Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by HAPPY$BOBBY$
    http://www.treopolis.de/temp/treo600.jpg

The credit goes to Treopolis

Thanx's Treopolis
    wah wah wah, I can't reach the server.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Just go to palm.com and look at the picture there. Hawkins is holding a Treo.
    Originally posted by Felipe

doesn't look like what he has in hand has a kb.
    It's behind his hand. And actually looking closer I think I do see a keyboard.
  4.    #244  
    You just can't see it cuz it's hidden in the Palm of his hand...it's the same unit, though - I speak from experience
    bwahahhhahhhaaa
    http://www.sprintpcsrocks.com/sprint...ersForum.shtml mentions this:

"Great 64k color TFT screen..." If that's accurate can 64K be 160X160?
    The looks of the Treo 600 are more like the Palm Tungsten C than the Treo 300. The keyboard formation is not curved. The screen and the keys come much closer to the edges. The D-pad is round like on the T|C, but between the keys and the screen. Everything is pretty rectangular (or in line). If you really want to do a mockup then start with an image of the T|C and then stretch and narrow it to about the size of the Nokia 3650.
    Originally posted by marcus
    High Rez photo

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/229-1.htm
    SUPER DUPER JOB MARCUS !!!

And here is a mock up (not real) link from Scott R, looks decent!

http://goodthatway.com/temp/treo_new6c.jpg

THANX'S Scott R
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/04/2003 at 04:19 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    High Rez photo
    That's it, Baby! As I said before, you WILL be happy with the looks of this device.
  9.    #250  
    the d-pad is actually ovalized, not round, as you can see from the pic of Jeff holding the 600. They told me at the booth that it was designed that way to allow simpler single-handed function (mainly with the thumb of the left hand, for side-to-side selection and movement).
    So - d-pad not round - it is ovalish.
    Hi guys. I was up until about 3am working on that thing. Woke up (late for work) at about 8am and just got into work a little while ago. I'll try to squeeze in another update to my mock-up sometime today. The more I have to modify it, though, the more cartoonish it'll probably ended up looking, since it's hard to simulate the shadows, etc.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Of course, I'm making this assumption on a sketch, not necessarily by holding one in my hand. But from the looks of it, this has most, if not all, of the features I was hoping for.....except one (a big one): size.

I'm afraid this thing is going to be a brick. To gain true mass market acceptance, Handspring had to figure out how to integrate a thumb board into a small, traditional form factor. This still looks like a PDA, with phone functions bundled in, and therefore, still in the realm of geeks.

Most people don't want to look like a geek and they're going to pass this over when looking at new or replacement phones to go with their plan.

What a shame, because otherwise the Treo is a great product. The feature set looks great here as well (provided we're talking a 320x320 resolution).

I think Hawkins has/had too much control over the development of this device. This is not a cool or fashionable guy (he'd probably admit as much). I don't know what his involvement was in the Palm V (I seem to remember hearing that he was against it or not involved?), but it was the first PDA to make such a product stylish and acceptable to a mass market (and the sales bear this out). We he went started Handspring, he went right back to the Palm III form factor (almost exclusively until the very late release of the Edge).

Again however, I hope I'm wrong about the appearance of the 600. But from here, it looks like this thing will barely outsell the 300. Couldn't they have done something like the Nokia 6800?
    Originally posted by treo007
    Couldn't they have done something like the Nokia 6800?
    you surely refer to the flip keyboard not the overall funcionallity of the phone, correct? Because the 6800 is a Series 40 phone and that's not really something even Nokia would call a smartphone. From what I can tell there won't be a Series 60 phone (e.g. 3650, 7650 or N-Gage) with such a keyboard because the screen size is (by definition of the Series 60) asymetric (176x208). But since the screen has to flip by 90 degrees as you open up the phone that's not an option for Series 60 smartphones.

I don't thing it's really doable for Handspring (or do I have to write Palm now ?!?) to come out with such a keyboard design without increasing the size of the device to some aspect (since the flipping mechanism has to go somewhere) and without getting sued stupid by Nokia because of violated patents. If RIM can sue Handspring, surely Nokia will do no less

For those of you who don't know what treo007 and me are talking about, check out the web page of the
    Nokia 6800
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    According to "Piloting Palm" Jeff was very much a part of the 5's cool form factor. He also was involved in the M series. The 705, I believe, was the first Palm he didn't have his fingerprints on.

I personally thing the look of the Treos are cool. But you're right, I never got the form factor of the Visors, unless it just came down to the fact that he couldn't do the springboard any other way.

Kevin
    Of course, I'm making this assumption on a sketch, not necessarily by holding one in my hand. But from the looks of it, this has most, if not all, of the features I was hoping for.....except one (a big one): size.

I'm afraid this thing is going to be a brick
    You really think so? Look at the picture of Hawkins holding it, and it seems to be very small to me. Very nice, indeed. If you look at the blowup, it does look a bit big, but step back. It really looks quite reasonable.
    High Rez photo

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/229-1.htm
    Oh wow.
    I think Hawkins has/had too much control over the development of this device. This is not a cool or fashionable guy (he'd probably admit as much). I don't know what his involvement was in the Palm V (I seem to remember hearing that he was against it or not involved?), but it was the first PDA to make such a product stylish and acceptable to a mass market (and the sales bear this out). We he went started Handspring, he went right back to the Palm III form factor (almost exclusively until the very late release of the Edge).
    I totally disagree. I think Jeff Hawkins is a proven visionary who produces devices that many at first discount, then later realize that they are incredibly practical and usable. From the beginning, people doubted the original Pilot for its simplicity and box-shape. Microsoft and Apple had been trying to do it for a long time, but failed consistently. The pilot concept was the first PDA that stuck. Heck, the term "PalmPilot" is a household name. Look at the shape of most PDA's over the past several years. They all copied the original Pilot general look (hardware buttons at the bottom, up/down buttons). They are only now moving slightly away from that by using the D-Pad. They didn't copy it because they liked how it looked, but because it worked!

And I don't think this thing looks like a brick, but we are yet to see it properly and in the form it will actually be sold.

When people find out that they can do real email and texting with this thing, if the price is right, it will sell like hot cakes. Add to that real web browsing, camera for still pictures and video, a touch screen, a speaker phone, etc etc. Can you imagine how many people would LOVE to get away from sending SMS messages using the phone pad?!!
    I know I'm kind of repeating myself, but after the fears posted over the "brick" size of the phone, I would suggest that you cutout a 2 X 4 1/2 slip of paper and put it in your hand.

A super size digital blow up makes anything look "brick" like.

Cluemeister
  18.    #259  
    All I can tell you is that I held it, and it's most definitely not a brick. Sure, it's larger than a tiny Sony Ericsson phone, but smaller than the current Treo, and smaller than a Kyocera6035. it felt very nice in the hand, and up to the face.
    I guess you'd have to define what a brick is. If you think the current Treo is not a brick, then the 600 is also not a brick. If you think the current Treo IS a brick, then I think you'll be pleased with the new one - it's smaller overall (will it be TOO small? I think that's the more-relevant question).
    Just my thoughts, since I'm one of the few folks to have actually held one.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    You really think so? Look at the picture of Hawkins holding it, and it seems to be very small to me. Very nice, indeed. If you look at the blowup, it does look a bit big, but step back. It really looks quite reasonable.
    Actually, after looking at the photo, I stand by the assertion (for the moment as I actually haven't seen it or held it) that it's too large. A "bit big" is too big in my book. I just don't see a rush for people to pay big dollars for a larger phone that is more complicated for them to use.