1.    #1  
    In case you haven't heard about it or seen it...

Hitachi Multimedia Communicator Pocket PC, the company’s first Windows Powered device and the first Pocket PC to feature an integrated camera, keyboard, and phone feature all in one mobile device.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C1365/
    Last edited by stuartr; 05/24/2003 at 11:36 AM.
    The Hitachi look and sounds sweet. I wonder how well integrated it is compared to the Treo 300? I've only had the treo for 9 days and so far really like it for ease of use and relatively few bugs. I do have issues and concern for the Treo's reliability (hinge breaking) and the short battery life. Battery life is a real issue for me since I'll kill the battery twice a day with the usage profile I need, which means I have to have both the AC and 12 V chargers with me and a place to plug it into wherever I'm at. Not a good scenerio!

I wonder what the new Treo will be like? Is there any other Sprint PDA phone out there that's better than the Treo for e-mail and web access? I am debating whether to keep the treo or return it before my 14 day trial is up and get something else that's better.
    The Hitachi phone feels like an industrial device. It is very large and reminds me of a Symbol scanner. I suspect it is intended for vertical market applications rather than general use. This is not something you put in your pocket and forget its there. It felt reasonably solid though quite plastic. The software was very flaky on the early version I saw.
    Way too big to ever see the light of day as a mass consumer device. MAYbe as a vertical, industrial thing, but I would say that those new Symbol VOIP/Wi-Fi phone things will take off in that market before this beast ever does.

I think this is a classic example of the engineers falling victim to feature bloat - just keep loading it up with more and more features, just because they can, not because they should.
    I was wondering today how big it was. I never saw a single photo comparing it to anything (in contrast there were Handspring photos of the Treo next to a deck of cards).
    They'll probably sign up Yao Ming as their spokesman, and show his big 'ol self using the phone. That way, it won't look so huge.

You can bet they won't have Vern Troyer (Mini Me) in any commercials with it - it's as big as he is. (no disrespect to Vern-man).
    You know, I have been following the Hitachi g1000 for sometime now, I love the new Hitachi. It looks great with attachments that work, memory slot, extra battery, keyboard, 400mhz and with the windows OS.
    But,
    The size is going to kill it, thats why I am going to go with the Samsung SPH-i700, and I would much rather have the keyboard.. Its going to be tough typing emails with the styles !
    The 2 products should be out any day now ...
    I agree with Kurt. I would really like to see a size comparison with this device and the I700. The Treo next to the deck of cards gave a good idea of the size.

I would really like to see the Hitachi PPC take off, but from the opinions expressed at large, I think the consumer market will opt for the I700 instead. Too bad as popularity determines how many third party applications/hardware will be designed for the device.

I'd really hate to lose my thumbboard, but PPC is starting to look very attractive.
  9.    #9  
    Here's another view of the two new PCS Vision enabled phones that will be offered by Sprint/Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etPhonesPR.asp
    As you can see here, the phone is pretty big.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/image...y/g1000img.jpg
    good grief! some folks on here complain that the treo is big. the treo is positively petite compared to that!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by gibby
    You know, I have been following the Hitachi g1000 for sometime now, I love the new Hitachi. It looks great with attachments that work, memory slot, extra battery, keyboard, 400mhz and with the windows OS.
    But,
    The size is going to kill it, thats why I am going to go with the Samsung SPH-i700, and I would much rather have the keyboard.. Its going to be tough typing emails with the styles !
    The 2 products should be out any day now ...
    The I700 has already been released by Verizon. I got a chance to play with one at my local Verizon store the other day. Its very impressive, great screen, lots of functionality, relatively thin but still very much on the large size. In fact, it is almost identical in size to the XDA (T-Mobile PPC PE device) and while a lot of people will purchase the device, just as many (if not more) will not because of its size. Since the g1000 is even bigger than the I700, I doubt it will be even half as popular as the I700.

I have heard rumors that the I700 has been delayed for release by Sprint until August (possibly to upgrade the OS to PPC 2003). Previously, Sprint had committed to releasing the device (along with the g1000) by June 30th. I guess we'll see soon enough though...