View Poll Results: How do you feel about only being able to respond with a @SprintPCS return address?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it stinks!!

44 60.27%
  • I have no problem with it.

15 20.55%
  • I don't use that function or I only use a Sprint account anyway.

8 10.96%
  • Get a life

4 5.48%
  • It's all ball bearings and anti-freeze

2 2.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    If I'm understanding it properly now, the problem is that you guys can't respond using your Sprint e-mail/Sprint smtp server without your Sprint e-mail address appearing to the recipient? I just simply reply with Optimum with mails received to my Sprint Account, but I guess if you don't have another account to respond with, that is the issue?
    Yes that's pretty much the issue. Let's say I get an ISP account from bellsouth.net, and let's also say I have bellsouth, hotmail, yahoo, etc email accounts -- who doesn't right. Then let's say bellsouth.net decides that I can't use "their" mail server to send mail with a from-address of me@hotmail, me@yahoo etc, despite there being plenty of ways to authenticate me as a valid user; i.e. smtp-auth.

55% of us wouldn't like that very much, and would probably change ISPs. But alas, can't do that with SprintPCS because the ISP and the wireless provider are one in the same.

So now, at a minimum, we require some extra mail service to be able to use our other email addresses without getting our Sprint phone address harvested by the spammers. Some happen to have another ISP for their home computer with a more flexible configuration, whereas some are forced to pay for services such as fastmail.fs.

I think it is actually a very similar issue to number portability. The difference is in the way that there really is no default email service on the Treo. Stuff like this certainly doesn't help in setting up new users.

I also wonder if it has something to do with the RIM patents. When I first got my t-mobile sidekick, it always allowed for a custom from-address, but it would add some (wireless) tag to it. That was to comply with a RIM patent which made it an infringement to send email transparently from a PDA. Get it? If people thought it came straight from your desktop, then it would be infringing on RIM's patent, so they added a stupid tag to give away that you are wireless. They don't do that any more.
    Thanks Potatoho. Now I get it. That's why I use Optimum to reply to all my Sprint e-mails....to protect the Sprint address. I see why that's such a big issue now.
    Originally posted by potatoho

Yes that's pretty much the issue. Let's say I get an ISP account from bellsouth.net, and let's also say I have bellsouth, hotmail, yahoo, etc email accounts -- who doesn't right. Then let's say bellsouth.net decides that I can't use "their" mail server to send mail with a from-address of me@hotmail, me@yahoo etc, despite there being plenty of ways to authenticate me as a valid user; i.e. smtp-auth.
    Wow, that is exactly my situation entirely! I have Bellsouth as my main ISP for broadband and mail as well as yahoo, hotmail etc. Because Bellsouth does not allow you use their smpt servers unless your logged on to it for your ISP, I had come to rely on Sprint's smtp servers. Now we don't even have access to that which is very frustrating. Thus I now have TWO different ISPs which both do not allow me freely use their mail servers to send mail!
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow, that is exactly my situation entirely! I have Bellsouth as my main ISP for broadband and mail as well as yahoo, hotmail etc. Because Bellsouth does not allow you use their smpt servers unless your logged on to it for your ISP, I had come to rely on Sprint's smtp servers. Now we don't even have access to that which is very frustrating. Thus I now have TWO different ISPs which both do not allow me freely use their mail servers to send mail!
    It's pretty common to have an IP restriction on sending mail. In fact, I was most impressed by SprintPCS's use of smtp-auth, because none of my other ISPs use that. But then they went and did this crapola.

Assuming your broadband ISP allows you to send with your other from-addresses (my rr.com does), then what you can do is set up your PC to relay mail for your Treo. Actually, it could probably work with a simple proxy, but most mailer agents (qmail sendmail etc) have the option to relay through another agent. I use a free service from dyndns.org to give my broadband connection a DNS hostname, so that I can easily reach it from the Treo.

To be honest I'm not sure of the bellsouth capabilities. Let me test them out, since I also have a bellsouth.net dial-up. I'll update this message when I'm done.

Edited..

Nah bellsouth.net doesn't support smtp-auth, nor pop auth. I really can't test whether they allow various from-addresses unless I use dial-up.. and who knows where my modem is these days
    Last edited by potatoho; 05/29/2003 at 09:44 AM.
  5.    #25  
    That is the exact boat I am in. However I use Road Runner and not Bellsouth. I really don't have a beef with RR due to it never being able to be done by me in the past. However I do have a beef with Sprint doing it because it's a moblie device, they only serve mobile devices via their ISP (SPrintPSC) I believe, and it use to work for me at one time. This limits one of the reasons I bought a Treo and use Sprint. I don't want to use my @SprintPCS one becasue I don't want SPAM in it. I use the Sprint PCS addy for friends and family only and have it set to SMS me if anyone emails me at the SprintPCS one.

Sorry for the rant, Matt Burkhard

It's not so much not having something that I dislike, it's once having it, then having it taken away. I rather have never had it in the first place, but that's just me.
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    It's not so much not having something that I dislike, it's once having it, then having it taken away. I rather have never had it in the first place, but that's just me.
    Hey look! Someone beat us to it..

http://www.sprintpcs-sucks.org
    Just a quick quesiton: After checking out various email service alternatives, I was wondering if anyone knew if Yahoo Pus (paid service) allowed you to access their smtp servers fro sending mail? I would like to use yahoo instead of fastmail, b/c it would be more convenient. Does anyone have any info?...

Thanks...
    Just a quick quesiton: After checking out various email service alternatives, I was wondering if anyone knew if Yahoo Pus (paid service) allowed you to access their smtp servers fro sending mail? I would like to use yahoo instead of fastmail, b/c it would be more convenient. Does anyone have any info?...
    ------------------
    I've been using Yahoo Plus since I purchased my Treo last year. Not exactly sure what your question is but I have no problem sending or recieving email via Yahoo pop and smtp servers. Eudora or Snappermail work fine, I have not tried to access Yahoo via Blazer on the web with my treo. BTW, I wrote off @sprintpcs.com a long time ago, the servers weren't very reliable last year and I can't trust my business to half backed schemes.
    Originally posted by E. G.
    I've been using Yahoo Plus since I purchased my Treo last year. Not exactly sure what your question is but I have no problem sending or recieving email via Yahoo pop and smtp servers. Eudora or Snappermail work fine, I have not tried to access Yahoo via Blazer on the web with my treo. BTW, I wrote off @sprintpcs.com a long time ago, the servers weren't very reliable last year and I can't trust my business to half backed schemes.
    What I'm trying to ask is: is it possible to use the Yahoo smtp servers to send mail using other non-yahoo accts? I would like to use the yahoo mail servers to send mail using my bellsouth acct. I know I can do this w/Fastmail.fm, but I woud like using Yahoo b/c I could then POP3 my yahoo accts as well. Thus basically I want to be able to use the yahoo severs like I previously was using the sprint mail servers. I would prefer not to have to get both yahoo+ and fastmail....

Thanks...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/05/2003 at 08:21 PM.

What I'm trying to ask is: is it possible to use the Yahoo smtp servers to send mail using other non-yahoo accts? I would like to use the yahoo mail servers to send mail using my bellsouth acct. I know I can do this w/Fastmail.fm, but I woud like using Yahoo b/c I could then POP3 my yahoo accts as well. Thus basically I want to be able to use the yahoo severs like I previously was using the sprint mail servers. I would prefer not to have to get both yahoo+ and fastmail....

Thanks...
    Any sage out there that can answer this question? Potatoho?

Thanks
    I've not personally used the Yahoo Plus service. From reading the help section it appears that you may use any from address, but you must first validate it. Validation usually consists of the usual test message they send, and a confirmation you send back.

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/p.../about-01.html
    Thanks for the link Potatoho!

