1.    #1  
    I have a cingular account. I bought the Treo 180 for $150.00 from
    tigerdirect, that did not specifically state only T-mobile, only
    insert the sim card to activate. Cingular tells me, no worries,
    we'll ask T mobile for the unlock code, easy as that.

Two weeks later, I call on status at Cingular, CS Rep says it's
    already unlocked. Wrong, it won't work. I had to explain, only the
    WorldPhone and T-mobile was unlocked, not the cingular. The manager tech says, the strict regulations are that T-mobile can only unlock a USED PHONE, not a new phone. HUH?

After getting bounced back and forth between T-mobile and Cingular CS, I call Handspring. Handspring tells me that Tiger was doing false advertising, that it was even taken off of the Tiger website.

Handspring Tech noted1) Deceptive advertisement, as he alone gets 10 calls a week on this, if not more. (2) For $150, they are passing refurbs as new, as many other items on the website. (3) It was totally unlockable. (4) Here's a case number, get a RMA & send it back. (5) Don't buy from Tiger Direct, run away far, far away.

I call Tiger Direct to get a RMA, but end up getting yelled at by
    the CS Rep. He says, don't you read the fine print, it was all over
    the ad for the Treo 180, that even if I were current T-mobile user,
    it wouldn't work, because it was only for new subscribers.

Which brings me to (6) Tiger had to pull the ads, because of the
    misrepresentation. In other words, the guy was full of it, and
    defensive. When he told me to look on the website, I mentioned 1-6. Then I was put on hold for a good 3 minutes, but I got my RMA.

I admit it, I knew all along. I knew the warnings you guys have been posting here and there. But for $150.00, I got the scoop, which I hope will be refunded. But, that's for another post.
    In the end there can be only one. Let it not be Bill Gates.
    I got one from Tiger Direct and it's not locked. I also use Cingular.

I researched this before buying the Treo 180 and everyone says that's it is unlocked. There are no locked or unlocked version of the Handspring phone.

If you don't believe me, so a search on this forum and the other treo forums.

Yours might be just bad.
    One thing I did before using the Treo was upgrade it to the GPRS version.

Go here: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/149-1.htm

Make sure to do step 3 and download the modified currentcarrier.pdb. Yours might be just locked into the previous carrier. This will reset it.
  4.    #4  
    The only jacked part on me was I got dissed by the customer service rep guy, almost insulted. I was a CSR supervisor once, I fired a guy for that behavior. Felt good to be the one refusing to hang up for a change and asking for a supervisor.

Actually, I spoke to 2 reps. The first rep told me I could return it, just ask Handspring for case number.

I was only repeating what was told to me by the Handspring guy.

I got my refund, in full. Tigerdirect.com still kicks **** in the refurb bizz. This was my first personal order from them, but not my first business order and not my last.

When I felt the Treo 180 in my hand and messing with it, I remembered I promised myself never to go back to Gray Scale.

I let it go, I'm resorting back to my Visor Phone, but I let it go.
    Damb, that thing is bulky.

Why did I let it go? The Handspring & Palm merger?!?!?
    (very interesting)
  5. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by donlab
    I got one from Tiger Direct and it's not locked. I also use Cingular.

I researched this before buying the Treo 180 and everyone says that's it is unlocked. There are no locked or unlocked version of the Handspring phone.
    I got mine from Tiger Direct, and it's locked to T-Mobile. I have a Cingular SIM that worked in my previous TREO (that I broke), and it doesn't work in this one. I called Handspring and they confirmed it.

Since I didn't have a contract with Cingular and since I wanted the $150 rebate, I didn't mind signing up with T-Mobile, but it did **** me off that TigerDirect was not explaining in their advertising that the handheld (mine at least) would be carrier-locked.

When I called their customer service, they were horrible and insulting (story changed three times in five minutes). I did get an RMA eventually, but kept the Treo after all since it was cheap.

My lesson learned, though: Stay away from Tiger Direct.

IMHO. YMMV.

Oliver
  6. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    One thing I did before using the Treo was upgrade it to the GPRS version.
    Mine already came with the GRPS patch applied.

Oliver
  7.    #7  
    >When I called their customer service, they were horrible and >insulting (story changed three times in five minutes). I did get >an RMA eventually, but kept the Treo after all since it was cheap.

So I'm not the only one after all.

The funny part was when I was told that it was a world phone. OK fine, so it is. <La de friken da>

Until my Lotto numbers hit, I don't think I'm gonna be taking my personal jet to Monaco anytime soon.
  8. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Pinworm
    >The funny part was when I was told that it was a world phone. OK fine, so it is. <La de friken da>

Until my Lotto numbers hit, I don't think I'm gonna be taking my personal jet to Monaco anytime soon.
    Well, actually it is a dual-band phone. I have used my previous Treo 180 in a variety of European countries. I bought a local pre-paid SIM card and plugged it in, thus avoiding the huge roaming fees Cingular would charge me. And this is exactly why the carrier lock on this Tiger Direct "deal" pissed me off -- I can't take *this* Treo to Europe (unless I can get T-Mobile to unlock it for me).

Oliver
    There are no locked or unlocked version of the Handspring phone.

If you don't believe me, so a search on this forum and the other treo forums.
    I don't believe you and no one else should either. There are locked Treos out there. I had one.
    One would have to be rather clueless to state that there are no locked Treos. Of course there are. I have one. To be unlocked today. Hopefully.