Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    "As I see it, most treo users had two requests
    1) a screen we can use in sunlight
    2) a higher resolution"

Actually, I had a 3rd request: a higher *quality* screen technology that eliminated the ghosting and lag on the existing Treo screen (at least on the 270). Pun another way, a 320x320 version of the existing screen would not cut it for me. I agree with you on this too: the T-C and Sony screens are not much bigger and are awesome.

TM
    and don't forget :
    320 x 320 is not only a question of comfort,
    but many new apps written for Palm OS 5 just don't work in low-res.
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    Originally posted by anthonymoody

Sorry, I think you're thinking of portable mobile phone numbers, which has been legislated, and will arrive in the US in November of this year (barring any extensions...the most recent application for an extension by the carriers was turned down).

This means that if you change from TMobile to, say, Sprint, you'll be able to take your phone *number* with you. But not your phone. Changing phone numbers has long been one of the reasons that mobile service in the US is sticky - it's a pain in the *** to switch numbers. This will remove that barrier. But it has nothing to do with taking your actual phone with you.

The legislation also mandates that carriers cannot charge 'hostage fees' to prevent you from switching. They can still have contract cancellation fees, but can't charge a fee to allow you to take your phone number.

TM
    yup .. my mistake ..
  4.    #364  
    I'll say this - the screen on the 600 is smaller than that of the 300 (not by much), and smaller than that of the W or the C (definitely smaller), and much smaller than most of the new Sony devices.
    I would say the overall size is about the same as the screen of the Samsung 300 and 330 phones (if you take away the Graffiti section from those). It's brighter than the 300, for sure, but smaller. Is it so much smaller so as to make it unacceptable or unreadable? I didn't think so when I looked at it, but yep, it's smaller. So then, how does 320x320 and/or Hi-Res fit into that equation? I don't know, but I'm guessing that Handspring wasn't able to have BOTH a small screen (for purposes of a smaller device, with the goal of reaching the MASSES), and hi-res, massive coloration. I think those are mutually exclusive items.

Just wait until you see it to make any judgements or decisions - that's all I'd recommend.
    Hello All:

Last night I read all the posts in this thread, and it was well worth the time invested. Thanks to everyone who posted.

I hope that HS's desire to create a Treo that has broader appeal whether by style or size, doesn't remove the functionality I enjoy with my Treo 300. My only complaint is that I know I have to treat the flip cover gingerly, but otherwise the form factor works for me, and I'm happy that the new browser will support JavaScript. Anyone now buying the Treo 300 with the Sprint PCS unlimited data plan is getting an unbelievably great deal. I know the WSJ did an article about this, but I don't think the general public knows about this.

I think Sprint's and HS's marketing of the Treo has been inadequate. It's a better device, than the press it's received. I'm still getting into debates with people who say that the thumb board is inconveniently small. I use it and I think it's great, and I wouldn't buy another device that didn't have it.

Anyway, I sent messages to various medical listservs and discussion groups yesterday, telling them to go to TreoCentral to check out the buzz. I also posted something regarding this on my blog: http://radio.weblogs.com/0120454/

BKMD
    Is this thread going downhill or what? There hasn't been a reply in almost an hour and a half.
    Originally posted by Treobuddy
    and don't forget :
    320 x 320 is not only a question of comfort,
    but many new apps written for Palm OS 5 just don't work in low-res.
    Are you saying this based on your knowledge of how these applications are developed? There are definitely ways to write OS 5 applications that make them unable to work on other resolutions, however the straightforward way of taking advantage of the high resolutions in OS 5 doesn't require any specific coding. In those cases, the OS takes care of rendering on either resolution.

Of course, the Treo 600 would be the first single density OS 5 device out there, so couldn't have done impirical testing
    Last edited by silverado; 06/05/2003 at 11:01 AM.
    Hello All:

Last night I read all the posts in this thread, and it was well worth the time invested. Thanks to everyone who posted.

I hope that HS's desire to create a Treo that has broader appeal whether by style or size, doesn't remove the functionality I enjoy with my Treo 300. My only complaint is that I know I have to treat the flip cover gingerly, but otherwise the form factor works for me, and I'm happy that the new browser will support JavaScript. Anyone now buying the Treo 300 with the Sprint PCS unlimited data plan is getting an unbelievably great deal. I know the WSJ did an article about this, but I don't think the general public knows about this.

I think Sprint's and HS's marketing of the Treo has been inadequate. It's a better device, than the press it's received. I'm still getting into debates with people who say that the thumb board is inconveniently small. I use it and I think it's great, and I wouldn't buy another device that didn't have it.