I'll check it out let you guys know if it works...
    I have now tried using my @sprintpcs.com address, and am still getting the relaying error. Has anyone experienced that?
    Is it possible to set up my sprint account to forward to my regular account, so that it doesn't matter if people reply to my sprint account?
    Hmm, you know this fastmail.fm isn't so bad. I've been using the free configuration for a week or so just to see if I would be happy with it as my primary email. The free service doesn't let you SMTP so it doesn't solve the problem of this thread, but I wanted to mention a cool configuration for others who are currently using their own server to retrieve their mail from their ISP.

I was using fetchmail to poll for mail every 10 minutes. So that's the quickest it would show up in my local mailbox, at 10 minute intervals. Fetchmail is great because it runs mail through my procmail script and let's me coalesce many outside mailboxes into one local one.

Check this out though.. fetchmail supports IMAP and the IDLE feature. So if you configure fetchmail for daemon mode, it will maintain an IMAP connection with fastmail and retrieve it right away into your local mailbox without any delay.

I know, people are saying, DUH!, that's what it's supposed to do. But my point is, that I was always putting off moving to IMAP because I didn't like my client's IMAP support, or I didn't know how to get my procmail scripts to work with it etc. But now I find that I didn't have to change squat since I was already using fetchmail, and I just had to add a stanza to the configuration. Very cool.
    I was just wondering if anyone saw this news blurb regarding earthlink and Sprint:

EarthLink and Sprint Hooking Up

EarthLink customers can now access their EarthLink email accounts from wireless handhelds and smartphones using Sprint's PCS Vision high-speed wireless service. This saves users from having to use multiple email accounts.
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/BrightBytes_June_17

Does this mean Sprint will now selectively make agreements with various ISP's to allow vision users to access thier pop3/smtp accounts? Could this be WHY Sprint recently changed their smpt policy? If true, then Sprint would have to make such agreements with lots of different providers to make sure vision customers could access their ISP's email servers. IMO, this seems too overly complicated. Why not just allow vision custmers access to Sprint smtp servers? I just don't understand this at all. The only reason could be to reduce the load on the Sprint smtp servers for services like picture mail etc. Can anyone shed some light on this?....
    I read something about Sprint providing an Earthlink Portal. Not sure what that means though.
    Why not just allow vision customers access to Sprint smtp servers?
    They don't allow it because a person can have a certain (granted, not absolute) anonymity when they are not required to send e-mails with a known "From:" address. Now you may not take advantage of this anonymity to do something malicious, and I may not, but given enough time, somebody will. Just because someone pays $40/month to be an authenticated user doesn't mean that he is a benevolent user. If your emails are always readily identifiable as yours then you can be held responsible for every e-mail you send on their system. If you can use their server to send harassing e-mails from jerk@stalker.net without being identified, then I'd say it is a potential problem. They are plugging a security hole when they require a valid (on their server) "From:" address.

Regarding Earthlink, I've been retrieving and sending using Earthlink's POP and SMTP-auth servers without interruption since last November. I don't see what has changed (at least for us Treo users) with this new agreement.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    They don't allow it because a person can have a certain (granted, not absolute) anonymity when they are not required to send e-mails with a known "From:" address.
    I think earlier someone floated that THEORY. But I myself believe in the cash theory.. that somehow this works its way into getting people to pay more money. If they just want to trace emails it is utterly simple, just like hotmail started doing back in 1995 with their X-headers & stuff.

Besides there's probably a lot of us who don't give a crap about Sprint's dogma. They're certainly not doing this crowd any favors. First we hear it's about spam control. Now it's suggested that it's about stalkers.

Come on.. I'll bet soup to nuts it was some tech who answered the wrong question on the email server configuration wizard.
    How about this theory -- SnapperMail is much better than TreoMail so gets many more users. SnapperMail allows direct POP3 access, TreoMail doesn't. So, Sprint, favoring troubled Handspring, implements the new rules to favor TreoMail, which still works just fine. As a former TreoMail who still has an account despite having converted to Snapper some time ago, I now receive my e-mail with SnapperMail and send with TreoMail. How pathetic is that.

Thanks Sprint.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast