Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been the owner of a Treo300 for a little over a month and started having problems sending email last week.

When when I compose a new message, or respond to a message, and choose send from the menu, I get the following messages:

finding server address
    connected negotiating
    addressing 1
    error 1

Errors sending 1 message. See messages marked with "E" in Out mailbox.

An address has error:
    5.7.1 500 Not Allowed :
    [and the address I was mailing to]
    logging in

I have no problems logging in and checking my email from eudora. I've call the Sprint a number of times about this and have been told a variety of things, including the info that a server upgrade was done around May 15th 2003 and things will be down for a few days.

I'm using pop.sprintpcs.com as the incomming POP server, and smtp.sprintpcs.com as the outgoing SMTP server.

If anyone as any advise I'd be glad to head it.

Thanks
    -Scott
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    If you would have looked a little down the page you would have seen this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33894

You need to change your outgoing mail to "you"@sprintpcs.com.

That should fix it. 8>)

You can keep your "reply to" settings the same.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Mine stopped working about a month or so ago as well.

It turned out Sprint would no longer allow email to go out through their servers unless you use your sprint email address as the "from" address.

So I just reply to mail making sure my sprintpcs account is chosen when using the treo.

Hope this helps,

Cluemeister
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Uh yea pretty much what I said.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I'm in a similar boat, but the Sprint guys were not helpful, and our own IT people said they don't support handhelds, so I am now stuck (I got this thing to do email!).

I can download from from our school's (I'm a prof) pop address, but not send out. When I try and use the sprint account to send out, I get an error message. I looked below and tried that, but I am an old guy who is not that savvy... can anyboduy help walk me through step by step, even via email later?

I'm desperate!
    chap
    Yay! You're confirmation that this used to work means that I wasn't imagining it. So now we know they broke it on May 15, 2003, or perhaps a few weeks earlier. How long until they fix it.. place your bets.

Oh ok, I see the thread mentioned. Well that is what we were also talking about in this thread..

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33825

Well I did my part .. I just sent an email to sprintpcs from the web site.
    Last edited by potatoho; 05/22/2003 at 09:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by chapclark
    I'm in a similar boat, but the Sprint guys were not helpful, and our own IT people said they don't support handhelds, so I am now stuck (I got this thing to do email!).

I can download from from our school's (I'm a prof) pop address, but not send out. When I try and use the sprint account to send out, I get an error message. I looked below and tried that, but I am an old guy who is not that savvy... can anyboduy help walk me through step by step, even via email later?

I'm desperate!

Chap what e-mail program are you using?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Yay! You're confirmation that this used to work means that I wasn't imagining it. So now we know they broke it on May 15, 2003, or perhaps a few weeks earlier. How long until they fix it.. place your bets.

Oh ok, I see the thread mentioned. Well that is what we were also talking about in this thread..

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=33825

Well I did my part .. I just sent an email to sprintpcs from the web site.
    I don't think they broke it. They did it on purpose.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Originally posted by utey
    I don't think they broke it. They did it on purpose.
    I presume that's what they'll tell me. Though I don't really understand. I mean it's already using smtp-auth so it's not a spam thing. I'm thinking the only reason is to promote more use of their sprintpcs.com mailboxes. Assuming people don't change their reply-to addresses.
    I think other big ISPs do the same (I've heard Verizon does block mail "from" other domains too) though I'm a bit surprised. they then don't have to support as much incoming mail.
    Chick Foxgrover
    They shouldn't have it set the way they do, it is illogical. They went to the trouble of implementing smtp-auth to allow only their customers to use smtp.sprintpcs.com as a relay. To restrict the from-address at that point is meaningless, because it only makes their customers mad.

I got a response back from my email. It is equally illogical, telling me that because it is a technical issue I have to call *2 on my phone. Yeah right, that'll make things easier trying to explain smtp-auth over the phone rather than via email.

The worst part is that I can't correspond to AOL users because they have a rule that restricts mail from dynamic dns IPs, so my normal procedure of using my own SMTP won't work from here.
    So where are we on this problem? I just rebuilt my Treo and Eudora won't send at all using Sprint. Yet, I installed Snapper and it worked immediately. Is it time to buy Snapper?
    I dunno if this will work for all you guys but I have a possible solution that will fix the problem of which email address to respond to using "username@sprintpcs.com" in the send portion...

Go to your e-mail on the pcs page, click "Settings & Preferences" then click "Setup". The 4th or 5th line down says "Recipients of your email will reply to this email address:" Fill that space with your email address that you want people to use and when they reply they will go to your prefered address.

