View Poll Results: How do you feel about only being able to respond with a @SprintPCS return address?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it stinks!!

44 60.27%
  • I have no problem with it.

15 20.55%
  • I don't use that function or I only use a Sprint account anyway.

8 10.96%
  • Get a life

4 5.48%
  • It's all ball bearings and anti-freeze

2 2.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by authentication
    How about this theory -- SnapperMail is much better than TreoMail so gets many more users. SnapperMail allows direct POP3 access, TreoMail doesn't. So, Sprint, favoring troubled Handspring, implements the new rules to favor TreoMail, which still works just fine.
    Oh my gosh.. YOU NAILED IT!!!

I never could articulate a reason why Sprint would tee off so many users, but your theory makes perfect sense. TreoMail is the indirect beneficiary of this new policy, which works against the SnapperMail and other direct access products.
    Originally posted by potatoho

I never could articulate a reason why Sprint would tee off so many users, but your theory makes perfect sense. TreoMail is the indirect beneficiary of this new policy, which works against the SnapperMail and other direct access products.
    Hmmm... maybe your right. It seems Handspring will not be bundling Treomail with the GSM/GPRS versions of the Treo600:

The Treo 600 will also come with a new SMS application that can collect the messages exchanged between two people into a Chat View, making them appear like the interface people are used to in Instant Messenging applications. There will also be an MMS client for the GSM version capable of sending pictures taken with the Treo 600's integrated camera. The CDMA version will also have a way to exchange photos.
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ha...veils_Treo_600

This would explain why Handspring would bundle Treomail on the cdma version of Treo600 while not on the gsm/gprs version...The gsm carriers probably will not block access to their mail servers...
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho

As usual I'm coming to the party late.

Most likely the main reason is twofold.

1) Prevent spammers from relaying mail. Passwords are likely easy to guess/crack for vision accounts. Most users want no password so they make it as simple as possible.

2) To prevent Sprint from getting onto open relay lists which would in turn prevent anyone from receiving your email. Anything sent from Sprint would be put into the bit bucket as long as Sprint was on the list. Then you would have much bigger problems than having to use proper servers to send your messages.

While its a pain for those who were trying to get something for nothing it benefits everyone to not have your mail rejected simply because Sprint didn't follow standards.

We have blocked several thousand spammers at my employer due to being on an open relay list. In fact at one time we were on the list and it isn't easy to get off it once you're black listed.
    Originally posted by tarfin
    As usual I'm coming to the party late.
    I guess nobody told this thread. They changed it back to the way it was last week.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34744
    I was very relieved that Sprint allowed use of our e-mail accounts again.

On a related note, in response to an earlier poster, nobody here was talking about wanting Sprint be an open relay or getting anything for free. Rather, we just wanted to be able to use the accounts that we are paying for every month. Sprint was not even allowing us to send mail through our accounts when we were authenticating against them with our paid for Sprint userid and passwords. There is no spam possibilities in these cases that are not just as likely when using Sprint e-mail servers directly. The fact that they have now changed it back proves that spam was not the real reason for their original decision. Whatever that reason was, I'm just glad they are back to allowing us to use our accounts.
    Originally posted by authentication
    Whatever that reason was, I'm just glad they are back to allowing us to use our accounts.
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Especially since I now have even more email addresses that I sent from.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123