1.    #1  
    Im trying to send sms msgs via snappermail by sending short msgs to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com

This works but the msg shows no body just from and subject. It's like maybe Snapper is sending in some rich text format that can't be read by the SMS reader. Can we change to a clear text mode or is there another workaround. I need to be able to do this to send sms msgs to my girlfriend's treo.
    Why don't you just use the PDApps Treo300SMS? You can send messages to "username@messaging.sprintpcs.com" and it works just fine...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Why don't you just use the PDApps Treo300SMS? You can send messages to "username@messaging.sprintpcs.com" and it works just fine...
    I spent like $40 on Snapper and I don't feel like spending $20 or whatever treo300sms costs. I only send SMS to my g/f who has a treo and sending email to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com works fine. However, snapper sends in some format not supported by SMS.

I can however go through blazer and login into my webmail and compose one from there but it takes longer.

Thanks for the advice though. It's just not worth $20 to just be able to send to my g/f once or twice a month.
    Wow, I doubted it, but in fact messaegs sent from Snapper Mail to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com get truncated after the subject.

1. You should let someone at Snapper Mail know that this is happening and they should fix it.

2. In the meantime you could just put your entire message in the subject. SMS is supposed to be "short", so this shouldn't be a problem.

3. You are right that you shuouldn't have to shell out more money just to send SMS messages, but Treo300SMS is well worth the money if you send SMS messages and required if you want to receive messages or send to users on other carriers. Unfortunately, "should and shouldn't" doesn't always work out for Sprint users.

4. If you are only sending SMS messages to Sprint users, there are several free programs that will do this. None of them are as good as Treo300SMS because they are limited to sending to Sprint users and they do not allow you to receive SMS messages. If you search these discussion groups for "SMS", you'll find these programs.

5. For the record, Sprint does not support SMS messages at all. They have two other features that people constantly refer to as SMS, but neither of these features is technically SMS.
    One feature is "One Way Text Messages". OWTM are the pop-ups you get when you have a voice mail or when someone sends an e-mail to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
    The other feature is "Short Mail". Short Mail is a web based message system at http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/. You need a web browser to send and receive Short Mail and because Blazer (the web browser that comes with the Treo 300) does not work with this web site, Short Mail is unusable on the Treo300 unless you have Treo300SMS.
    Incidentally, if a non-Sprint (AT&T for example) user sends you an SMS message, Sprint will convert it into Short Mail and send you a pop-up telling you to go to the website to read it. If you have a Treo 300 the pop-up Sprint sends you is very annoying because it tells you that you have a message, but it doesn't tell what the message is and there is no way for you to get it.
    All of this is why Treo300SMS is so useful; without it you simply cannot send or receive Short Mail (or SMS).
    Originally posted by BrianV

I spent like $40 on Snapper and I don't feel like spending $20 or whatever treo300sms costs. I only send SMS to my g/f who has a treo and sending email to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com works fine. However, snapper sends in some format not supported by SMS.

I can however go through blazer and login into my webmail and compose one from there but it takes longer.

Thanks for the advice though. It's just not worth $20 to just be able to send to my g/f once or twice a month.
    FYI,

Sprint will pay for the cost of Treo300SMS if you demand it. It is a function advertised on the headset that doesn't work and you have every right to complain to Sprint. They should credit the difference of the app on you next bill. Many people, including me, have received this credit btw...

Furthermore, there are various other free alternatives to Treo300SMS including a pqa to send "SMS" or text messages to other sprint phones. Search the forums and you'l find a link to it. It is very quick and easy IMO. A second option is to use point Blazer to the following url:

http://www.carde.com/sms/index.html

This is a very simple page desinged by a user on these boards to send sms to other Sprint phones. Both are nice options, but Treo300SMS is really worth it regradless...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the help, the easiet for me is to either find a PQA that can send SMS messages, or even better have snapper mail send these messages so SMS works. I ru myu own mail server so I have aliases for sms.

For instance my girl friend's name is amy so I send to amysms@mydomain.com

It's quite easy, multimail worked fine, but snapper does not.

Anyways, I'll send an email to the snapper mail guys.

PS - what's that free PQA? I downloaded the free trial of treo300sms like 6 months ago. I couldn't justify spending the money for the program, and I still cannot as I do not send SMS msg's to anyone but my g/f and a simple email program should do the job (thus, why I bought snappermail).

PS - what's that free PQA? I downloaded the free trial of treo300sms like 6 months ago. I couldn't justify spending the money for the program, and I still cannot as I do not send SMS msg's to anyone but my g/f and a simple email program should do the job (thus, why I bought snappermail).
    The PQA is same as the url I mentioned above. Check out this thread to get the web clipping...
  8.    #8  

The PQA is same as the url I mentioned above. Check out this thread to get the web clipping...
    Thanks that program is definitely great. I already sent the email to Snapper, hopefully they can offer some insite to the issue. I will post with the details of their reply. In the mean time I will use this program as it works perfectly for me, and is free.

