1.    #1  
    I may need to get a Treo 270. I currently have service with Cingular.

How can I determine where Cingular has GSM service compatible with the Treo 270?

Can the Treo 270 use the SIM cards used in the GAIT phones? (Sony T62U, Nokia 6340i, or Siemens S46)?
    Did you hit Cingular's web site to see their coverage map?? Did you call Cingular? If you have a Cingular SIM and are using Cingular GSM service now, just get an unlocked Treo 270 and swap the SIM into it.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jposin
    Did you hit Cingular's web site to see their coverage map?? Did you call Cingular? If you have a Cingular SIM and are using Cingular GSM service now, just get an unlocked Treo 270 and swap the SIM into it.
    This won't work.

Apparently the SIM for the GAIT (GSM 850/1900, TDMA, AMPS) phones are different from the SIM in a standard GSM phone. One person (at ATT) told me that a GAIT SIM will work in a GSM phone, but a GSM SIM won't work in a GAIT phone. I may be good here if this is true.

At the Cingular Site, the coverage maps do not differentiate TDMA from GSM service. The only way I can tell is to look at phone and deduce from the offerings if that is a GSM or TDMA service area at this time. It does not differentiate a GSM 850mhz from 1900mhz service area. In at least one market it is currently only a TDMA service area, but Cingular is now selling GAIT phones there anticipating the change to GSM. Even if I get a unlocked Treo 270, I do not know if Cingular is setting up GSM 1900 in that market.

What I need to know is where Cingular is installing GSM 1900 mhz and where they will install GSM at 850 mhz.

Now TMobile is only using GSM 1900mhz, but there are a lot of areas with gaps in service.

(I wil be moving and that is why I need to change service, I am on verizon with a 7135 and there is no verizon service in the are I will move to !!! )