1.    #1  
    I've read the threads regarding the recently implemented restriction on outgoing emails....namely, that you have to use username@sprintpcs.com in the "From" field on email sent thru Sprint's SMTP servers.

My understanding is that Sprint still allows the use of non-SprintPCS email address in the "Reply-to" field of outgoing messages.

Does anyone know how to change the "Reply-to" field within Eudora on the Treo? If that's not possible, does anyone have recommendations on alternative email clients that *do* support changes to the "Reply-to" field?

Rick
    Barrington, RI
    hmmm.

the return address (optional): feature in the basic tab in account setup?

but that doesn't make sence, does it?

Snapper Mail lets you do it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Felipe,
    Unfortunately, if I use that field within the Eudora account set-up, the message transmission fails. I guess it changes the outgoing "From" field instead of the "Reply-to" field. I'll take a look at SnapperMail as you suggest.

Rick
    Chatter supports reply-to for SMTP email, but it may not have other email features you'd like (and it's still in beta).

- m
    Originally posted by mblank
    Chatter supports reply-to for SMTP email, but it may not have other email features you'd like (and it's still in beta).

- m
    And chatter unfortunately still doesn't really exist yet!
    Soon??? What's the latest for a release?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    My work around for this Sprint reply thing is to use my own SMTP servers (which Snapper lets you configure). I do not use smtp.sprintpcs.com, I use my own SMTP account with my own user name and PW for that SMTP.
    My work around for this Sprint reply thing is to use my own SMTP servers (which Snapper lets you configure). I do not use smtp.sprintpcs.com, I use my own SMTP account with my own user name and PW for that SMTP.
    Your own server? Want to be a nice guy and start setting up accounts for the few needy users?

I pay for web hosting and luckily that comes with a SMTP account, so I'm ok also.
    I'll think about setting it up for users tonight. I mean not too many people can send too much data from a treo, but I worry about someone giving it to someone else and eventually my server becomes a spam relay, and that would cause a lot of problems for the businesses I host on it.

If there was some way I could make the server only relay from treo's that'd be cool, like if there was a common subnet for vision users. I'll have to look into that as well.
    Originally posted by BrianV
    I'll think about setting it up for users tonight. I mean not too many people can send too much data from a treo, but I worry about someone giving it to someone else and eventually my server becomes a spam relay, and that would cause a lot of problems for the businesses I host on it.

If there was some way I could make the server only relay from treo's that'd be cool, like if there was a common subnet for vision users. I'll have to look into that as well.
    I use 68.24.0.0/255.252.0.0 68.28.0.0/255.255.0.0 to refer to SprintPCS. It's from their whois information. Using smtp-auth would also be advised if you want to make them login to use your service.
    Originally posted by potatoho

I use 68.24.0.0/255.252.0.0 68.28.0.0/255.255.0.0 to refer to SprintPCS. It's from their whois information. Using smtp-auth would also be advised if you want to make them login to use your service.
    Are you sure that Vision users are on that network, are they even on anything *.sprintpcs.com? I can look at my server logs and see what my IP is.

I could easily deny smtp relaying to any IP that isn't 68.24.*.* or 68.28.*.*, but I'd have to make sure I get all the subnets and don't open any that aren't necessary.

Also, if for some strange reason I get contacted by Sprint or if bandwith and support questions get out of hand I'd reserve the ability to pull the plug at any moment, since this isn't a service I'd be offering for sale.

I've seen on other msg boards people offer a free service and then something goes wrong and he gets flamed halfway across the world, I hate that, and would hope people here would understand if I had to pull the plug.

I'll look into setting up a public treo/vision smtp relay for all of you. If you have any suggestions feel free to email me at brian@brianv.net

I may get around to it tonight, but don't take my word for it.

Just to update:

I'd only be offering an SMTP relay, I won't store any of the sent mails on the server, but if you send any confidential mail, etc, I will not be responsible for anything if it becomes compromised. I'll make people fill out an online form agreeing to some of my terms.
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Are you sure that Vision users are on that network, are they even on anything *.sprintpcs.com? I can look at my server logs and see what my IP is.

I could easily deny smtp relaying to any IP that isn't 68.24.*.* or 68.28.*.*, but I'd have to make sure I get all the subnets and don't open any that aren't necessary.
    There are some they give out which are reverse DNS to .sprintpcs.com but not all of them are. What I did was send mail from my device, I got 68.26.254.30. Then I did a whois on that..
    NetRange: 68.24.0.0 - 68.28.255.255
    CIDR: 68.24.0.0/14, 68.28.0.0/16

Notice the 68.24.0.0/14, which is different than 68.24.*.* because it includes 68.25.*.* and 68.26.*.* and 68.27.*.*.

There are some they give out which are reverse DNS to .sprintpcs.com but not all of them are. What I did was send mail from my device, I got 68.26.254.30. Then I did a whois on that..
    NetRange: 68.24.0.0 - 68.28.255.255
    CIDR: 68.24.0.0/14, 68.28.0.0/16

Notice the 68.24.0.0/14, which is different than 68.24.*.* because it includes 68.25.*.* and 68.26.*.* and 68.27.*.*.
    I'm going to go home from work now, I got some plans tonight, but I'll probably send you some emails so we can go over what you know. It'd help a lot, thanks!
    I use:
    68.24.0.0/255.252.0.0
    68.28.0.0/255.255.0.0
    This morning my Treo 300 was using a 68.240. address. Whois shows that as part of a 255.255 block, so add:

68.240.0.0/255.255.0.0