1.    #1  
    I'm gonna throw this out there.. Anyone try this thing:
    http://www.skullcandy.com/

It's a headset or earbud with both a music player plug and a cellphone plug. So you can use it for both and it has muting controls etc.

Wonder if they have a Treo compatible model.
    they probably updated after you posted but it now specifically says it is compatible with the treo. pretty cool idea
    I've been using the Skullcandy headset for several weeks --- it works well.

I can listen to music -- and IF I hear a call coming in, I can switch to talking -- with the mike on the headphone's cable working decently.

The biggest PROBLEM is that the Treo does not generate ANY notification tone in the headset for an incoming call !!

I miss almost all calls because of this !!! I wish I knew of a work around, since almost every cell phone I've ever used generated a notification tones in the headset for incoming calls

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated !

Barry
  4.    #4  
    Yeah but don't you need to throw a switch on the skullcandy anyways. So even if the Treo made a sound on the earphone it wouldn't go to your ear while the skullcandy is in music mode.

I wound up using vibrate mode and then keeping it in my front pocket or something while I drive.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I wound up using vibrate mode and then keeping it in my front pocket or something while I drive.
    Remind me to stay far away from you while you drive with earphones on.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    We have received a large number of inquiries about providing a stereo headset for the new Treo 600. In fact, we have received a number of phone calls from customers saying that Handspring has specifically been referring people to our site for this product.

We tested the new 600 yesterday, and found that the Skullcandy SCx-N4 model (labeled as Nokia 2.5mm / Treo) works GREAT on this new model.

We have always worked with the earlier models (270, 300, etc), and we have just confirmed that we are also compatible on the 600.

You can check out the product at www.skullcandy.com, or call 435.940.1545 for more info.

FYI; Skullcandy Link is a patented technology that links a users music player together with a cellphone through the same pair of stereo headphones. The product is available in three different models: Wraps, earbuds, and ‘Jacked.’ The Jacked model has no headphones. Instead, it is equipped with a 3.5mm headphone plug. This allows you to plug any pair of headphones you already own into a Skullcandy Link. There are hundreds of reviews of the product all over the net, so I won’t go into a biased diatribe of how well the product works.

Hope this isn't seen as too much of a sales job in the middle of the thread. Just letting you know what's out there.

Enjoy…
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Skullcandy
    We tested the new 600 yesterday, and found that the Skullcandy SCx-N4 model (labeled as Nokia 2.5mm / Treo) works GREAT on this new model.
    I thought the 600 used a universal jack, and the 270/300 used a nokia jack. I'm confused
    I read a post that it might take universal jack as well. that's why we wanted to test it. It definitely works exactly as expected with the Nokia 4-barrell plug.

rick
    Hey you guys that are currently using the Skullcandy adapter with the Treo 600 - which version are you using? Just looking for confirmation (no offense meant to Rick from Skullcandy).
  10.    #10  
    I gotta say that I'm still confused. From my notes, here are the pinouts of Nokia vs. Universal.

Nokia 4 pin 2.5mm:

round tip = speaker +
    next ring = microphone +
    next ring = speaker -
    bottom ring = microphone -

Normal 2.5mm:

round tip = microphone
    ring = speaker
    sleeve = ground

The 600 tech ref docs say the 600 uses a standard 3-pole 2.5mm. And the picture of the headset accessory on handspring.com clearly shows a 3-pole connector, and says it's not compatible with 270/300.

http://handspring.com/products/Produ...005&cat=310005

Now looking at the pinouts I suppose a 4-pole could be stuck into the jack and work, but it would likely be flaky because the two tip pins may be shorting. Reading some other threads here people have mentioned using 270/300 headsets but they don't stay plugged in.

My fear is that I have in the past tried to make an adapter to go from a Nokia accessory to a Universal, and it sometimes involves more than pinout differences, especially when going from a balanced to unbalanced microphone. I encountered severe distortion with my Jabra Freespeak, and so that's why I've been waiting for the Seidio reverse adapter for so long. I think they need to use transformers & stuff in the adapter.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I gotta say that I'm still confused. From my notes, here are the pinouts of Nokia vs. Universal.

Nokia 4 pin 2.5mm:

round tip = speaker +
    next ring = microphone +
    next ring = speaker -
    bottom ring = microphone -

Normal 2.5mm:

round tip = microphone
    ring = speaker
    sleeve = ground

The 600 tech ref docs say the 600 uses a standard 3-pole 2.5mm. And the picture of the headset accessory on handspring.com clearly shows a 3-pole connector, and says it's not compatible with 270/300.

http://handspring.com/products/Produ...005&cat=310005

Now looking at the pinouts I suppose a 4-pole could be stuck into the jack and work, but it would likely be flaky because the two tip pins may be shorting. Reading some other threads here people have mentioned using 270/300 headsets but they don't stay plugged in.

My fear is that I have in the past tried to make an adapter to go from a Nokia accessory to a Universal, and it sometimes involves more than pinout differences, especially when going from a balanced to unbalanced microphone. I encountered severe distortion with my Jabra Freespeak, and so that's why I've been waiting for the Seidio reverse adapter for so long. I think they need to use transformers & stuff in the adapter.

Yes, I'd say I'm confused too. ALL the offical Handspring headsets (adapter, stereo headset, and mic/earpiece) have only a 3-pole. No way I'm sticking a 4-pole in there and risking ruining the thing!

Anyone from Skullcandy able to comment?
    bump
    This is just a guess but maybe the 4th pole is for stereo sound. Does that make sense or am I just making up stuff now?
    Just a quick update before I head down to the factory...

I owe a bit of an apology. when we tested the skullcandy 4-pole unit on the phone, it worked great with an external music source, it also worked great to listen to stereo music on the 600's p-tunes application. what we have since discovered, is that our current wiring does not let our microphone work on the unit. the voice the other end was hearing was coming through the mic on the 600 itself.

We are rapidly working on a new model specificaly for the 600, and will likely have it on the market mid-december. if you want us to notify you when it is available, send me an email direct to rick@skullcandy.com. I'll drop a quick note when it is ready.

Enjoy...
    Skullcandy, FWIW, I described this problem a few days ago, except on the Colby headphones. Hope this helps!