Anyway, I sent messages to various medical listservs and discussion groups yesterday, telling them to go to TreoCentral to check out the buzz. I also posted something regarding this on my blog: http://radio.weblogs.com/0120454/

BKMD
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    I know there are a lot of early adopters/technophiles here that want to have the latest and greatest w/ the most impressive list of features, but I am much more interested in a reasonbly priced device that will make me significantly more productive. Someone that knows a lot more about screen technology posted that a 320X320 screen on the Treo 600 would be impractical due to the size and maybe even impossible. Honestly if it is a trade off of not being able to play some high end games specifically written for "high res" while being able save power and cost with no noticeable difference in my primary apps, I say go for the lower res...
    I beg to differ. This is not just about games. High resolution displays are very important and valuble for various tasks such as applications-intensive field work, field data collection, word processing, portable database reference, presentations, and etc. In fact this is one of the major advantages the Tungsten W has over the Treo 300, other than OS 4.x, flash ROM, and SDIO. Also, in regards to power consumption, the Treo 600 will reportedly have a very large battery, in fact it even will be larger than the one in the T|W. The T|W already with the larger screen, SDIO etc has been recognized for its excelent battery longevity. Why on earth couldn't the Treo 600 achieve the same battery longevity with a smaller screen?! I know I'm repeating myself by bring up this point over and over again, but I think this was a major mistake by Handpring. I really want them to succeed with the new Treo, but the 160x160 CSTN screen just appears to be a major blunder IMHO...
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I'll say this - the screen on the 600 is smaller than that of the 300 (not by much), and smaller than that of the W or the C (definitely smaller), and much smaller than most of the new Sony devices.
    I would say the overall size is about the same as the screen of the Samsung 300 and 330 phones (if you take away the Graffiti section from those). It's brighter than the 300, for sure, but smaller. Is it so much smaller so as to make it unacceptable or unreadable? I didn't think so when I looked at it, but yep, it's smaller. So then, how does 320x320 and/or Hi-Res fit into that equation? I don't know, but I'm guessing that Handspring wasn't able to have BOTH a small screen (for purposes of a smaller device, with the goal of reaching the MASSES), and hi-res, massive coloration. I think those are mutually exclusive items...
    Is the screen on the Treo 600 smaller than the one on the SGH-i500?! I seriously doubt it! (I posted a pic earlier in this thread of the screen on the SGH, you might want to check it out.) Thus I totally disagree with your statement that having a both a "small screen" and "hi-rez" are mutually exclusive. The fact is that the technology for such a screen exists, it's just that for some reason Handspring decided NOT to use it. Whatever reasons they may give, it is a huge gamble IMO to go with this screen. Hopefully HS will realize this and release an updated version of the Treo600 with a new screen. Perhaps they should look no farther than they're new partners in PSG who learned the hard way how important a nice screen is for a mobile device (i.e the M505 and T|T screen debacles).
    Isn't the SGH a WAP phone? My Treo 300 is looking better, every time I make a comparison.

BKMD
    Originally posted by wireless-doc
    Isn't the SGH a WAP phone? My Treo 300 is looking better, every time I make a comparison.

BKMD
    No. It will be a triband GSM/GPRS (class 8) smartphone with a flip cover design similar to the SPH-i500. You can read a mini-review of it here.
    As for OS5 apps: Armlets can be written in an OS5 app that can take advantage of an arm chip. These won't work on the previous OSs. OS 5 was also written so that it can be customized easily. Just look at the differences in a Sony OS5 machine and a Palm. HS can easily modify it for a low-res screen and most Hi-res apps will probably be able to run on it, though the graphics will have to be scaled down.
    Thanks for the link, gfm. The review says that it will come with a WAP 2.0 browser, and , "Samsung also states that it will come with various third party web browsers, but no specifics are given."

Why don't they give up on WAP? It's like saying, "But, she has a nice personality."

BKMD
    gfunkmagic,

When discussing the screen, let's not confuse performance with specs. If the screen is as those who have actually seen the device report and readable outdoors then for the bulk of uses you stated earlier I honestly don't think 320X320 would offer a huge improvement in usability in this device. I could see a benefit in the graphics intensive applications, like higher end games and presentation work, but I honestly don't think that is the target audience for this device. Again, and I reserve final judgement until actually seeing the device in person, it sounds like, from the reports we have gotten, HS was able to get similar usability results from tweaking a "low res" technology as they would have had they gone with the "hi res" some are crying about. If this is in fact the case, I'm giving a pat on the back to Hawkins and his team for making the right decision and giving me more battery life and a lower price without sacraficing real usability.

