Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! You guys are so funny. I didn't mean to get you all worked up by calling the i500 a piece of crap. Heck, I can only assume that it will be a piece of crap. Mainly due to the overwhelming amount of shortcomings by the previous models.

Typed from my wife's soon-to-be new phone (300). :-)
    Originally posted by Japorms
    to gfunkmagic: I see you post on many, many palm forums. you seem very knowledgeable. can I ask what's so good about the sony-ericson T-608?
    The SE T608 will be the 1st BT enabled cdma mobile in the market. There's alot of buzz regarding this mobile b/c you can possible combine the unlimited data via BT connection to your BT PDA like TT/TT2/TG50/NZ90. It will probably be the route many sprint users will take if the Treo 600 dissappoints. Right now I'm kinda ambivalent b/c of news regarding the screen rez on the new Treo, and I won't make a final judgement until I see it. The T608+TG50 combo is my backup plan for now...
    dont expect a good battery life on BT phone. 1 hour surfing (bt pda + bt phone)at most, and the phone will drain up its battery.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

The SE T608 will be the 1st BT enabled cdma mobile in the market. There's alot of buzz regarding this mobile b/c you can possible combine the unlimited data via BT connection to your BT PDA like TT/TT2/TG50/NZ90. It will probably be the route many sprint users will take if the Treo 600 dissappoints. Right now I'm kinda ambivalent b/c of news regarding the screen rez on the new Treo, and I won't make a final judgement until I see it. The T608+TG50 combo is my backup plan for now...
    Originally posted by silverado

Two points:

1. I don't think we'll see the SGH-I500 before the Treo 600, so we're most likely comparing a product to vaporware.

Originally posted by UGlee

1. read this link:
    http://3gwiz.com/viewarticle.php?id=8

Greg said i500 will be shipping this month.
    Greg is referring to the SPH-I500, the CDMA model to be offered by Sprint that will run PalmOS4.1 with no SD slot, no camera, etc.

Silverado is referring to the SGH-I500, the GSM model to be released who knows when but that will ship with PalmOS5 and all the related goodies.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

Look, you are rationalizing, which is fine if you think the keyboard is worth it. But please, to say you would rather not have more MHz is not being completely honest. The same with the battery life. I have never owned a phone that had enough, having the option to switch in a new one without using up the SD slot is a benefit clearly. And finally, we have no evidence to suggest that the Treo will meet its expected launch date (the same as the Samsung) with any more success. There are many, many factors that go into the approval by the FCC and the carriers. And finaly, just like Handspring, Samsung can produce a CDMA version of their phone too, as long as we are talking vaporware.
    1. Where did I say that I'd rather not have more MHz?!

2. The additional battery in the Treo 600 doesn't use the SD slot, it uses the hotsync/power port on the bottom.

3. I was talking track record. Read the multiple posts on this board that talks about how many months the the SPH is overdue. HS was (I believe) ontime with the 180 and a bit late with the 270. The GPRS software was a fiasco, but that's not the whole product.

4. I don't consider GSM vs CDMA a feature. But I thought you did since you listed it as evidence that that Samsung is clearly superior, so I was pointing out that HS is publically out saying that they are coming out with a GSM version. In fact is was a big part of their last earnings conference call.

If rationalizing means that I'm being rational, then yes, I am trying to be just that. If you're suggesting that I want to find the Treo a winner no matter what, then you're mistaken. I keep saying that we should reserve judgment till we see the device. I was merely stating my opinion on the arguments made with the given information.

A keyboard is extremely important ot me after having used it in the Treo 270 and I am not about to give it up based on specs. I've also learned that kitchen-sink-type devices usually fail and smartly-designed ones that take usability in mind usually win. This is what I've seen from Hawkins in the past, so I'm willing to give him/HS the benefit of the doubt till I see the device.
    Talking about the screen, here's Greg's reply to my question:

I am not sure whether is it STN or TFT, but it BLOWS the i330 screen out of
    the water....night and day It is about the same as the i500 screen wise.

