Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Prudence dictates that until Handspring itself releases public information about the new product (1) no new named-by-proxy forum be created and (2) carriers be attributed as carrying it!
    Well let's see here:

1.) The Treo 300 forum was created well before HS officially announced the device and

2.) Donna Dubinsky (Handspring) has already stated that Sprint will carry the new Treo (http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/222-1.htm)

I don't think there is any doubt that a new Treo is coming and Sprint will carry it (again, see the story I referenced in addition to the reports of the JH video being shown at a Sprint conference) thus a Treo 600 forum should be created.
    Prudence dictates that until Handspring itself releases public information about the new product (1) no new named-by-proxy forum be created and (2) carriers be attributed as carrying it!
    Shaddup

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  3.    #23  
    yes - send me your Paypal donations so I can run and buy a new one of these and answer ALL the questions. Here's a little more info, in an attempt to address some of the questions posted above:
    - CDMA only now - although the sales dude at the booth made no commitment about Orange.
    - TFT screen - but that same guy also called the screen 'VGA' and the guy from Airprime in the next booth popped up & said it's TFT. The sales guy didn't really know about transflective vs TFT, etc (nor do I really). Screen seemed really good though. I asked if 64K colors and he didn't know.
    - ARM processor
    - OS5
    - screen was told to me to be much more usable in the sun
    - case not metal - was a grey metallic plastic.
    - camera flash? unknown as well as megapixels.
    - touchscreen of course
    - Sprint the only carrier now, according to the booth dude
    - overall size? similar width to 6035, but not as tall. About 3/4 the height of the 6035 is my best guess. A little smaller than I330, but the overall style (candy bar) is close.
    Oh and the guy said they put a thin plastic covering on the glass to address concerns about scratches. I didn't notice any degradation of visibility, however.
    And the unit I saw was Sprint branded, which would make sense.

Anything else? (I feel like Bruce Almighty here - I've got the power!)
    Last edited by nrosser; 06/02/2003 at 11:47 PM.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    I don't think there is any doubt that a new Treo is coming and Sprint will carry it (again, see the story I referenced in addition to the reports of the JH video being shown at a Sprint conference) thus a Treo 600 forum should be created.
    Whole heartedly agreed!
    (1) Why do you think it should be called the "TREO 600" forum?

(2) The only words in either the CEO's or CFO's comment w.r.t. Sprint and the new product are the very vague:

== "...we've been working with Sprint on our mutual plans for a
    == major new product expected this fall..."

Handspring says a WHOLE lot more about Orange. We know what that means - right? There is no Sprint planned purchase at this time.

To the useless detractor who simply said "Shut up" - sounds like a financial message board!
    Anything else? (I feel like Bruce Almighty here - I've got the power!)
    Anything else??? Yes!! Pictures..... please!!

nrosser, if you don't have a digital camera w/ you grab someone with a digital camera phone and have them email you the pictures -- then post. One way or another, please don't leave the building without pictures.

Not sure how I feel after reading how you compared it to the Kyo 6035. I've been lugging one around for the past two years and I'm pretty sick of it's size. Please assure me that the Treo 600 will fit comfortably in a belt holster.
    go.digital
    MP3?
    A different poster on another message board says he contact Handspring Investor Relations and confirmed certain details about the new product.
    Is the new Treo tri-band, or will it be stuck with the same reception problems as the 300?
    ...said "Shut up"...
    I said "Shaddup", you qouted me wrong.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  11.    #31  
    talked with yet more HAND dudes. Not TFT - it's called 'SuperTwist' - whatever that is. Someone with a clue - chime in.
    32mb onboard.
    Battery - it was either 1600 or 1800 MAh. Can't recall which.
    They're tiring of me now at the booth - the smiles have turned tight-lipped. That's all I've got from the show floor.
    Good luck to all! They said October for a release date.
    A different poster on another message board says he contact Handspring Investor Relations and confirmed certain details about the new product.
    Could you provide a link?
    go.digital
    nrosser:

1) If it's OS5/ARM, I'll assume it can do MP3. But I suppose we'd still need to know if the headphone jack can do stereo.

2) Is battery removable?

3) Did you get a chance to actually try and use the thumbboard? Would you say you liked it better, worse, or about the same as the current one?

Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    One final comment...I'm bummed about it not having a screen cover built-in. Right now I stick my Treo 300 in my pocket as-is because in its standard configuration, it has all of the protection it really needs (I will say that I've made it a habit not to carry anything else in that particular pocket for fear of scratching the Treo). But with this new model, even in an otherwise empty pocket, I'd still be concerned that dust particles would scratch my screen which means I'd have to invest in some sort of slip-case or something which would now add to the size of what looks to be an already bigger device.

Other opinions on this?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    To summarize the current known specs:

- camera on top
    - camera flash unknown
    - camera megapixels unknown
    - SD slot on top (SDIO)
    - Thumboard on bottom
    - D-pad above the thumboard, the usual 4 app buttons. No JogDial
    - Not TFT - 'SuperTwist.' Somewhat smaller screen, better visibility in sunlight. Touchscreen.
    - No flip
    - Antenna stub on upper left
    - Somewhat longer but narrower than Treo 300
    - Case grey metallic plastic, not metal (gun-metal blue?)
    - CDMA only. Sprint the only carrier.
    - ARM processor
    - OS5
    - 32mb onboard
    - Battery - either 1600 or 1800 MAh (non-removable)
    - Headphone jack, unknown
    - MP3, unknown

Did I miss something? Might be nice if this could be updated as/if more comes in.
    Last edited by elysian9; 06/02/2003 at 06:24 PM.
    Where? Would you please to post a link?

Thanks so much for all the info!!

One question for you:

Aside from specs, what is your overall impression of the device? Exciting? Ho-hum?

How does it compare with the Tungsten's, Kyoceras, and Samsung's, P800's (and Treos) of the world?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Scott R
    One final comment...I'm bummed about it not having a screen cover built-in.
    (snip)
    Other opinions on this?
    I was just at Disney World with my Treo 300. Boy if that wasn't a perfect test case. Riding the monorail and walking in crowds meant that using the Treo was always single-handed. Never knew when you would be enveloped in a crowd or have to hang on to something. The lid made it quite difficult to use in any interactive sense because of the need to quickly stow the device while moving from place to place. There were also huge variations in signal quality, from very good outside, to non-existent while seated on a ride.

I, for one, welcome our new lid-less Treo.
    But somehow I get the feeling it will.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast