View Poll Results: How do you feel about only being able to respond with a @SprintPCS return address?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it stinks!!

    44 60.27%
  • I have no problem with it.

    15 20.55%
  • I don't use that function or I only use a Sprint account anyway.

    8 10.96%
  • Get a life

    4 5.48%
  • It's all ball bearings and anti-freeze

    2 2.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1.    #1  
    Per potatoho's request, here is a poll about Sprints "new" email limitation.

    What do you think about not being able to send an email via your Treo with any other address then the @SprintPCS.com one?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    I think it stinks!

    That's because when I bought my device, the smtp.sprintpcs.com worked fine; i.e. it allowed me to use my normal from-address. Then a few weeks ago they restricted its use to a username@sprintpcs.com from-address without telling anyone. It breaks all of my stuff! I had to set up my own smtp relay just to use mail on the Treo again.

    So that's why it stinks to me. Because it was once good, and now they've changed it to be bad. And I still pay the same amount.
  3. #3  
    I have my own domain, and SMTP server so it doesn't really matter to me. What I find annoying is when I can't send email using my own SMTP server like some ISP's seem to like blocking. Lets hope sprint doesn't start doing that next!
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by ferrarinu
    I have my own domain, and SMTP server so it doesn't really matter to me. What I find annoying is when I can't send email using my own SMTP server like some ISP's seem to like blocking. Lets hope sprint doesn't start doing that next!
    You should be able to configure your SMTP server to selectively relay to another host based on recipient. Last month AOL began blocking mail from hosts with dyndns-like addresses. So with qmail I added this to my smtproutes file:

    .aol.com:smtp-server.cfl.rr.com
    aol.com:smtp-server.cfl.rr.com

    My SMTP server is on a rr.com cable modem, which has priviliges to use their SMTP server. On sendmail I believe the option is called mailertable.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by potatoho

    You should be able to configure your SMTP server to selectively relay to another host based on recipient. Last month AOL began blocking mail from hosts with dyndns-like addresses. So with qmail I added this to my smtproutes file:

    .aol.com:smtp-server.cfl.rr.com
    aol.com:smtp-server.cfl.rr.com

    My SMTP server is on a rr.com cable modem, which has priviliges to use their SMTP server. On sendmail I believe the option is called mailertable.
    Good Tip potatoho, Thanks for the info!
  6. #6  
    From Sprint

    The reasons for this problem and the solutions are listed below.
    Account settings for email clients usually have two fields regarding where mail is coming from. In Outlook Express and in Outlook profile setup and Palm or WinCE email clients, there is a field for E-mail address and Reply address.

    The E-mail address field shows in the receiver's email client as the From: field.
    The Reply address is used if the receiver uses the Reply to function and is used as the To: field on their new outgoing email.
    There are two possible reasons why a user can receive PCS Mail, but cannot send. Both assist with cutting down on Spam coming from PCS Mail accounts.

    Reason 1: The PCS Mail SMTP (sending) server will not send an email if the user is not logged into the Vision network. If an email client is set up to send email while connected using a Vision device, it will not work if an Internet connection is made any other way.
    Solution: You must be logged into the Vision network, not just an Internet connection.
    Reason 2: The PCS Mail SMTP server will not send an email if the E-mail address field does not match the PCS Mail address. If an email client is set up with a different email address in the E-mail address field, it will not be sent.
    Solution: the E-mail address field has to match the account email address that is really being used to send email out through.
    Meaning - the E-mail address field has to be username@sprintpcs.com in order to be allowed to be sent. The Reply address can still be setup for anything, in a business customer's case, his company email address, or an alternate email account.
    Notes:

    These measures were instituted for the same reason other ISP's switched to it several years ago - Spam control.