JMHO

Gargoyle

ps, Remember, just because you can, does not mean you should.
    Hi, gfm. I do hope the second generation Treo equipped with a hi-ref TFT screen. But, I admit that HS has make a right choice to adopt a low-res one. I think two points should be noted here:

1. Second generation Treo is targeted at the high-end phone user or smart phone user.
    2. They should cut every possible penny in cost to gain more acceptance of the device.

Comparing with other main smartphone (not mentioned to ms smartphone exclusively), such as Nokia 7650, SE P800 or Orange SPV, low-res screen is acceptable and competitive. It is not the best, but still good enough.

CSTN screen is much cheaper and more power-saving than TFT one. At an acceptable performance, it makes new Treo more competitive in price. Together with a 133MHz ARM CPU -- probably OMAP 710, a cheap one, and without wifi or Bluetooth, I am looking forward to a very reasonable price tag on the upcoming Treo. Comparing it With a Zire, it simply substitue the screen with a cheap one and add a radio module (less than 100$, about 70-80$ probably) to it, and plus 25% marginal profit, you can estimate the final price range.

Obviously it is a trade-off, and Jeff decide to woo the main-stream phone user, rather than a traditional PDA user. HAND is running a very tight budget now. And new treo is a single product designed to gain as many as users it can. There are no product line with high end/main stream/entry level choices. If I were Mr Hawkins, I will make the same decision (Of course I will make a hi-res TFT one for myself. )

IMHO, if Treo 600 get a success, there will be a product line. Hi-Res, Bluetooth/Wifi, higher CPU frequency, more memory... everything is possible. I am sure you can pick a good updated version and get satisfied.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Is the screen on the Treo 600 smaller than the one on the SGH-i500?! I seriously doubt it! (I posted a pic earlier in this thread of the screen on the SGH, you might want to check it out.) Thus I totally disagree with your statement that having a both a "small screen" and "hi-rez" are mutually exclusive. The fact is that the technology for such a screen exists, it's just that for some reason Handspring decided NOT to use it. Whatever reasons they may give, it is a huge gamble IMO to go with this screen. Hopefully HS will realize this and release an updated version of the Treo600 with a new screen. Perhaps they should look no farther than they're new partners in PSG who learned the hard way how important a nice screen is for a mobile device (i.e the M505 and T|T screen debacles).
  17.    #377  
    Gfunk:

Well I've never seen an SGH screen in person, but I would say that the screen of the Treo600 is about the same size. Maybe the Treo600 will be high res? Who knows? Craig seemed to get better info on that topic at the Sprint show than I did, but until we see an official spec sheet, it's all conjecture, even at this point.
    It WAS a good screen, though, that much I'll say (better I think, than the Samsung flip one I did see - I can't keep up with their model numbers - would that have been the SPH500?).
    Make no decisions or conclusions, anyone, until you see the screen, and until we have the official scoop.
    i just wanna say that all i care about with the new treo is whether it will use the same polyphonic ringtones that i made for the 300. i've been collecting some massive checks from handango (at $4.95 and $6.95 a pop, you can just imagine, so far i've been able to eat at McDonald's twice and white castle once)

it would greatly help my early retirement plans if they could sell more than 200 of the new treo's
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Gfunk:

Well I've never seen an SGH screen in person, but I would say that the screen of the Treo600 is about the same size. Maybe the Treo600 will be high res? Who knows? Craig seemed to get better info on that topic at the Sprint show than I did, but until we see an official spec sheet, it's all conjecture, even at this point.
    It WAS a good screen, though, that much I'll say (better I think, than the Samsung flip one I did see - I can't keep up with their model numbers - would that have been the SPH500?).
    Make no decisions or conclusions, anyone, until you see the screen, and until we have the official scoop.
    By the way Thanx's Again Nrosser for starting this thread!

The SGH i500 and SPH i500 screen are small, here is a new picture link and some previous (especially when you take into consideration that the SGH +SPH are only 2.13 inchs wide including the borders which are probally at least a total of 3/8 of a inch alone).
    Don't get me wrong they are nice phones.

http://www.howardforums.com/attachme...&postid=836870

http://www.pdafrance.com/img/pdanews2003/DSCN2538.JPG

http://www.pdafrance.com/img/pdanews2003/DSCN2541.JPG

They looks alot smaller than the Treo 600 Picture ( link below)

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/229-1.htm

Also does anyone know if the SGH i500 is even coming to sprint or verizon Only.

Thanx's
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/05/2003 at 03:23 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    One thing I haven't seen specifically addressed is whether or not the new 600 is a single band device or not. Screen res be damned, I'll take dual or tri band over the current single-band achilles heel any day

B