Greg

On 6/2/03 9:15 PM, "Greg M. Smith" <contactus@3gwiz.com> wrote:

>
    > Support type: phone
    > Description : Hello.
    >
    > I would be glad to hear your detailed description about Treo T600's color
    > screen. Is it a high resolution one (320x320) or low resolution one (160 x
    > 160). Today, somebody else said it is a STN display rather than a TFT one. I
    > noticed you described the screen as fabulous. Cound it be comparably fabulous
    > as other TFT screen you've seen in forum? say, that of samsung's i500?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > UGlee
    >
    For all those discussing the Samsung SPH/SGH i500 smartphones, here are soem nice comparison pics:

http://www.pdafrance.com/img/pdanews2003/DSCN2538.JPG

http://www.pdafrance.com/img/pdanews2003/DSCN2541.JPG

I posted som more pics over at this thread on howardforums...

Anyway in regards to the comparisons between the forthcoming SGH-i500 and Treo600. I obviously have not seen either one in person, so my thoughts are just based on the initial impression I gathered from info and pics and mockups provied by Scott R etc (BTW thanks Scott again for doing that!). IMO there are both positives/negatives to both devices. The SGH has overall more impressive "specs" than the Treo600. (However I realize that might not be important to many people). But the SGH also has three major deficiencies which I think are imporatnt: lack of thumborad, very small screen, only gsm/gprs radio. The 1st one is a matter of preference naturally b/c it depends on how much email/IM etc you plan on doing. The screen size issue, however, is very important. For me both the SGH and Treo600 are lacking in their screens for different reasons. I like the high resolution screen on the SGH, but I don't like the small screen size as evident by the pics I posted above. I like the screen size in the Treo600 (which is reportedly only slightly smaller than the Treo300) but I'm extremely hesitant about the low rez. Thus neither are my perfect device right now! Lastly, no one can beat Sprint's plans right now which out-right cancels out the SGH for me. If there was a cdma version, then my decision would have been much harder...

Also, with repect to those who rationalize the 160x160 screen b/c of streaming video issues on Sprint's network, I think thats a bunch of baloney personally. I don't want a high rez screen simply for streaming video, but also for kinoma, mmplayer, Vscumm, various games, high rez pics, countles high rez apps like spreadsheets, etc etc. The Treo600 will not be able to take avantage of any of these apps that are beginning to flourish. In fact it will be the ONLY OS 5.x device I can think of that will have a low rez screen! In the end IMO the screen is the most important feature on any pda/smartphone device. Its what catches the eye, its what you look at all time, and its what drives sales. This a lesson PSG finally learned when they finally released the Z71 and T|C earlier this year. I only hope people are right about the Treo600 screen and that it looks much better in person than onw would think...

P.S. Does anyone know STN technology compares to other various TFT screens at similar resolutions? Does the increased contrast/wide angle viewing somehow makeup for the lack of resolution on the TReo600?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/04/2003 at 05:50 PM.
    Originally posted by silverado

2. The additional battery in the Treo 600 doesn't use the SD slot, it uses the hotsync/power port on the bottom.

Silverado, if you read Craig's initial posts, he mentions something about external SD batteries? Are you saying, he was mistaken about that? I asked about that earlier, but never got a response regarding it...
    I think the "sd battery" is a mistake for "second battery"

Silverado, if you read Craig's initial posts, he mentions something about external SD batteries? Are you saying, he was mistaken about that? I asked about that earlier, but never got a response regarding it...

Yes, he initially said that, then retracted in a later post and said it uses the bottom connector.

went to local Sprint store today to get a ear piece for my wife's phone. I asked the head sales rep if she knew when the T608 was coming out. She said " have one right here!" She just received it today to test. I was told the release date has been pushed back until late 3rd Quarter because of some bugs found. But I was able to check it out for a while. Very small and light although the screen looks good it not really that bright. Didn't take it outside.
    there are too many forks about Color STN techonology. Theoretically, STN suffers slow response time, less color, worse contrast/viewing angles comparing with TFT. And, STN mostly use passive driving, which means it cannot realize a hi-res at an acceptable contrast. The advantages of STN lies in cost and power consumption. Much cheaper and much better power saving than that of TFT.

current treo uses CSTN.

But STN techonolgy seems to evolve very fast in recent days. Cannot predict anything about the STN display used in Treo. Every manufacturer has its own modification and improvement.

In TC news page, the screen is mentioned as TFT STN... This is ridiculous. You can drive STN screen using TFT(active mode). But it is !@#$#$%^^&. No benefit at all. Usually we mentioned STN, we mean passive mode STN.

P.S. Does anyone know STN technology compares to other various TFT screens at similar resolutions? Does the increased contrast/wide angle viewing somehow makeup for the lack of resolution on the TReo600? [/B]

Here is where he corrected it.
    Originally posted by trotzke

I am disappointed in the lower resolution screen, mostly from a software compatibility standpoint.

From my understanding of Palm OS 5, applications can be developed in such a way that is independent of the screen resolution, and they would look better on higher resolution screens. So application developers are encouraged to use drawing routines using the standard 160x160 coordinate system and the OS handles the rest.

However, applications can also be written in ways that use explicit screen coordinates. If such an app is written for a double density screen, they would not work on a 160x160 screen.

So, I'm afraid, it depends on the application in question.
    a couple more observations about this stuff:

according to emerging wisdom on the PC side, bluetooth is highly flawed and has a number of problems which need to be overcome. it's possible those problems caused them to re-think bluetooth until the next generation comes out. i know it seems to work well with one device that is always connected to the same thing (a la the earphone), the problems seem to come about with multiple devices, such as what might occur if you try to wireless synch and you have several BT devices on your PC system.

as for processor speed, i have had neat success with gentle use of FastCPU on my treo300, but all this talk about whether we want a faster one or not is silly. we ALWAYS want a faster processor, all things being equal. it's like reading a Motor Trend write-up on the newest 'Vette, and of course, they have to always add that 'it would benefit from a few more ponies', because this version ONLY goes from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...

everything is compromise.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    all the talk about these kewl phones are nice... but there is something that i haven't seen addressed. why can't these phones hook up to ANY carrier??

most of the phones i've seen are are sprint or t-mobile. i personally have verizon. true, verizon has the new 7135 but why can't they make phones that you buy, and then hook up to any carrier?

is this too much to ask? or maybe i'm missing some secret marketing ploy so that certain carriers get certain phone to try and make more people connect.

in this age of 'choose your own' i think we should be able to pick the phone and the carrier we want to use.
    Different carriers operate on different standards. Phones (unless specifically designed otherwise) cannot operate on different standards. Standards include GSM (which has several different frequencies), CDMA, TDMA, etc.

TM
    Originally posted by cyber_ops
    most of the phones i've seen are are sprint or t-mobile. i personally have verizon. true, verizon has the new 7135 but why can't they make phones that you buy, and then hook up to any carrier?

is this too much to ask? or maybe i'm missing some secret marketing ploy so that certain carriers get certain phone to try and make more people connect.
    Welcome to America.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    In America this seems to be normal which reflects that there is little common standards across carriers.

In Australia we have 3 nationwide GSM networks as well as some other CDMA & 3G networks. It is much more common to purchase a handset outright and insert the SIM card of whatever carrier you choose.

The only worry I have is the new Palm/Handspring will only sell handsets via carriers.

But I guess on the plus side Palm is a big retailer direct to consumers so my concern may be unwarranted

I want a Treo 600

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Originally posted by UGlee
    dont expect a good battery life on BT phone. 1 hour surfing (bt pda + bt phone)at most, and the phone will drain up its battery.

Who wants to surf for an hour on ANY phone?