    Prior to these controls being put into place, a spammer could send an email with no valid email address for the user to complain about.
    After these controls were put into place, the reply address may be made up, but the From: address is valid.
  7. #7  
    get a life sounds about right,

    you have the knowlege to use a palm (eg, treo) yet do not know ANY other smtp servers??


    you GOT to be kidding me



    SPCS SUCKS **** get a new smtp server and shut up
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by sprintspoiler
    (snip)
    These measures were instituted for the same reason other ISP's switched to it several years ago - Spam control.

    Prior to these controls being put into place, a spammer could send an email with no valid email address for the user to complain about.
    After these controls were put into place, the reply address may be made up, but the From: address is valid.
    Thanks for the response. However, these reasons are preposterous!

    SprintPCS uses smtp-auth which requires that anyone sending via smtp.sprintpcs.com must login with a valid sprintpcs account. So..... there are a bunch of spammers with valid sprintpcs accounts? Umm, why not look in the logs and cancel the account?

    Why punish us all for an easily located/resolved abuse problem?
  9. #9  
    I've got to agree with quake8 and Sprint here. Leaving a loophole where anyone can send (or broadcast) e-mail from the Sprint SMTP server with a bogus "From" address is just asking to be abused.

    Use the Sprint SMTP server with your actual "From:" address and whatever "Reply to:" address you want, or use your ISP's SMTP server.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by quake8
    get a life sounds about right,

    you have the knowlege to use a palm (eg, treo) yet do not know ANY other smtp servers??


    you GOT to be kidding me



    SPCS SUCKS **** get a new smtp server and shut up
    The point is WE"RE ALREADY PAYING FOR THE SPRINTPCS SMTP SERVERS! Why should I now be forced to pay an additional $20-$40 bucks for a functionality that already should be included in the $140+ I pay every month! GOOD GRIEF!! That is absolutely astounding and inexcusable error IMO!!

    Also, there are other ways to block spam, so I don't buy that arguement from Sprint. If it truely is their motive, then it certainly is a short sighted method b/c it significantly reduces the attrativeness of their product. Can you imagine a newbie getting a Treo only to learn that the he/she can ONLY send email via their Sprintpcs account! That is ridiculous! I think the real motive is make users get their business acct service so they can squeeze a few more bucks every month. This whole thing totally stink as far as I'm concerned!!
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by scrinch
    I've got to agree with quake8 and Sprint here. Leaving a loophole where anyone can send (or broadcast) e-mail from the Sprint SMTP server with a bogus "From" address is just asking to be abused.
    One of the purposes, if not the main one, of smtp-auth is to allow clients to authenticate separately from their source and destination identities, whether that be a from-address or source IP. Smtp-auth allows LEGITIMATE customers of the ISP to conveniently use the smtp service from different devices/locations and with a choice of identities. Hence, if you don't have an account it won't let you send mail. Why is that not enough protection against abuse?

    Anyways, I think the work-arounds to this are really understating the problems. Here are some bad things which happen by being required to use your phone's from-address:

    - You are allowing your phone's email addr to be harvested if you post to any public places. This can really add up to a lot of SPAM, for *you*. The harvesting software doesn't care about reply-to nonsense, it will just pick up whatever addresses exist in the email. We used to have that problem with the original RIM devices, which were locked into an email address.

    - You may be unable to post to mailing lists using a non-subscribed address. This was implemented to keep spammers off of lists, and is generally a good thing, but that means that it won't work with your sprintpcs from-address unless you used it to subscribe.

    Use the Sprint SMTP server with your actual "From:" address and whatever "Reply to:" address you want, or use your ISP's SMTP server.
    Sprint is the ISP in our case. We want email address portability, just as much as phone people want number portability
  12. josendo's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #12  
    Has anyone heard any response from Sprint? Is this a permanent change?
  13. #13  
    Alright, I'm a little confused now as to what the actual problem is. I've been fooling around with Eudora and just sent mail from my Optonline account with my Treo. It sent as myname@optonline.net and arrived in my outlook from myname@optonline.net to myname@optonline.net

    What's the deal? What am I missing? Isn't this how it's supposed to work?
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    The point is WE"RE ALREADY PAYING FOR THE SPRINTPCS SMTP SERVERS! Why should I now be forced to pay an additional $20-$40 bucks for a functionality that already should be included in the $140+ I pay every month! GOOD GRIEF!! That is absolutely astounding and inexcusable error IMO!! . . .
    Now that I finally figured out how to make my email on my Treo work again, even replying to messages picked off my ISP's server, I thought I was all set.

