Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Well, I think I'm spending more effort on this than it's worth. But here's my second go at it. This one's actually a bit rushed (airbrushing is sloppy, I don't have the mic or speaker holes, and I didn't add the green light to it, either), but I wanted to get some discussion going on it from the folks who have seen it up close.

Here it is:
    http://goodthatway.com/temp/treo_new6b.jpg

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by silverado

I totally disagree. I think Jeff Hawkins is a proven visionary who produces devices that many at first discount, then later realize that they are incredibly practical and usable. From the beginning, people doubted the original Pilot for its simplicity and box-shape. Microsoft and Apple had been trying to do it for a long time, but failed consistently. The pilot concept was the first PDA that stuck. Heck, the term "PalmPilot" is a household name. Look at the shape of most PDA's over the past several years. They all copied the original Pilot general look (hardware buttons at the bottom, up/down buttons). They are only now moving slightly away from that by using the D-Pad. They didn't copy it because they liked how it looked, but because it worked!

And I don't think this thing looks like a brick, but we are yet to see it properly and in the form it will actually be sold.

When people find out that they can do real email and texting with this thing, if the price is right, it will sell like hot cakes. Add to that real web browsing, camera for still pictures and video, a touch screen, a speaker phone, etc etc. Can you imagine how many people would LOVE to get away from sending SMS messages using the phone pad?!!
    I haven't read "Piloting Palm", but take your word for it that Hawkins was involved in the form factor of the V. I had heard that he was dead set against the idea of a rechargeable battery (which is actually what made the V form factor possible). Regardless, if he was involved in this, I believe he should have learned that, when you're trying to gain wide acceptance for a virtually new category of product (which smartphones definately are), styling and form factor are a HUGE part of the equation.

Look, it's easy for me to say. I'm sure that this is not an easy business. And I think HS and Hawkins have done some great things (I used a Treo for quite a while, enjoyed quite a bit, and was really looking forward to the next gen model), but the size and style of it APPEAR for the moment to be a let down for me.
    Originally posted by Toto AB
    The bottomline is that Treos are not defined by features & numbers. Ask yourself why you like your Treo. Is it because of the size of RAM? Processor Speed? No, it's the complete user experience .

The question then is: does a pitch of 0.26mm give a very good user experience?
    Bravo. Great post Toto.
    Originally posted by silverado

When people find out that they can do real email and texting with this thing, if the price is right, it will sell like hot cakes. Add to that real web browsing, camera for still pictures and video, a touch screen, a speaker phone, etc etc. Can you imagine how many people would LOVE to get away from sending SMS messages using the phone pad?!!
    Yes, but couldn't the same thing have been said about the 270/300 (sans camera of course)?
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Well, I think I'm spending more effort on this than it's worth. But here's my second go at it. This one's actually a bit rushed (airbrushing is sloppy, I don't have the mic or speaker holes, and I didn't add the green light to it, either), but I wanted to get some discussion going on it from the folks who have seen it up close.

Here it is:

Scott
    Nice job! (color is a little dark but Very Nice!)
    Thanx's
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).

Here it is:

Scott
    thats pretty good, buddy.

now the pic of the one jeff is holding is a different color than the one is saw.
    i like the blue metallic color i saw better than jeff's silver (his must be really early prototype).

Oh, yeah. One more note about weight. the weight is in the bottom of the t600, not the top (its not top heavy), it really sits in your hand well.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    thats pretty good, buddy.
    So the overall size/shape is pretty accurate now? I have to say it looks a bit too squarish to me. I wish it was a bit more curvy (more along the lines of the first mock-up I did).

Scott
    I'm surprised at the 'empty' space along the bottom, below the keyboard. I guess it makes sense that you need some balance there to hold it and type on the thumboard. Still, I wonder if they could've pushed the keyboard closer to the bottom and allowed for a longer (taller) screen ala the sony's, with virtual graffiti for those in the diehard camp...

BTW, great job on the mockup, thank you so much for doing this.

Also, to those who saw it and reported here, a hearty thanks as well.

I still think 160x160 =DOA.

TM
    Originally posted by craigdts
    now the pic of the one jeff is holding is a different color than the one is saw.
    i like the blue metallic color i saw better than jeff's silver (his must be really early prototype).
    It could just be the lighting. I tried to copy the colors from the photograph of the one Jeff was holding, but I could try to add a bit more blue to it. I noticed in that photo that it looked like the area where the d-pad and buttons (and possibly the entire top-half of the device for that matter) had a lighter background color than the area behind the thumbboard. I tried to copy that. Is that what you saw?

Scott
  10.    #270  
    Just a few comments on the mock-up (and yes, we're probably ALL spending more time on this than it's worth, and would make sense to any normal person)
    - the thumboard keys are rounded, not oval a la current Treo and T|W and T|C
    - there's less space between the bottom of the thumbboard and the bottom of the phone than what you have in the mockup
    - the 4 app buttons are aligned in a row - 2 on one side of the d-pad, 2 on the other side
    - the d-pad is even more ovalized than what you have - it looks pretty similar to the iPaq d-pads
    - the corners are definitely more rounded - think along the lines of the 6035, and that will get you closer - similar color, also

We're totally splitting hairs, but I thought that since I'd seen it, I'd give you some feedback.

Here it is:

Scott
    I think the keys are pointing outward on the photo on Palm's website. Yours are all pointing the same way.
    My first post...

I dont' use a Treo now. Don't like the form factor. I've read from posts here that the flip screen breaks.
    But this new design is very, very intriguing.
    I've been set to buy a Samsung i500, the Palm flip (that has been delayed for months). Now, I think I'll wait for the 600.
    So, I'm one of the "masses" who will probably become a convert.
    Thanks, very much, Scott R. for your time. Handspring (Palm, now) should give you a commission. Your rendition looks great and is close to the photo.
    From the people who brought us the best integrated flip cover on a PDA (Treo 90) - WHERE IS THE FLIP COVER?

A removable, integrated, thin flip cover is a MUST for these exepnsive units. If it's removable, no harm no foul to the anti-cover crowd. For the rest of us, this thing stays in a pocket 24/7, and the need to add even a thin leather cover makes an otherwise acceptable design UNACCEPTABLE in tems of pocketability.

General specs look good - but will it deliver before Christmas?
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06/04/2003 at 01:16 PM.
    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    I know I'm kind of repeating myself, but after the fears posted over the "brick" size of the phone, I would suggest that you cutout a 2 X 4 1/2 slip of paper and put it in your hand.

A super size digital blow up makes anything look "brick" like.

Cluemeister
    I started looking at the specs on the 600 and thought....hey my New iPod is about that size.

New iPod is 4'H x 2 1/2'W x 1/2'D

add about 1/2' to the height and you have the 600. Also the iPod weight is 5.5oz. I had a Kyo 6035 and the 600 is Much smaller.

I posted some pics of the New iPod in hand and along with the 6035
  15.    #275  
    Not the same as the iPod - it falls between the iPod and the 6035 (I still have a 6035). I'd say the total height of the 600 would be about where the words 'Kyocera smartphone' are on the 6035. Or perhaps where the 'Palm Powered' logo is. And I would stand by my belief that it's <about> the same width as the 6035. It might also be a bit narrower than the iPod, based on when I held it at the show.
    I think it'll be a winner!
    Well, I think I'm spending more effort on this than it's worth.
    Scott
    Thank goodness someone does!
    Hey, thanks again Scott.
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    scott- don't worry, most of us are spending too much time READING about it and looking at your pictures, for something that we won't be able to buy for at least several months!!

gotta get some work done
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Wondering here: Does anyone know of the most popular thread on this forum ever? This one might break the record. It must say a lot about us. Hmm
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Probably "Inane Ramblings" in Off-Topic. This one so far isn't even close.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=16736
    Man, it took a lot out of my workday just reading all of these posts. BTW THANKS!!!!!! I do have a couple of minor questions.

Take the thumbpad first- The raised keys are rubbery, right? Well, how raised are they? If you slide it into a holster, will it inadvertently trigger one of these? (I am speaking of a holster like the nutshell and others...not the clip)

Let's say you don't use a holster. When you put it in and take it out of your pocket, wouldn't it "catch"? By this, I mean since the keys are rubbery, wouldn't I be correct to assume that they would not slide into the pocket easily? Instead they would "grab" at the inside of the pocket. Let's not forget about the lint that you would now have attached to your thumbpad.

BTW- I am eagerly anticipating the release of this hybrid. I already have the money allocated for it. As for the wife? She's stoked about getting my 300. Now all I have to do is teach her how to use it. She's a Palm virgin. Good thing too, I might not have married her if she wasn't........Oh wait that's something else entirely