1.    #1  
    I say that because I bought one of the first Treo 180's. Because of hard gear lust I was forced to get a VoiceStream/T-mobile line to go with it (I have had a Sprint line for 7 years) So, despite it's sexy body it was just labor...Between it's misrable battery life, murky screen & the &$#?& Voicestream service... I returned it! Since then, I have been on a brilliant Color LG phone for cell and a 705 for pda... But really, I have given up on PDA all together.
    Jump to May 13th... I had a relapse and broke down and moved mountains (CC ESP Program) and bought one of the few remaining 300s. Hot lust all over again!!!! except this time she was all there!!!! We have been at it for 48 hours!!!

GENERAL- 2 days is a bit early to report but that's how enthused I am!!! The 300 simply rocks!!!

CONSTRUCTION- The biggest part of my research and lust catalyst has been this forum. I have read all the negative and I am sure most of it's true but my unit came out of the box with solid hinges & buttons and an overall finish that is truely well done. Now, a couple of drops will put an end to that fit & finish... it's definitely not a unit for a construction foreman. However, if you spend most of your time behind a Titanium PowerBook this unit will do fine. DO GET REPLACEMENT PROTECTION FROM A THIRD PARTY DEALER ie- CC or BB. They give you a new unit or full value towards a replacement.

SCREEN- the color works...it is soft... it's not great but it it does fine and the touch screen works great... no delays, mi****s, etc...

KEYBOARD- i first used a keyboard when I owned a RIM (MOTIENT) email unit. I loved it then and I love it now. While it does not feel as sturdy as the RIM keyboard it works GREAT and the backlighting is AWESOME.

BATTERY- so far its good! compared to the 180 it is night and day and the 180 was B/W. In fact the battery life is comparable to the new color phones (my LG). Note- what no one talks about when describing battery life is the countless time spent PDAing around. Time flies when you are entering all kinds of info with the color screen on. But all that being said, of course it needs more battery life!

FUNCTION- nothing in it's class compares... it just works great! the SW is simple and understated... in a communicator less is more!

SERVICE- AWESOME!!!! I was worried about a single band phone... whats to worry about??? Man, VS/T-Mobile was really bad!!! So, despites SPRINT's traditional "Worst Customer Service in th Industry Award" It simply has blown me away!!!! Why, one word -DATA!!! What an on-line experience...INCREDIBLE! However, Blazer is not all that.

WOW... i am exshausted...

OVERALL- After reading almost every review I have come to the conclusion that the product has now matured and and the latest and what seems to be the final version of the unit has just come together. It is clear that I love the unit and am so excited to see and own the next generation which is said to be introduced in the next several months. While I love the superior engineering & finish on the Japan/Korea products (I owned the original Kyocera SmartPhone)they just lack what the TREO has... a little something special. I truely believe it is the "understated cell/pda of the year"

VERY IMPORTANT- Do not go crazy installing Palm software!!! This what I think is at the root of most bad reviews reporting crashes. Install one at a time test it, debug it, etc... if you don't like it delete it.
    Last edited by reelestates; 05/16/2003 at 11:11 AM.
    That's exactly how I feel about my Treo. It's an amazing device!

Looking forward to the new Treo so I can give this one to my wife.

Cluemeister
    Well Said!!
    I'm a picky guy when it comes to gadgets, because I use them a lot. I really am hard pressed to think of anything I would change about the treo, outside of the obvious (play music, digital cam, palm os 5, sd card). But no device has it all. The Treo comes as close as I think possible to a perfect form factor, functionality, capability, flexibility, etc). I use it all the time and carry it everywhere. I use the Nutshell case with the belt clip. I cut off the velcro strap that goes over the top and this case works better than any IMO, and looks sleek and not bulky. It never falls off either. I think people will continue to slowly open their minds to having a device like this and more and more people will be buying them. I'm only afraid that the new Treo may change the form factor. I hope not. Please keep the flip top, size, placement of things, Handspring. Whatever they do, I think Handspring is one of those companies that have people who really know what works and they don't cut corners to produce a product that they would use themselves. As someone else said, my Treo is my brain. That's pretty close. I use some terrific palm apps that keep lots of different things at my fingertips. I have a friend who has been through various latest pocket pc devices and he is always so frustrated with having to reset all the time. I think Palm OS is great for handhelds, because it is so solid and has a ton of apps available, on the cheap $ too.
    As much as I love my Treo, the one thing Handspring must fix in the next version is build quality. A company cannot make money if they must continually replace poor-quality products. There are enough people on this board who are on their 3rd+ Treo to make me think it's not an isolated problem.

Personally, I'm on #2 and trying to keep from going for #3 for fear of having more/different problems with a replacement unit.

Nonetheless, I'd fight anyone who tried to take it away from me.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    As much as I love my Treo, the one thing Handspring must fix in the next version is build quality. A company cannot make money if they must continually replace poor-quality products. There are enough people on this board who are on their 3rd+ Treo to make me think it's not an isolated problem.

Personally, I'm on #2 and trying to keep from going for #3 for fear of having more/different problems with a replacement unit.

Nonetheless, I'd fight anyone who tried to take it away from me.

Geoffrey
    I love mine as well, and I think it is close to an idea phone, BUT

it is sure showing its age compared to the amazing Palm OS 5.2 devices coming out now. I'm very close to buying a Tungsten C with its 64mb of RAM and 400mhz processor along with double res screen to use as my main palm in the ER and then continue to use the Treo for mobile mail away from 802.11b sites and such...

That speed is just TOO tempting!