1.    #1  
    I am finding the built-in Phonebook application good but for a few things

1) It refuses to place a "bookmark" or other sort of place holder, something which OTHER built-in applications do without a problem, and which add-ons typically do. So, if I call someone, and then need to update my contact information for that same indivual, I have to re-enter the name so Phonebook will search for that same entry. A nuisance, since I had to do that to place the call. Same if I just switch from Phonebook to Datebook5 or other application and back. My place is lost.

2) While the Phone Number fields correctly set the keyboard to enter numeric ("blue key") data by default, the ZIP code field dos not.

3) Some characters, which represent valid names or organizations listed in my Phonebook cannot be entered in the "Lookup by typing" dialog. Instead, they force the phone to dial at whatever entry was just reached.

Is there a Datebook5-like alternative to Phonebook? Thanks.
    Hi There,

I never quite found an app to replace the address book properly, but then I came across TakePhone. First Address book replacement that I bought. Great product, give it a go. There is currently a Beta out.

Beta Page

Also, there have been a few threads on it:

Thread 1

And Thread 2

Hope that helps.
    >> 2) While the Phone Number fields correctly set the keyboard to enter numeric ("blue key") data by default, the ZIP code field dos not.

You are obviously an American.

Canadian zip codes are not completely numerical. Therefore, the choice was correct to not automatically assume zip codes are numbers.
  4.    #4  
    Quite helpful, thank you. Doesn't appear to resolve my complaint about the "place marker," AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $as$ $the$ $post$-$dial$ $scenario$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $to$ $return$ $to$ $the$ $default$ $Phonebook$. $But$, $a$ $nice$ $sounding$ $bit$ $of$ $software$.

Originally posted by Splezunk
    Hi There,

I never quite found an app to replace the address book properly, but then I came across TakePhone.
    Originally posted by Michael_L
    Quite helpful, thank you. Doesn't appear to resolve my complaint about the "place marker," AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $as$ $the$ $post$-$dial$ $scenario$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $to$ $return$ $to$ $the$ $default$ $Phonebook$. $But$, $a$ $nice$ $sounding$ $bit$ $of$ $software$.

Hi,

Sorry - but the s/w interface to dial does not allow me to return.
    However - if you press the "Phone" button again to launch TAKEphONE, you will see your last search selected, and you can enter it to dial...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  6.    #6  
    Quite right, and a reasonable choice. But, it would be nice had they made the default USER-DEFINED. All in all, a relative minior quibble, as most of the time I enter addresses using the Palm Desktop.

[QUOTECanadian zip codes are not completely numerical. Therefore, the choice was correct to not automatically assume zip codes are numbers. [/QUOTE]
  7.    #7  
    Returning to the initial entry after dialing is not as crucial, in my use, as having the application remain "open" to the last viewed field. For example, if I open Memo to a particular item, switch to Datebook5 and back, I'm at least looking at the same Memo, still opened (though my cursor position is not retained). From what you say, I gather that the Phonebook interface will simply not permit this, whether after dialing or otherwise? Or, will TAKEphOne allow me to open to the "Note" field, switch to DateBook5 and then return to the "Note" field in TAKEphONE, assmuing that I do not dial?

Thanks.

Originally posted by TAKEphONE

Hi,

Sorry - but the s/w interface to dial does not allow me to return.
    However - if you press the "Phone" button again to launch TAKEphONE, you will see your last search selected, and you can enter it to dial...
    Originally posted by Michael_L
    Returning to the initial entry after dialing is not as crucial, in my use, as having the application remain "open" to the last viewed field. For example, if I open Memo to a particular item, switch to Datebook5 and back, I'm at least looking at the same Memo, still opened (though my cursor position is not retained). From what you say, I gather that the Phonebook interface will simply not permit this, whether after dialing or otherwise? Or, will TAKEphOne allow me to open to the "Note" field, switch to DateBook5 and then return to the "Note" field in TAKEphONE, assmuing that I do not dial?

Thanks.

I admit it's a matter of personal preference (maybe I should make it an option) - I find that (unlike when using the Memo app) more often than not when I return to TAKEphONE I do it to dial another contact, so to return to the prev one will force me to do additional actions.

The way it's implemented now, you need to press once (to launch TAKEphONE), and once again to enter the prev contact.

Please try the s/w and tell me what you think...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com