1.    #1  
    I just activated my Treo 300 today and it is great. After waiting six hours I started to explore the different features and I ran into some snags with "SMS."

First, I had a friend send me a text message and it showed up in shortmail on the PCS.com website, but I couldn't access it on my Treo (using SMS.) Then I open up blazer, thinking I had to connect to the web to get the mail (like I used to with the wireless web) but under messaging all I had was PCS business connection.

So I did some searching on this forum and found out about Treo300SMS. I downloaded it, and sent messages to two friends. They both recieved them, but when they replied I did not recieve the replies on my Treo. Once again, I logged into the PCS site and saw the messages there. Does anyone have any idea why they would not be showing up in "SMS" on my Treo? Also, is there typically a notification (sound or something) when you have Treo300SMS installed and you recieve a new text message from someone?

I have searched these forums forever - can anyone help? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    First, go to Sprint's main page and click on the link to send a text message. Use the resulting window to send yourself a test message. If that gives an error, your problem is on Sprint's end. If the test comes through fine, you should attempt to re-authenticate through the Treo300SMS app. If both of these things go OK, and you're still having trouble, you should send an e-mail to support@pdaapps.com.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for writing back to me! I went to the sprint home page and tried to send myself a message and got:

Error

One of the message recipients does not subscribe to this messaging service

So I called Sprint PCS and they said that since I just activated today it take 15 hours plus for the full pcs vision - with mesaging - to be provisioned. The tech suggested I try it again in the morning, and if I still cannot recieve my text messages to call back and they will help me fix it. But he also said that in the morning I should be able to respond to text messages - which I know from reading this forum is impossible without Treo300SMS. Anyway I will wait until the morning and see if it is better.

In the meantime - another question. When you first activated your phone and went to blazer-->home-->messaging folder, what did you see? I only see PCS business connection but I was told I should see Yahoo! Messenger and a number of other messaging sites (including PCS mail)? I just want to know if it is normal to only see the Biz Connection under messaging.
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by ruvitz

<snip>

In the meantime - another question. When you first activated your phone and went to blazer-->home-->messaging folder, what did you see? I only see PCS business connection but I was told I should see Yahoo! Messenger and a number of other messaging sites (including PCS mail)? I just want to know if it is normal to only see the Biz Connection under messaging.
    Thanks!
    What you see is what you get. The Treo doesn't get all of the Vision services.
  5.    #5  
    Is that something inherent in the treo device, or something that sprint can fix if it updates its service?
    This seems to depend on who you ask.

In my opinion, it would be very easy for Sprint to make a Short Mail/SMS page for the Treo/Blazer browser, considering they already do it with a regular web page for regular web browsers, and a WAP page for older phones (and coding WAP is a lot harder than coding a simplified HTML web page is).

However Sprint has made it known that they don't intend to provide that level of functionality to the Treo, which is why the requirement of Treo300SMS to be able to do simple text messaging exists.

They see the primary audience that uses the Treo as one that wants EMAIL communication and a richer web browser, not simple text messaging. One has to wonder where their mind is in thinking this, since text messaging/SMS/Short Mail/whatever you want to call it seems to be the current hot thing.

Oh well.

- Mike
    had same prob ages ago...sprint convigured vision plan wrong with my esn or user name...fiasco...they could never get it staight (tier 2)...replaced it and the set up was fine