1.    #1  
    I took my treo out in the sun today for the first time, and for some reason I could not see the screen! I guess it is because the contrast of the screen is too bright. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to adjust the screen contrast for the sun? Thanks!
    unfortunately this issue has been discussed on here numerous times, and the general consensus is, move to the shade to see the screen...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    This isn't a problem inherent to the Treo300. This is a deficiency of all current technology color screens used by PDA's and portable phones.
    Geeze, be easy on the treo already. I bet if you took a high quality computer monitor or a tv out and placed it face up towards the sun, the picture would wash out just like the treo.
  5.    #5  
    Sure but a high quality computer monitor and a TV aren't made to be used in the sun.. a Treo is a cell phone, and therefore people will use it when they are outdoors, and therefore it should be able to be used in the sun like most other cell phones!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I actually find that direct sunlight isn't the biggest problem.
    There's an angle I can hold it where it gets direct sunlight on the screen and it shows up much like an LCD watch, just black and white.

What I find imposssible is when it's overcast, and the whole sky is light, and the problem isn't so much that the screen is washed out, but that it reflects *everything* and all I can see are the reflections. Usually ends up being a reflection of my own face that I see, because the pale light over the overcast sky lights up my face. If I can find something very dark colored to orient it toward I can occasionally get around the problem.

Practically speaking, the only color, backlit, LCD devices that seem to handle this problem do so by having a light collector that increases the backlighting with natural light. (some digital cameras do this). I think we're a ways off from that.

ian
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    This isn't a problem inherent to the Treo300. This is a deficiency of all current technology color screens used by PDA's and portable phones.
    Actually that is not accurate. This is a problem is inherent only in the type of screen technology used by Handspring in the Treo itself and not indicative of all pda/mobiles. If you don't beleive me, then pick up a Zire-71 or h1910 lately and look for yourself! The reason the treo absolutely sucks in sunlight is b/c it uses an outdated type of transmissive TFT screen. Transmissive screens typically use an artificial light source, called a backlight, that sits in back of the LCD. These work very well in normal and dim lighting, but are difficult to read outdoors, especially on sunny days, because the natural light from the sun washes out the light from the backlight. The solution is to use other types of technologies like reflective or transflective screens.

Without going into too much detail, reflective screens basically use external light in the form of ambient light or front-lighting system. Thus reflective screens are excellent outdoors but are not as bright as backlit transmissive screens. Their big advantage is lower power consumption. Transflective screen are both backlit and reflective. Thus they use a translucent reflective backing that reflect some ambient light, but can also allow some backlighting to pass through. As a result transflective screen are good outdoors and brighter than reflective screen indoors... the best of both worlds! All pdas/mobile should have transflective screen IMHO or their simply crap IMNSHO.

The problem is that the Treo is so damned old in technology terms (it was 1st released way back in early 2002) that it was designed with transmissive screens only. The new Treo coming this fall better have a transflective screen or else I absolutely will be looking for a different device to upgrade...

Also, here are some pics to compare the differences between screen types. The T90 is transmissive, T|T is reflecitve while Z71, T|C and h1910 are all transflective:

http://www.hpc.ru/lib/arts/1920/tc2.jpg
    http://www.brighthand.com/images/ipaq1910_tungsten.jpg
    http://www.hvlien.com/z71/pdas.jpg

P.S. I seriously recommend reading this article published by brighthand for anyone wanting to understand the various types of screen technologies...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

The new Treo coming this fall better have a transflective screen or else I absolutely will be looking for a different device to upgrade...
    From your keyboard to Jeff/Ed/Donna's ears.

I want a couple of things included in the new treo, but I need a screen that is readable in daylight.

Would they have been better off going reflective if it was available at the time? Assuming it wasn't cost prohibitive.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.