Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Wow .. this discussion just exploded!

I haven't gone through all 23+ pages of "posts" ... so forgive if I'm repeating a question.

What is the price (est) of the new Treo600?

I just got my Treo300 (Feb03) .. and not even exercising all of its capabilities .. BUT .. from just what I've read .. I'm seriously considering goin' for the 600.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Sorry to contribute to getting us severely off-topic, but I did want to ask about this. I realize that the various networks in the US are a drag. I buy a phone and when my contract is up I can't move to another network with that same phone (assuming I don't want to just upgrade to a new one, which is probably not the case these days anyway). But, outside of the US, aren't you paying a good deal more for your unlocked phones than we pay for equivalent phones? Yes, we're locked into Sprint (or whatever) for a year, but we're getting our phones at a big discount.

Scott
    Yeah we sure do pay a hefty premium if we buy our phones from the carriers .... follow the link below to see phones offered by Rogers in Canada

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...J74HJFPU3A2TSE

their phones are locked but being a GSM network I can buy an unlocked Sony Ericsson T68i on Ebay ( or Handspring Treo 270 for that matter) plop in a GSM sim card and they work like a charm
    Originally posted by inqui-Z-tor
    Wow .. this discussion just exploded!

I haven't gone through all 23+ pages of "posts" ... so forgive if I'm repeating a question.

What is the price (est) of the new Treo600?

I just got my Treo300 (Feb03) .. and not even exercising all of its capabilities .. BUT .. from just what I've read .. I'm seriously considering goin' for the 600.
    I don't believe any price (or any other info for that matter) has been divulged yet...... but if you have to ask you probably can't afford one....hahahaha... I jest
    I have never used a 'locked' phone. no tie-ups with any company. It has so many advantages being 'FREE'.
    I bought an unlocked 7650 for $400, use it for 5 months, sold it for ard $310. replace it with a $310 3650. I can sell it anytime and buy the treo270 or any gsm phone I want.
    Yo Japorms...how's the 3650 ? Weird keypad...but all in all would you recommend it ?
    When I first saw the 3650, I felt it was an UGLY phone. but when my buddy got 1, I mess with it a few times. after awhile, I just love it.
    Its cheap, has bluetooth, a passable organizer, video recording plus mmc card slot, digicam and its light.
    Its a great buy. It just needs more 3rd party softwares.
    Kewl Japorms... I hope that all the reports of the Treo 600 not having Bluetooth are wrong as I'd really, really miss that feature... I do hope that it's SD slot is SDIO so a BT card can be used....but I hear there may be software issues with Palm OS 5.x and some BT SD cards
    Originally posted by inqui-Z-tor

Supposedly ?? there is legislation going on right now that will allow just that! You buy your phone .. and you're able to .. w/switching of some hw and sw .. switch from carrier to carrier.

This should .. make the phone mfg(s) .. get more competitive in designing a few "good" phones that customer's will stick with .. and force carriers into providing flexible (competitive) plans.

Who know .. one may wish to have different carriers for different NAMs on the same phone??

Sorry, I think you're thinking of portable mobile phone numbers, which has been legislated, and will arrive in the US in November of this year (barring any extensions...the most recent application for an extension by the carriers was turned down).

This means that if you change from TMobile to, say, Sprint, you'll be able to take your phone *number* with you. But not your phone. Changing phone numbers has long been one of the reasons that mobile service in the US is sticky - it's a pain in the *** to switch numbers. This will remove that barrier. But it has nothing to do with taking your actual phone with you.

The legislation also mandates that carriers cannot charge 'hostage fees' to prevent you from switching. They can still have contract cancellation fees, but can't charge a fee to allow you to take your phone number.

TM
    Originally posted by fredster
    Kewl Japorms... I hope that all the reports of the Treo 600 not having Bluetooth are wrong as I'd really, really miss that feature... I do hope that it's SD slot is SDIO so a BT card can be used....but I hear there may be software issues with Palm OS 5.x and some BT SD cards

There's no 'issue' per se, that I'm aware of. The only requirement for an SDIO card to work in an SDIO slot in a Palm OS device is that a corresponding devlce driver be written to accommodate the card. Problem is, so far the hardware providers haven't really been so attentive to that little detail...

TM
    Hey here's a thought, do you think Handspring will release a dual mode triband gsm/gprs/umts Treo 600 for Orange? That would be extremely cool!! If I lived in the UK, that would probably be enough for me to forget even about the screen...
    I know there are a lot of early adopters/technophiles here that want to have the latest and greatest w/ the most impressive list of features, but I am much more interested in a reasonbly priced device that will make me significantly more productive. Someone that knows a lot more about screen technology posted that a 320X320 screen on the Treo 600 would be impractical due to the size and maybe even impossible. Honestly if it is a trade off of not being able to play some high end games specifically written for "high res" while being able save power and cost with no noticeable difference in my primary apps, I say go for the lower res.

I actually think the thumbboard is a huge deal because it makes the treo, especially, it seems, the new model, a primarily one handed device. The usability and degree to which I incorporate the device into my life is increased significantly if I can operate it almost exclusively with one hand.

Overall, I am very excited about the device. I looks like it was designed for the professional set and will be very appealing to its target audience.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I'm sure Hawkins is going with 160x160 over 320x320 for three reasons:
    1) Cost.
    2) He figures, with a screen this small, 320x320 would be difficult to get the maximum benefit of.
    3) He's a minimalist who probably figures that all those super-powered Office apps don't belong on a Palm OS device (let alone a smartphone) to begin with.

Scott
    I agree with 1 and 2 as possible reasons, but I disagree with 3. I think HS EXPECTS people to use serious office apps on their converged device. I listened to the conference call re the acquisition today and the HS folks, when stating their vision, explicity said that they always believed that the converged devices are going to become our main computers with other computers (desktops, etc) being used for secondary purposes.

That said, I have a feeling that the 160x160 spec is either:

- A non-issue, because this is a pre-release prototoype and the actual unit sold will have higher res. When is the last time you saw such public teasing with a device with so little official word on specs?

or

- Not a significant issue because there will be other versions of the device that would have higher res (with OS 5, it's relatively easy to replace the display). It very well could be the case that Sprint wanted low-res and HS gave it to them. Orange might want things a little different, and I'm sure they'll give it to them too. Orange is driving the GSM version, which will naturally be sold directly to the consumer as well.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/05/2003 at 06:24 AM.
    I think Scott R's mock up at http://goodthatway.com/news_arc/?id=13 is rather impressive given the fact he never saw the real thing! How about TC using it on the headliner "Treo 600 shown in Dallas?" It's all we've got and it gives an excellent impression, though it seems to me, when compared with the JH photo, that it's maybe a bit too large. I know that's nit-picky, just MHO.
    Originally posted by elysian9
    I think Scott R's mock up at http://goodthatway.com/news_arc/?id=13 is rather impressive given the fact he never saw the real thing! How about TC using it on the headliner "Treo 600 shown in Dallas?" It's all we've got and it gives an excellent impression, though it seems to me, when compared with the JH photo, that it's maybe a bit too large. I know that's nit-picky, just MHO.
    Thanks for the compliment. But part of me thinks that I'll be disappointed to see that my mockup ends up being pretty far off from the real thing. nrosser and craigdts were probably just being kind.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    im an avid treo 300 fan, i love the freedom it provides.

ive been on the edge of my seat with everybody here waiting for

"the grand entrance." i can understand the pressure mr

hawkins has been under, and with what hes been able to work

with financially,i applaud him on this latest treo. but i think in

order to make a treo attractive to every-body, we need style.

the treo 600 is much smaller and more capable, but no "pizzazz"

the merger with palm will give us injection of style - "hopefully"

that this formula is missing, and then, i think, we may finally have

lasting winner. placed side by side, i actually think the treo 300

looks better!! a little smoother, more appealing, yes larger, but

its attractive, this treo600 reminds me of a zaurus or something.

still, many applause to jeff hawkins and the team. its been no

easy ride, and the new device will have a future, but probably to

a select few on the market... but i hope i am pleasantly surprised.
    [just a quick irrelevant aside]

Awhile back I posted a URL to a 160x160 image to give those without a clue (such as myself!) a sample to judge. That image is no longer there and has been replaced with something more PALMHAND specific.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    [just a quick irrelevant aside]

Awhile back I posted a URL to a 160x160 image to give those without a clue (such as myself!) a sample to judge. That image is no longer there and has been replaced with something more PALMHAND specific.
    That image now is a picture that says "H E L L" in large type. Is that what you mean by being more PALMHAND-specific?
    slightly confused on the whole screen issue;

As I see it, most treo users had two requests
    1) a screen we can use in sunlight
    2) a higher resolution

it seems that 1 is probably being delivered
    it seems that 2 is not

on 2, there seem to be three arguments
    a) hi res screen more expensive
    b) hi res screen more power hungry
    c) it doesn't matter because the screen is so small anyway

a & b may be sensible tradeoffs for a mass market device.

c makes no sense to me - from the pictures I have seen, the T600 screen is almost exactly the same size as the T270 screen. It in urn is very similar in size to Tungsten, clio and other hi res screens. I don't think anyone who has used these will argue that it isn't nice to have better font resolution, more accurate viewing of pictures and hi-res games.

I'm hoping against hope that the 160*160 will get upgraded for the orange GSM phone.

On a seperate note - I want to weigh in for the camera. It seems to be a winning feature on phones at th moment, so a good thing on the mas market argument (keeps costs down for us all) and I think it would be incredibly useful. How about taking quick pictures of folks in meetings and adding to your contacts list so you don't forget their names by the next meeting?

Not to mention the ability to snap future treo versions at conferences for the rest of the board.

I'm so excited ... I could crush a grape!
    > That image now is a picture that says "H E L L" in large type...

Look a little more closely...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey here's a thought, do you think Handspring will release a dual mode triband gsm/gprs/umts Treo 600 for Orange? That would be extremely cool!! If I lived in the UK, that would probably be enough for me to forget even about the screen...
    Since Handsprings customers are the carriers, if Orange wants it, they will get it.

Now all me need to do is bug Orange.

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.