    Are you telling us that now Sprint is going to charge us extra for sending and receiving email this way????

    Regards,

    NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by NateS


    Now that I finally figured out how to make my email on my Treo work again, even replying to messages picked off my ISP's server, I thought I was all set.

    Are you telling us that now Sprint is going to charge us extra for sending and receiving email this way????

    Regards,

    NateS
    No. The extra money I was referring to was in regards to purchasing an email account from a 3rd party vender like fastmail.fm for example, not Sprint...

    P.S. How did you get your email to wrok agian? Thanks...
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Alright, I'm a little confused now as to what the actual problem is. I've been fooling around with Eudora and just sent mail from my Optonline account with my Treo. It sent as myname@optonline.net and arrived in my outlook from myname@optonline.net to myname@optonline.net

    What's the deal? What am I missing? Isn't this how it's supposed to work?
    I'm not sure what to say. I see your post from another thread and you are complaining about the same issue as us.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=2

    What did you change in your configuration?

    Anyways, the deal is, as I understand it..

    Sprint recently changed their SMTP policy so that you must use your sprintpcs username as your from-address.

    55% of us are upset because they broke our stuff, and we don't want to use our sprintpcs username for various reasons.

    22% of us are ok with Sprint making this policy change.

    11% say Sprint sux0rs and recommend that we setup our own SMTP server or steal bandwidth from an open relay.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Alright, I'm a little confused now as to what the actual problem is. I've been fooling around with Eudora and just sent mail from my Optonline account with my Treo. It sent as myname@optonline.net and arrived in my outlook from myname@optonline.net to myname@optonline.net

    What's the deal? What am I missing? Isn't this how it's supposed to work?

    Are you sure you weren't usign the Optonline smtp server? Basically you cannot use the Sprint smtp servers unless you send from your "username@sprintpcs.com" account. This does NOT involve any other smtp servers you use, only the smtp.sprintpcs.com servers. Thus you should not have any problems with optonline.net. But for others who primarily used the Sprint smtp servers to send email, this has become a major problem.

    For example, if do not select my "username@sprintpcs.com" in the From field of the message to be sent and I use the Sprint smtp servers, I get the following error:

    "An address has error:
    .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to " ".com. Solution:Connect using " " Internet Service."
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    For example, if do not select my "username@sprintpcs.com" in the From field of the message to be sent and I use the Sprint smtp servers, I get the following error:

    "An address has error:
    .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to " ".com. Solution:Connect using " " Internet Service."
    Not sure about that particular error, never seen that one. Maybe you're not using smtp-auth.

    I'm just talking about the "550 5.7.1 500 Not Allowd..." error.
  19. #19  
    "Are you sure you weren't usign the Optonline smtp server? Basically you cannot use the Sprint smtp servers unless you send from your "username@sprintpcs.com" account. This does NOT involve any other smtp servers you use, only the smtp.sprintpcs.com servers. Thus you should not have any problems with optonline.net. But for others who primarily used the Sprint smtp servers to send email, this has become a major problem. "
    ________________________________________________
    Yes, I was using the Optonline smtp server...I thought that was the issue. If I'm understanding it properly now, the problem is that you guys can't respond using your Sprint e-mail/Sprint smtp server without your Sprint e-mail address appearing to the recipient? I just simply reply with Optimum with mails received to my Sprint Account, but I guess if you don't have another account to respond with, that is the issue?
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    . . .P.S. How did you get your email to wrok agian? Thanks...
    See my posts and others at: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...293#post221293

    Regards,

    NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions