is ringing", pause, "your phone is ringing" etc. Very cute. Hers is a fairly new phone, but I doubt it has mp3 playback utility etc.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I'd be shocked if it did. Several reasons:
    1) Sprint owns their all-digital network. When you roam, you're using someone else's network and they have to hit you with roaming fees.
    2) Analog is a major battery-drainer.
    3) You can't utilize data services in analog mode (e.g. - email, web browsing, etc.).
    4) The cell networks are building more digital towers and expanding their network. Two years ago, analog was a necessity, now it's much less so.

Scott
    You spend too much time in the city, man. Get out in the country, and you will find no digital towers. Nada. Only along the major roads. The analog network is far more extensive, in my neck of the woods.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be possible for an ambitious third party to write an app for video recording, even if it's not built-in? (This is assuming, of course, that the processor can handle it.)
    Originally posted by Iceman6

One of my daughter's "ringtones" on her cell phone is a voice that says "your phone is ringing", pause, "your phone is ringing" etc. Very cute. Hers is a fairly new phone, but I doubt it has mp3 playback utility etc.
    i don't know and you may well be correct, but don't think it's midi either, which is pretty limited to instruments. of course, i by no means know everything about the various fomats available. could very well be WAV or WMA, which would also work. but my comment was just that none of these have everything that everybody wants.

thanks for the info, though, cool to know someone has thought of that already.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12

i don't know and you may well be correct, but don't think it's midi either, which is pretty limited to instruments. of course, i by no means know everything about the various fomats available. could very well be WAV or WMA, which would also work. but my comment was just that none of these have everything that everybody wants.

thanks for the info, though, cool to know someone has thought of that already.
    Some of the latest phones have support for playing something that's derived from a wav. I know that with the latest Sprint Vision capable phones, you can download a Pure Voice QCP file (made from a wav file) to be a ringtone.
    Originally posted by craigdts

I was told the list price will be $499. So hopefully w/ the introduction of the device sprint will offer some kind of rebate.
    Of course, all rebates will be for new subscribers only, leaving the Treo300 people with longer contracts paying full price.
    Originally posted by silverado
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet that this new device does not have 160x160 resolution. I wouldn't get too worked up over this until there is some real word regarding it. As you all already expressed, it's unbelievable. Therefore, I don't believe it.

Sorry, octagonmost... nothing personal.
    I haven't got through the rest of the posts yet, so someone may have finally confirmed it one way or another.

But I'd be betting that it has a 160x160 screen. Think about it. This screen is smaller than the already small treo screens. I doubt that HS could even find a 320x320 screen that small for sale.

Besides, a 160x160 screen as small as described will have it's pixels jammed really close together. I'm betting that images will look nearly as sharp on this screen as on a hi-res screen.
    Originally posted by twalk

I'm betting that images will look nearly as sharp on this screen as on a hi-res screen.
    That's the thinking here. Just that. No problem here if that's true.

Besides, a 160x160 screen as small as described will have it's pixels jammed really close together. I'm betting that images will look nearly as sharp on this screen as on a hi-res screen.
    Sharpness is one concern, but it still doesn't change the fact that you cannot display any more on the new screen than you could on the original Pilot screen.

I doubt that HS could even find a 320x320 screen that small for sale...
    Read the rest of the thread. This is not true as I stated ealier...

I'd be shocked if it did. Several reasons:
    1) Sprint owns their all-digital network. When you roam, you're using someone else's network and they have to hit you with roaming fees.
    2) Analog is a major battery-drainer.
    3) You can't utilize data services in analog mode (e.g. - email, web browsing, etc.).
    4) The cell networks are building more digital towers and expanding their network. Two years ago, analog was a necessity, now it's much less so.

Scott
    Scott, while it's true Sprint may have drastically improved their digial coverage in the last couple years, this does not mean AMPS is not a necessity especially to enterprise users who depend on their phones. I know tons of business users who will refuse to buy any mobile without the the failsafe knowledge of analog roaming. Their mobiles are often their offices and they make omnipresent coverage as necessity. While Sprint's coverage is pretty good in most metropolitan areas, if you take a drive off the major interstaes, you often still find a lack of good coverage. IMO this is quite the opposite of Verizon which has excellent cellular converage but not as great digital coverage as Sprint (yet that is). Thus I think if the Treo600 is a monoband cdma1900Mhz/1xrtt like the Treo300, then it will definitely disuade alot of business users which is worrisome since Sprint should be targeting this market extensively. I hope the Treo600 turns out to be a Dual-Band/Tri-Mode smartphone like various other SprintPCS mobiles...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/06/2003 at 04:32 PM.
    Sorry to contribute to getting us severely off-topic, but I did want to ask about this. I realize that the various networks in the US are a drag. I buy a phone and when my contract is up I can't move to another network with that same phone (assuming I don't want to just upgrade to a new one, which is probably not the case these days anyway). But, outside of the US, aren't you paying a good deal more for your unlocked phones than we pay for equivalent phones? Yes, we're locked into Sprint (or whatever) for a year, but we're getting our phones at a big discount.

Scott
    In much of Asia we pay a little more for the phone, but the service is much cheaper, and so we have control of our costs. Would you buy a car from Ford if it was $10,000 for the car, but it only ran on Ford gas at $5 a gallon. Not me.

When the system is set up this way, old phones become products to sell, with the cost going towards your new phone. You can upgrade every 6 months, or have two or three phones, like fashion statements. Some shops will take trade-ins on your old phone towards your new one.

With prepaid cards and old cell phones going for as low as $15 or $20, it is pretty cheap to get up and going if you need to.

Some people have 2 or 3 different GSM cards and switch them in and out of their phones depending on the time of day and who they want to hear from.

A much better system.
    the only thing that bothers me about the next generation treo is the appearance .... reminds me of a palm tungsten :-(

i've always admired not only the technology but also the aesthetics of the treo line and sorry to say this ... the thing looks **** ugly!

hey handspring ... did ideo also do the design of this or did you guys hire someone else?
    Well, I think its beautiful. And, there's no cover to break off. I can't wait to get one. I'll gladly pay $500 for it.

The Samsung SPH-i500 is going for $599 at CompUSA right now. Its got no keyboard, uses OS 4.1, has a smaller screen and no camera.

At $500 or so, the 600 is a great deal.

I wish I could pre order one right now.
    Last edited by Stickman; 06/07/2003 at 01:23 AM.
    Originally posted by mpk65281

Of course, all rebates will be for new subscribers only, leaving the Treo300 people with longer contracts paying full price.
    If you don't insist on keeping your current Sprint phone nmber .. then you are effectively a new subscriber. Your new sprint number would be a new account, eh?

You as a consumer have some leverage .. You will cancel your current service (for my Treo300 .. I purchased it out-right .. no Sprint deals .. hence no threat of Sprint attempting to charge me more $ for a pre-mature cancellation contract (I dont' have one!) .. So .. I can cancel service and NOT activate a new one .. Sprint effectively loses 2 accounts .. the existing one and a new one. (Don't strain yourselves over the math .. )

If at $499 .. I may wait a year to read posts here to see if the new phone/pda is all its hyped up to be .. Sprint may get the head start w/the new phone ... but I'm sure .. AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile .. will be watching the market as well and will have their TREOs out too.

Think of it .. a PalmSprint Treo w/AT&T service??
    Jdave : you from Philippines?

I agree w/ what you said.
    Originally posted by inqui-Z-tor

If you don't insist on keeping your current Sprint phone nmber .. then you are effectively a new subscriber. Your new sprint number would be a new account, eh?

Portability is here finally in the us.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by mpk65281

No garuntees that they would do it again, but Handspring did have a rebate for customers who previously had a Visor Phone and wanted to upgrade to a treo.

I upgraded.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    on a related topic, i wonder how long the $10 unlimited web service will last for those of us who signed up early... especially if we end up switching phones and want any kind of rebate or deal or whatever
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    No garuntees that they would do it again, but Handspring did have a rebate for customers who previously had a Visor Phone and wanted to upgrade to a treo. I upgraded.
    The rebate was provided because Handpsring/Sprint had originally advertised that VisorPhone was upgradeable to 2.5G / Vision. Due to the low sales volume they decided to it was not prudent to fund the design of the upgrade and hence offered the upgrade.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org