Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Curse you miradu, you foiled my scoop!

...but I'll be back...

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Curiously, some of the high-end hi-rezers are taking notice over at Cliesource. One thread lit up yesterday on the Treo 600: http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sho...ght=smartphone
    UGH! Actually that was mostly me trying to convert some Clie users over to the Treo prior to the screen resolution debacle! I don't think I'll be doing that anymore!
    Great post craigdts, looks like you got some blood boiling here... but a few questions remain unanswered that I am hoping you might be able to shed light on:

1. Is the 600 still using a 4 pole 2.5mm mini plug adapter for the hands free headset, or have they wised up and gone back to the 3 pole adapter that is the most common amongst cell phones? Sure would be nice to be able to use a normal headset and forgo the nokia style adapters one has to use with the 300.

2. Is the vibrator in the 600 the same underpowered and useless toy that they have in the 300 or have they gone with one that equals the intensity of those found on the motorola phones? As a corollary, have they made a belt clip that will hold the 600 close to the body so that the vibration can be felt which is entirely not the case with the current 300 and belt clip?

3. On the software side, were you able to find out if hand improved some of the functional integration between the pda side of the phone and the phone side? For example, instead of after looking up a person to get a phone number and then finding noone at that number, not being able to select a second number for the same person without having to re-search the address list. It sure would be less of a hassle to be able to scroll down the list.

4. Though it is not a hand issue, any word on if Sprint/Hand with the rollout of the 600 will institute 2-way SMS?

Thanks in advance.
    MANY THANK'S CRAIG FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK, I CAN SEE HOW THIS THING WILL GROW ON ME, LOOKS DECENT, PACKS A PUNCH FOR THE SIZE, CAN'T GET OVER HOW THIN IT IS (1/2 INCH)!

THANK'S AGAIN CRAIG!

HERES THE NEW TREO 600 PICTURE LINK
    The credit goes to Nrosser, Craigdts, Treopolis and (Marcus for the blow up).

THIS IS A GREAT ONE!!!

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/229-1.htm

And here is a mock up (not real) link from Scott R, looks decent!

http://goodthatway.com/temp/treo_new6c.jpg
    Last edited by HAPPY$BOBBY$; 06/04/2003 at 04:17 PM.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    Okay, from the sketch, I have to say this looks like a very suave unit. Very sleek. Very professional. I'm still kind of in denial about the whole 160x160 thing, though.
    "1. Is the 600 still using a 4 pole 2.5mm mini plug adapter for the hands free headset, or have they wised up and gone back to the 3 pole adapter that is the most common amongst cell phones? Sure would be nice to be able to use a normal headset and forgo the nokia style adapters one has to use with the 300."

dont know but i did overhear the marketing rep say that the treo 600 will not be able to use the old headset from teh treo 600 - it will come w/ new one. - i didnt hear the Q that started his answer (i was doing several things at once).

2. Is the vibrator in the 600 the same underpowered and useless toy that they have in the 300 or have they gone with one that equals the intensity of those found on the motorola phones? As a corollary, have they made a belt clip that will hold the 600 close to the body so that the vibration can be felt which is entirely not the case with the current 300 and belt clip?

dang i wish i had asked that - i never feel the treo 300 vibrate.

3. On the software side, were you able to find out if hand improved some of the functional integration between the pda side of the phone and the phone side? For example, instead of after looking up a person to get a phone number and then finding noone at that number, not being able to select a second number for the same person without having to re-search the address list. It sure would be less of a hassle to be able to scroll down the list.

nothing more than what i posted earlier, what i posted earlier about the phone and pda integration seemed to be a feature they were especially proud of.

4. Though it is not a hand issue, any word on if Sprint/Hand with the rollout of the 600 will institute 2-way SMS?

no idea.
    here's a high res PDF of craigdts sketch. mock up artist can now go to work.

Download PDF 852K
    "Lastly, the 600 needs to have a FREAKIN KILLER look to it. Everyone I know has these new killer phones that look like they're from space -- shiny metal, video, etc. My Treo 300 looks like a TV remote control from the 70s. What the hell? Maybe they need to hire the Apple design team. I want people to ooh and ahh when they see the 600 like they do when they see the iPod or the iMac or the 17-inch laptop."

look, let me say this, they forgot to add one feature - a drool cup, to catch the drool from your friends mouth when they see it. im telling you it looks good.

u'd agree right nrosser?

though we probably didnt get to just enjoy it because in our minds we were trying to record everything we saw and heard.
    nrosser,

Didn't you stop by the Handspring booth there and see the Treo 600 they had there? I did and it's awesome. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us take a picture of it. Best we could do was hold it for a few seconds.

I have a review of the conference at http://www.sprintpcsrocks.com/sprint...ersForum.shtml

Larry
    can a moderator combine add the tread i started "2nd look..." to this one. so we dont have to keep switching back and forth?

thanks
    oh no 160 x 160.
    the most popular palm pda's are clies n tungsten, even zire71. all have at least super hi-res 320 x 320 screen.
    now, who are the target markets of the new treo's?
    those who dont want to carry 2 device. these people have a existing palm pda + a cellphone. but, since these people are accustomed to a 320 x 320 screen on their palm, I dont think the new Treo will be too attractive.
    I just hope I'm wrong.

ps: I also hope that the orange gsm version will have a 320 x 320 screen.
    EOM
    Re: 160x160, I can't say for sure, but I think everyone would have to rewrite lots of code to support low-rez in the cool OS 5 games & stuff. That's my prob, that I don't think there will be any software for it. Maybe the OS API can handle the difference, but I don't think it can.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Make sure you bring a digital camera. Something tells me that won't want you taking a picture of it, so bring your wife in and have her distract them while you snap some photos. You may also need to be prepared to start running after you do so.

Scott
    haha, just read this. i had an opportunity at one point, i needed a treo 600 to take the pic or another camera phone woulda done it. i had my 300 on it so often woulda been easy to take pics.

We need pics because the color design really add beauty to the t600
    Originally posted by Fofer

So what I think this means is this:

Yes, the Treo 600 will be released first on the Sprint (CDMA) network.

Thanks, nrosser!
    thats correct - sprint gets it first.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    I fear you are underestimating someone who frequently does what everyone else thinks is wrong and makes it turn out right. Do you really think that Jeff Hawkins, who pioneered the thumboard in a cellphone ,would ruin it by making it too small? I think that is a very bad bet which indicates that perhaps you are not entirely familiar with his work. . . I also think you will find that there are still plenty of undiscovered features of the new Treo.
    rvwink,
    doesnt the compaint about screen resolution sound alot like the same complaints at the palm pilot release?

microsoft - ppc's are still trying to make a pc in a handheld. i almost lost it when i saw the hitatchi ppc w/ thumbboard - u might as well carry a tablet pc.

i think the t600 will win everyone over after they see and use it.
    Originally posted by mcyang

The difference between HS and Samsung is that HS has no room or time for error, but Samgsung does. If SGH-i500 screws up, they wll just come out another model. Treo600, however, could be HS's last chance for survival. HS is having its back against wall. It needs a very competitive product to survive. BT feature will definitely help. But unfortunately, they choose not to include that.
    well thats partly true, how long can samsung keep pouring money into devices that dont sell well? shareholders cant allow it for too long, it will hurt the bottom line - especially in an unproven market. times seem to be much like they were before the original palm pilot release. is anyone getting this picture also?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Okay, from the sketch, I have to say this looks like a very suave unit. Very sleek. Very professional. I'm still kind of in denial about the whole 160x160 thing, though.
    the longer i have to reflect on the 600 the more i love it.

while im at it, people say noone's going to pay $500 for it. how many years ago was it that people were paying that or near for a pda? 2 years ago i would not have paid it. Now i am willing to. the treo was released in a bad economy. Even my cheapo wife is willing to fork out the $ for the t600, the mp3 was a must for her.

in a discussion w/ rvwink - i know of 2 large companies - one a healthcare, the other a manufacturing (w/ over 1 billion in revenues) that is upgrading its network or all of their computers, respectively. The computers (where my wife works in corporate) are about 3 years old but do the job. Its encouraging that they are willing to upgrade even when current comps do the job, in addition they recently upgraded their accounting software. They must feel secure in future.

i had a friend worth over 20 million tell me that the way he checked the economy was to go sit in the mall and watch and see how many people were walking around w/ shopping bags - go do it. (esp. an upscale mall)

dang i had too much coffee, now i cant sleep.
    OK, Craig and nrosser...Please take a look at the following and let me know how far off I am...

http://goodthatway.com/temp/treo_new6.jpg

Among other things, I made it a lot more rounded than Craig's sketch.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    where's the sketch? did I miss a sketch????