Now when you use smtp.sprintpcs.com, your return address will be the one you specify and not "username@sprintpcs.com." I've found that this way I can continue using the Sprint smtp servers w/o needing to convert my email addresses....

Anyhoo, I hope that help some folk here if anything else. Unfortunately this only works for ONE return address, and thus if you rely on multiple email accounts then it wouldn't be a preferrable solution...

Edit: I just had a thought and was wondering if this was possible: What about settin up up mutliple sprintpcs.com email accounts? That way one could use the various sprint mail accounts to access the smtp servers and have different "reply" email addresses for each one? Thus, can you have more than one sprint email address? Is this possible?

Thanks...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/26/2003 at 05:33 PM.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Go to your e-mail on the pcs page, click "Settings & Preferences" then click "Setup". The 4th or 5th line down says "Recipients of your email will reply to this email address:" Fill that space with your email address that you want people to use and when they reply they will go to your prefered address.
    I just tried it but it didn't change anything. I believe that setting is only for when you are using the web site to compose mail.

So as far as I know, changing the Reply-To (assuming your email client supports it, and/or your recipients find it acceptable -- both neg for me) is still the only way to use smtp.sprintpcs.com.

I just tried it but it didn't change anything. I believe that setting is only for when you are using the web site to compose mail.

So as far as I know, changing the Reply-To (assuming your email client supports it, and/or your recipients find it acceptable -- both neg for me) is still the only way to use smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    DAMNED!!! You're right! *sigh* I 1st tired it from the SprintPCS email client and I thought it would work via Treo as well... Hmm... I guess I'm gonna have to get something like Fastmail afterall. ARRRR!! This is really getting me pissed off now! I'm paying $140+ bucks/month to Sprint (like many people here) and they can't even provide a decent friggin smtp server! Sheeesh! What a load of *#%^!!!!
    Can someone tell me if this makes sense? I got Eudora to work, but had to make 2 Sprint Accounts.

Account 1 to receive

Settings:

Username:
    myname@sprintpcs.com

Incoming Server
    pop.sprintpcs.com

Outgoing Server
    sprintpcs.com

Account 2 to send (I set this as the default account to reply)

Username:
    myname@sprintpcs.com

Incoming Server
    sprintpcs.com

Outgoing Server
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

I don't know why this works, but it does. The only drawback is I'd prefer a reply address to a different account and that doesn't work.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    So where are we on this problem? I just rebuilt my Treo and Eudora won't send at all using Sprint. Yet, I installed Snapper and it worked immediately. Is it time to buy Snapper?
    I wondered why I could no longer reply to mail I rec'd on my Treo!

But now I attempted to follow the instructions posted above for Snappermail but for my Eudora (Palm) setup and ended up screwing it up. Fortunately, I had only created a new account, so I deleted it.

Could someone please post step-by-step how to create a new account on Eudora which will conform with Sprint's new requirements?

Thanks.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    The worst part is that I can't correspond to AOL users because they have a rule that restricts mail from dynamic dns IPs, so my normal procedure of using my own SMTP won't work from here.
    Actually I found a simple configuration option to fix my AOL problem. I use qmail, so I added some entries in smtproutes which will forward the AOL mail through my roadrunner smtp. That solves my main issue.

Also, I'm not too comfortable with those fastmail.fm quotas. Seem pretty low, if you add up how they count your messages and bandwidth. It's both in and out, you only get 80MB/month bandwidth for the $15 account. So if you get 2MB of mail per day, that's 2MB in and 2MB out, which is 4MB/day = 120MB/month.

http://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastmai...ricingtbl.html
    If your home PC has an always-on connection to the internet you can run an smtp relay server.

I use Mercury, a free mail server/smtp relay that runs under Windows, is very stable and takes up very little resources:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

BTW, I use it as an email server, I find it's nice to have total control over my email.

(For those who are more technically inclined, I'd recommend a Unix server so you can use Harkless's Perl scripts, heh.)
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Originally posted by NateS

. . .
    Could someone please post step-by-step how to create a new account on Eudora which will conform with Sprint's new requirements?

Thanks.

Regards,

NateS
    Well,

I made progress with this new account setup on Eudora:

Incoming Server
    pop.sprintpcs.com

Outgoing Server
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

This enables me to send and receive email off both my sprint email account and my standard ISP.

But I am still missing something: What do I have to do to reply to emails rec'd on my Treo but which were addressed to my standard ISP? My replies still get rejected and can't be sent from my Treo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast