Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1.    #421  
    I too was initially put off by no jog wheel. In fact, I only noticed that when I checked the device for like the third time. But when I talked with the Handspring folks, they showed me the functionality of the D-pad, and how it interacts with the improved apps, and the d-pad is better. Here's why:
    If any of you have purchased the add-on app called PowerJog, where some (but not all, in every app) of the text boxes on the screen are selectable - that's how the d-pad works now, but in pretty much all apps, they told me. I didn't play with it in every situation, so I can't speak to the volume control thing (but since it sits in between the 4 app buttons, like the current rocker switch, you'd HAVE to assume the d-pad controls volume).
    My quick opinions are that the overall user experience is MUCH improved, in many subtle ways - one handed dialing, having apps available in the so-called speed dial buckets, eliminating the need for hacks like switcheroo,, having the speed dial buckets be based on contacts (with pop-ups for ALL their phone #s, not just one, and their e-mail address) and those kinds of things. I say that folks will be as jazzed about those less-obvious improvements as they are now about things like SD, big battery, 133Mhz, etc.
    It's the whole package that will get people excited.
    Now we just need to get them in the stores!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

If the camera did record video, I wonder how it would look on that 160x160 screen. My guess it will be a standard 640x480 camera with similar video capture capabilty as the P800 if true. Too bad the camera isn't on the front, it would have been cool to figure out if video conferencing was possible!!
    The camera is on the back so you can preview the picture before you take it.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I made this new picture to more accurately reflect the new Treo in Jeffs hand.

I think the new Treo 600 is going to rock!!!!

I would never underestimate Jeff Hawkins ability. He is one of the greatest desingers that ever walked planet earth.

Jake
    I have two things to say:

1. Very nice rendering!

2. Wow, does that keyboard look tiny.
    personally i have mostly used the jog dial just as a button to press. have not worked it into most of my treo routine and so would not miss it a bit
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by Toto AB
    When you talk LCD, the most important thing is the "pitch", or the space between each pixel. Obviously 320x320 does not mean anything if the LCD is 5 inches wide...

So comparing "pitch" from very rough measurements:
    T | C & T | W: ~ 0.19mm
    Sony P800: ~ 0.20mm
    Treo 600: ~ ~ 0.26mm
    (based on assumptions of size above)
    Treo 270: 0.30mm
    Visor: ~ 0.35mm
    "mainstream" LCD monitor: 0.26mm

If you want to see what the 0.26mm pitch means, look at your LCD monitor from 1 to 1.5 feet away (typical distance between your phone and your eyes).

The bottomline is that Treos are not defined by features & numbers. Ask yourself why you like your Treo. Is it because of the size of RAM? Processor Speed? No, it's the complete user experience .

The question then is: does a pitch of 0.26mm give a very good user experience?

And BTW, if they wanted to have a 320x320 screen in that size, the pitch would have been 0.13. I don't even know if this is feasible...
    Wrong. The most important thing is total resolution, because that puts up an impenetrable barrier regarding how much information you can display at once. Dot pitch is a completely secondary concern.

If one considers the dot pitch to be too small, one can always move the display closer to one's eyes, assuming one doesn't have uncorrected farsightedness. Even in the latter case, there's always the possibility of selecting larger fonts.

The reverse situation does not hold. If the screen res is only 160x160, there's nothing you can do to view more information all at once. You can scale down a 320x320 bitmap to 160x160, but it's very likely that essential detail will be lost. Alternatively, you can make a 320x320 virtual screen with a 160x160 window that can pan around the four quadrants, but this is very awkward.

In all the debate about resolution in this thread, I'm surprised so few mentions have been made of the web browsing experience. Besides wireless email, that's clearly the killer app for a converged cell phone / PDA, and it's the one application that benefits the most from a higher resolution screen, since except on a few mobile-optimized sites, you're dealing with content designed for desktop web browsers with much higher resolutions.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    The color Danger device is coming out tomorrow for about $300 (camera is optional at about $30-40, but I personally would disregard this anyway because initial samples of the picture quality are horrid). It's not cheap, but by the time the Treo 600 comes out, I'd expect it to be selling for less than this initial $300 price. With the roomier thumbboard and multitasking OS, it makes a more capable IM and email device (unless you have more high-end requirements for email such as dealing with a corporate back-end). The screen res is higher at 240x160, so browsing web pages will be a bit nicer as well.

So, who's left? People who want to run Palm OS software.
    No, I think you understate it. It's "people who want to run add-on software" of any kind. Danger only recently released the first beta version of their SDK, in mid-March. I just checked Handango, pdaPointer, PDAStreet, and Tucows, and none of them have a Danger category yet.

The inability (at least for the present and near future) to add a database application, SSH client, etc., to the Danger devices make them a no-go for me.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    ... the d-pad is better. Here's why...
    nrosser:

Excellent detailing there. Very much appreciated. Goodbye to JogDial and PowerJog. That's at least one app I won't have to load.
    Yeah...the functionality you described of the speed dial buttons sounds very cool. At 320x320 I may buy this thing even if the price is high.

TM
    Hey nrosser,

Did the booth dudes get online (or let you) with the T600? If so, how did web pages fare on the screen? Did it look "hi rez?"
    i still say that part of the issue is the variety of wants and wishes of users, and no device in the forseeable future will accomodate all.

when we were working on ringtones, folks asked for voices that said things like 'incoming call' or whatever. that can't be done with midi and would require mp3 playback ability. which would also probably need a bigger speaker.

personally, i have not found the screen on the treo300 to inhibit what i want to do at all. of course i would always like to see a better and brighter screen.

i also know that while i might have a little fun with a camera built in, and i would certainly not NOT buy one (that didn't sound quite right but so it goes) just because it has a camera, but i am a shutterbug and i know that it will be a long time before they get a truly decent lens and pixel count in a camera that is part of a phone. for other folks, this was a make-or-break issue.

many folks also thought size was a huge issue (pun intended) while others, myself included, did not.

a lot of folks seem to think that not having bluetooth is a dealbreaker, while the pc industry is seriously re-thinking bluetooth because of inherent problems.

i happen to like the way the flip protects the screen, others seem happy to see it go.

and on and on...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  11.    #431  
    Nope, I didn't get a chance to really use the phone or web functions in a live fashion- after a while, they really got a little tired of me as I kept coming over to the booth, and asking to hold the ONE device they had, at the time. The guy was like - yeah, OK, one more time.
    But - as I've said, I liked the screen a LOT. it was smaller than the current screens, but much brighter. I don't <think> it's as nice as the W or C screens, but - those are different devices, really.
    So after all the bashing for referring to tri-band instead of tri-mode, no one seemed to really know if analog roaming will be available with this device.

Any educated guesses? That's the one thing I HATE about my 300.

Brandon
    Originally posted by cbtrussell
    So after all the bashing for referring to tri-band instead of tri-mode, no one seemed to really know if analog roaming will be available with this device.

I'd be shocked if it did. Several reasons:
    1) Sprint owns their all-digital network. When you roam, you're using someone else's network and they have to hit you with roaming fees.
    2) Analog is a major battery-drainer.
    3) You can't utilize data services in analog mode (e.g. - email, web browsing, etc.).
    4) The cell networks are building more digital towers and expanding their network. Two years ago, analog was a necessity, now it's much less so.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    It seems from the poll in another thread that HS has alienated a lot of us with low-res. If they want to appeal to the masses, then the price better be <$300. I'd buy it for that price. For $500, I want something I can use 2 yrs from now without worrying about loss of functionality. BT will also be missed, but it can be added via a hypothetical BT+Wi-Fi SD 256 MB card 2 YEARS from now. I am still amazed that *ANYONE* would make a low-res OS5 device. Working on an Excel workbook isn't very useful @ 160X160.
    Originally posted by silverado

craigdts in this thread did say that it would record video. Why do you preclude recording audio?
    no there's no video recording . . . as you pan or scroll the camera, u get a "live" video feed look on the screen (like most digital cameras). But the pictures are still shots.
    Originally posted by craigdts

no there's no video recording . . . as you pan or scroll the camera, u get a "live" video feed look on the screen (like most digital cameras). But the pictures are still shots.
    Ah, OK. Thanks for the correction.
    Originally posted by silverado

I think it really is. If the device is bottom-weighted as was reported, it would be wonderful to use with one hand!!
    yes it is bottom weighted, and your right thumb will sit on the d-pad; therefore, the old scroll dial on the left of the 300 is no longer necessary, w/ the dpad u can move right, left, up, and down very quickly.

if u click the middle button of the dpad, it will pull up a drop down menu w/ all applications, then u can use the pad to select the app u want and launch it by pressing the center dpad button.

This device can truly be used w/ one hand (and like i posted earlier thats why things have shifted, to adjust for a majority of right handed users.
    Originally posted by cbtrussell

Brandon
    now, i do not know what tri-band/mode means, but as i've told rvwink (i guess i did it thru email) that i overheard someone as a question about tri mode and the rep was no its not, dont know if that would make it dual or single (those of u who know about this subject could probably draw conclusions about this).
    The reason i dont have any better facts about this is becuase i didnt ask it, and when i heard it i had just got the 600 in my hands for the first time.

apparently this device will not be for everyone here (at least it appears from the messages i'm reading).

But i will be buying one as soon as it is released (hopefully i can sell my t300 for about $150), but my wife will most likely be getting one later (but then again she may insist on one).

I was told the list price will be $499. So hopefully w/ the introduction of the device sprint will offer some kind of rebate.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I made this new picture to more accurately reflect the new Treo in Jeffs hand.

I think the new Treo 600 is going to rock!!!!

I would never underestimate Jeff Hawkins ability. He is one of the greatest desingers that ever walked planet earth.

Jake
    looking better, but as ive said before on the version i saw it was darker than jeffs, sprint is written on top right, treo was just above dpad below the screen.
    also the dpad is oval, the app buttons around the dpad are essentially run in a horizontal straight line.

the led light - its where i had drawn it in the sketch i did (u can see it from the front or the top (so u can see it in a clip or something).

One more comment on the device jeff had - the one is saw had a much more professional look to it because of its color scheme. i'm thinking his is an early prototype.

regarding the case : the treo 300 has screw holes in the back, i do remember noting as i was looking it over how clean it was on the back - i dont think there were any holes where the screws held the case together. just adds to beauty

and of couse all the icons in OS5 have been updated and look more stylish

regarding internet usage, we connected shortly to view someone's personal website - the page download was faster than the treo 300, probably simply due to the faster processor.
    Originally posted by craigdts

... regarding internet usage, we connected shortly to view someone's personal website - the page download was faster than the treo 300, probably simply due to the faster processor.
    What can you say about the quality, resolution of the web page, in terms of the new screen, and was it a "Treo-Friendly" formatted page, or just the usual?