Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Yes, low-res is indeed a dealbreaker for many Palm users. But new treo isnt aimed at them. We dont know if Treo will be widely accepted by smart phone user (Apparently Mr. Hawkins and his team hope so). But in traditional palm user side, There seems not to have enough user amount to make the Treo successful.

Not every palm user need a wireless connection. Many wont, since Zire series make big sales. Even a palm user need a wireless, they may choose Wifi rather than Cellular. Ok, even some of them prefer cellular, they can choose to carry two pieces of device (say TT and phone), cause they need a larger screen to read docs and web pages.

Comparing with smartphone market, PDA market is smaller. Not much at this moment, but the former is fast growing and the latter seems to be shrinking. Although facing Nokia/Motorola/Samsung is a huge risk for Handspring, but this is the only way to survive in the handheld market for a long-term. They have no other choice.

So, the opinion of current Palm device user on Treo isn't that important for its success. The judgement of a common smartphone buyer that if the size/form factor, fast-messaging, Web surfing capability and palm apps well worth the price, is more important for the success of new Treo. Sadly to say this, but the palm apps seems to be the last add-on value for treo.

Hope a success, but basically a step into unknown.

Originally posted by Japorms
    Read the whole post here, read all topics in other forums regarding the 160 x 160 screen. a BIG percentage of people consider it a dealbreaker.
    remember that this is the only os5 device w/ 160 x 160 display. I highly doubt smaller software companies will waste effort to support it.
    If you can accept the 160 x 160 display doesnt mean others will and vice versa.
    Anybody read this little article at C|Net??

Article

It says this at the bottom:

"The Treo 600, if it retains that name, is not a flip phone, like its predecessors. The device has a built-in camera, high-resolution display, and a Secure Digital expansion slot."

I wonder what their source is, high resolution display???
    Originally posted by Appleman
    "High resolution" is a vague meaningless term unless it is used within a certain context. At 160x160, the Treo 600 would, indeed, offer a high-resolution display as compared to most cell phones. When Kyocera first announced the 7135 (OS4, 160x160), they stated in all of their press releases that it offered a high-resolution screen. So there you go.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I bet gfunkmagic is getting a heart attack AGAIN.

Anybody read this little article at C|Net??

Article

It says this at the bottom:

"The Treo 600, if it retains that name, is not a flip phone, like its predecessors. The device has a built-in camera, high-resolution display, and a Secure Digital expansion slot."

Originally posted by Scott R
    "High resolution" is a vague meaningless term unless it is used within a certain context. At 160x160, the Treo 600 would, indeed, offer a high-resolution display as compared to most cell phones. When Kyocera first announced the 7135 (OS4, 160x160), they stated in all of their press releases that it offered a high-resolution screen. So there you go.

Scott
    True, but if the context is Palm OS handhelds, it could actually mean a 320x320 display. A lot of articles regarding Palm OS devices simply state High Res to compare it to the standard res of 160x160.
    True, but if the context is Palm OS handhelds, it could actually mean a 320x320 display. A lot of articles regarding Palm OS devices simply state High Res to compare it to the standard res of 160x160.
    Yes, you would think they'd do that. But, as I said, Kyocera did this a while ago. All of the forums were lit up with people getting excited about the prospect of a 320x320 smartphone and then people finally found out that Kyocera's definition of "high-res" differed from the average geek's definition. Maybe (hopefully) the Treo 600 will be 320x320. I'm just saying that smartphone makers can use the term "high-res" to suit their own purposes.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by UGlee
    I bet gfunkmagic is getting a heart attack AGAIN.

Yes, please don't torture me like that!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dulan
    Did I miss something??? What video clip
    Sorry, false alarm. I was referring to the press release photo, which I thought was taken from a video of a press conference.
    Originally posted by Iceman6

Sorry, false alarm. I was referring to the press release photo, which I thought was taken from a video of a press conference.
    there is a video, it was shown at the sprint conference.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Has anyone seen this list of specs that says the camera on the Treo 600 will be able to record video? Can anyone confirm this? It is hard to imagine recording video with no sound recording.

http://www.bargainpda.com/price/defa...=productDetail
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    As a happy owner of a 270 for one year, I've compiled what I would want my next phone to have based on my experiences with this one, and what do you think is at the top of the list?

1. 320x320 screen (I wish Sony would just make a Clie into a phone and save us all the trouble, their screen is beautiful)

2. Faster web surfing. The T|C has set the standard IMO

3. Transflective screen. Covering the screen with your cupped hands outdoors and squinting looks pretty silly in public.

There were other things that are addressed... more memory, the ability to use as an .mp3 player and a D-pad instead of just up and down (finally it will be easy to move the cursor to the left without having to backspace). Actually, the 300 fixed some of the things I didn't like about my 270 (no flimsy hatch on the back, which makes it difficult to play any arcade game, and a polyphonic speaker). But since having a 320x320 screen is at the top of the list, I'll have to look at other options. I don't understand why Handspring doesn't do what Palm did with the Tungsten line and just make different versions. They can make a 160x160 screen version for the cheapskates, and a 320x320 screen for the power users. If they don't, I might have to go bigger and get a Pocket PC phone, or an 800... This sucks!
    I made this new picture to more accurately reflect the new Treo in Jeffs hand.

I think the new Treo 600 is going to rock!!!!

I would never underestimate Jeff Hawkins ability. He is one of the greatest desingers that ever walked planet earth.

Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/06/2003 at 05:06 AM.
    Originally posted by vaylen
    I don't understand why Handspring doesn't do what Palm did with the Tungsten line and just make different versions.
    They will make different versions. We haven't even seen this one yet. And the only two (!) eyewitness reports claim the screen is great at whatever the rez. The remedy is to wait.

The only thing that's really bugging me is the loss of JogDial. Is it possible to dance the Treo with just one hand using a D-Pad?
    Last edited by elysian9; 06/06/2003 at 12:37 AM.
    Originally posted by jbronner
    Has anyone seen this list of specs that says the camera on the Treo 600 will be able to record video? Can anyone confirm this? It is hard to imagine recording video with no sound recording.

If the camera did record video, I wonder how it would look on that 160x160 screen. My guess it will be a standard 640x480 camera with similar video capture capabilty as the P800 if true. Too bad the camera isn't on the front, it would have been cool to figure out if video conferencing was possible!!
    Originally posted by elysian9
    The only thing that's really bugging me is the loss of JogDial. Is it possible to dance the Treo with just one hand using a D-Pad?
    Hopefully the volume control acts as like a jog dial in certain applications.
    Originally posted by jbronner

craigdts in this thread did say that it would record video. Why do you preclude recording audio?
    Originally posted by elysian9

I think it really is. If the device is bottom-weighted as was reported, it would be wonderful to use with one hand!!
    Static capture of pictures is possible at 640x480. But it is definitly impossible for video. VCD uses MPEG encoding and has a resolution of around 320x240, 15bit color @ 25 fps. It's a heavy burder for a 133MHz Pentium to decode and playback it. PC has a dedicated video chip for fast screen-rendering, while palm device doesn't. So, do you think a OMAP 710 @ 133MHz can manage the Video capture (I/O data streaming), screen playback (Memory & I/D data streaming), as well as data encoding simutaneously? I dont. I think the only practical video resolution on Treo or similar handheld device is 160 x 120. A low-ers screen is enough for this task. It probably performs even better than a hi-res one. considering that even interpolation of 160x120 to 320x240 dramatically lower the performance since they need quad memory bandwidth and memory space, plus CPU load of interpolation algorithm. Simply considering the speed deterioration when stretching a 160x120 to full screen on your Pocket PC (with a 200MHz ARM or slower CPU). You can judge it.

Even at 160x120, video conference call is difficult. You must deal with video capturing, encoding, network protocol, duplex streaming, decoding and playing-back the upcoming data stream simutaneously. A very very hard load for OMAP 710.

Absolutely, Video applications, such as capturing/playback, on-line TV program, and video conference call, are KILLER applications.

Optimazed for them, you should choose a more powerful CPU, say XScale 300MHz in i500 (also more power-consuming), a more beautiful screen, say 320x320 Transflective TFT (also more power-consuming).

Here we have two different choice:

1. SGH i500, better video capabilities
    2. Treo 600, doubled battery life (half cpu power comsumption and half screen power consumption and 50% more batter juice), i.e. far more web-surfing time.

Which one is your choice? Mine is the second. Sacrifice the great video performance to a moderate one, and get one or two hours of extended web-surfing time. Its a good bargain.

I do look forward to the video applicaitons, especially the online TV program and video conference. If they hit the mainstream market, I will call them "revolution". But, the successful revolution should take place at the RIGHT time, when the hardware and network capabilities meet the requirements, so does the cost, either.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

If the camera did record video, I wonder how it would look on that 160x160 screen. My guess it will be a standard 640x480 camera with similar video capture capabilty as the P800 if true. Too bad the camera isn't on the front, it would have been cool to figure out if video conferencing was possible!!
    Last edited by UGlee; 06/06/2003 at 06:36 AM.
    Originally posted by silverado

I think it really is. If the device is bottom-weighted as was reported, it would be wonderful to use with one hand!!
    So maybe losing JD is not a big deal. Perhaps even on the smaller form factor JD could be inferior to DP.

I wonder if craigdts and nrosser could comment on this?
    What if ...

PalmSprings (I like that name) .. offer'd Treo600 ..

[1] Turn in your Treo300 + $250

For me .. if cost is <$300 .. I'll be on the waiting list.

$300< $ < $500 .. I'll wait 6mos to a year to see "what else" is brewing at PalmSprings.

>$500 .. I'll wait longer!

Now .. once the device actually is released ..