1.    #1  
    I have slowly been leaning towards a PDA/Phone combo, unfortunately for me my current carrier (Verizon) only has the Kyocera and it is verrrry expensive (and no keyboard).

And today I stumbled on the Amazon deal...$150 with rebates. And I've got 2 hours left to decide....

I switched from Palm to PPC 2 years ago, but I have never fully used the extended functions...Word/Excel on a PPC? I'm not a phone junkie, and I love the idea of only carrying one device.

I'm actually willing to take a $$ hit to drop Verizon, but are there any true downsides I should know about? I know the battery life is not great, but frankly my Audiovox 9500 has awful battery life.

My intended uses:

Standard PDA (Outlook?)
    Vindigo (addicted for a long time...)
    Verichat (to keep track of my kids while traveling <grin>.
    Regular phone
    Checking email while on the road

Oh, and do folks recommend the $4/month replacement deal from Sprint?

Any input would be appreciated!

JT
    All the current TREO models have been discontinued by Handspring, though still available. Unless you are in a rush you might want to wait for the NEXT one or choose a different brand entirely if you do not want to get an obsolete-at-purchase-time communicator.
  3.    #3  
    Hi SV,

Yeah, I had noticed all the rumbling about new models (both Treo and PPC). Even Verizon (for once) is talking about new phones.

As a dedicated "gadgeteer" however, I have a real aversion to buying new models of *anything*. It seems that the first revisions of many new products are closer to betas than prime time and given that this will be a crucial item for me it seemed more prudent to stick with the more mature 300. Not to mention that I don't want to pay the extra $$ for the new versions.

I'm also trying to "simplify" things, I have learned that I don't tend to take advantage of many of the whiz-bang aspects of my PPC.

Now with my computer and camera equipment it's a different story.

In any case, Microcenter lists the Treo 300 for $399 (without Sprint rebate), I'll see if Best Buy or CC will pricematch and get some extended protection as well.

Thanks,

JT
    Well, Amazon.com has once again extended the rebate... except this time the rebate is $50 less (so you'll pay $50 more). In other words, you can still get the Sprint Treo 300 from amazon.com for $199.
  5.    #5  
    Hi scotty,

That's a good point, I actually checked the next day out of curiousity and saw the $199 deal.

I was actually successful at getting circuit city to pricematch our local microcenter price of $399 so after the Sprint reate the final cost will be $200 which I think is a good deal. Plus with circuit city their "protection" warranty has been useful in the past for trade-ups.

The best would have been to get a local Sprint office to Pricematch but they're a little cranky around here with that.

So now I have to start my "re-conversion" to Palm, browsing PalmGear was a real blast from the past and I had forgotten how much I liked the Palm-oriented medical apps.

This weekend's goal: Email!

JT