I appreciate the work of the author and I appreciate Gfunk for letting me know of it.

Thanks again!
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by BillFugina
    Wow, I doubted it, but in fact messaegs sent from Snapper Mail to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com get truncated after the subject.

1. You should let someone at Snapper Mail know that this is happening and they should fix it.

2. In the meantime you could just put your entire message in the subject. SMS is supposed to be "short", so this shouldn't be a problem.

3. You are right that you shuouldn't have to shell out more money just to send SMS messages, but Treo300SMS is well worth the money if you send SMS messages and required if you want to receive messages or send to users on other carriers. Unfortunately, "should and shouldn't" doesn't always work out for Sprint users.

4. If you are only sending SMS messages to Sprint users, there are several free programs that will do this. None of them are as good as Treo300SMS because they are limited to sending to Sprint users and they do not allow you to receive SMS messages. If you search these discussion groups for "SMS", you'll find these programs.

5. For the record, Sprint does not support SMS messages at all. They have two other features that people constantly refer to as SMS, but neither of these features is technically SMS.
    One feature is "One Way Text Messages". OWTM are the pop-ups you get when you have a voice mail or when someone sends an e-mail to number@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
    The other feature is "Short Mail". Short Mail is a web based message system at http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/. You need a web browser to send and receive Short Mail and because Blazer (the web browser that comes with the Treo 300) does not work with this web site, Short Mail is unusable on the Treo300 unless you have Treo300SMS.
    Incidentally, if a non-Sprint (AT&T for example) user sends you an SMS message, Sprint will convert it into Short Mail and send you a pop-up telling you to go to the website to read it. If you have a Treo 300 the pop-up Sprint sends you is very annoying because it tells you that you have a message, but it doesn't tell what the message is and there is no way for you to get it.
    All of this is why Treo300SMS is so useful; without it you simply cannot send or receive Short Mail (or SMS).
    This is my setup:

If someone sends an SMS to my phone number or an email to sms@brianv.net it gets pushed right to my phone.

sms@brianv.net is just a mail forward for mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com (which works for a charm).

If someone sends a webmail or an email to cell@brianv.net it sends me a notification that I have a sprint pcs webmail. I then can launch Snapper and check my Sprint Mail (I have it configured as a Pop3 server (pop.sprintpcs.com)).

cell@brianv.net = myacct@sprintpcs.com

Only my friends and family send me SMS msg's and all of them I have configured on my server (for instance my dad is dadsms@brianv.net). That happens to send to NUMBER@voicestream.net.

Thus, I really do not need real SMS support, just a nice email client (which snappermail truly does the charm). Every SMS user I deal with has an email alias (easier for me to remember then their number).

Hopefully now you can see why the most optimal situation for me is to have snappermail able to deliver sms msg's. I can always install Eudora or Multimail again to be able to do this, but I'd prefer to have Snapper do it all.
    That sounds like neat setup! The only thing you could possibly add is Treohelper to launch snappermail automatically every time you get a sms notification. That would truely make it "push"...
  11.    #11  
    That sounds like neat setup! The only thing you could possibly add is Treohelper to launch snappermail automatically every time you get a sms notification. That would truely make it "push"...
    I do have Treohelper, I'll look into configuring it that way.

I received a reply from the snappermail author, he was unaware and he states it does send in clear-text. We'll see if we can get it resolved.
    I received a reply from the snappermail author, he was unaware and he states it does send in clear-text. We'll see if we can get it resolved.
    In the meantime, you can use SnapperMail to send SMS messages if you put your entire message in the subject field and leave the body blank.
    FYI - I've noticed that there may be a conflict between TreoHelper and TreoAlertMgr. I've noticed that since installing TreoHelper, I no longer get repeated alerts from TreoAlertMgr. Removing TreoHelper fixed the problem.

I'm guessing that since TreoHelper now has SMS alerting, it may somehow conflict with AlertMgrs alerting. Just a guess but my limited experimentation seems to confirm.

BTW, there's another new version of TreoAlertMgr available (.75).
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by stuartr
    FYI - I've noticed that there may be a conflict between TreoHelper and TreoAlertMgr. I've noticed that since installing TreoHelper, I no longer get repeated alerts from TreoAlertMgr. Removing TreoHelper fixed the problem.

I'm guessing that since TreoHelper now has SMS alerting, it may somehow conflict with AlertMgrs alerting. Just a guess but my limited experimentation seems to confirm.

BTW, there's another new version of TreoAlertMgr available (.75).
    What does TreoAlertMgr do?
    On my Kyocera phone I used to be able to send SMS messages through the browser option. What happened to this feature. This worked great. Is there any way to do that now? I could view short mail and SMS on that.
    I am using SnapperMail Premier Edition 1.7.3.01 and just sent a message to mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com and it came right through. Subject and message including my signature that gets appended to every e-mail I write.