1.    #1  
    I've been reading a lot of reviews on the Treo 90, and a number of people indicate that their stylus is very loose, and falls out when they turn the unit upside down. True? This concerns me, as I've had a Visor Deluxe, and the case is nothing short of cheap. I had one swapped out because it developed cracks, and the battery door on the replacement wore out shortly thereafter (the hinge thingy cracked).

Also, do you find that the window on the flip cover gets scuffed up or scratched? It seems like this would be a problem after carrying it around in your pocket. Thanks,

--sdg

P.S. These things are now EOL. Any idea what/when the replacements will be?
  2. AMB
    The stylus issue is not a problem for all Treo 90s, just a lucky few. I have a loose stylus and put a piece of tape around the top of it to make the stylus just a hair thicker...problem solved.

If you carry the Treo in your pocket the outer window will get scuffed. Some people put a screen protector on it and then just change the protector as necessary. I stopped carrying it in my pocket...got a Brookstone belt clip case for $15. It barely adds any size to the treo and allows for easier access when sitting.
  3.    #3  
    Are the covers replaceable if it gets especially dinged up?

What about a *really* thin hard case? Kind of like the aluminum cases for the m500/505/515? Those don't really add any bulk, but are great for protecting you PDA.
    Last edited by somedumbguy; 05/14/2003 at 08:04 AM.
  4. AMB
    The covers are removeable. I haven't looked into replacements but if handspring will sell you just a cover then I don't see why not.

I haven't found a slim & hard case that is small enough for the Treo. The brookstone case adds a good amount of padding and impact protection. I have dropped the Treo in this case and have had no damage...after tons of research I found it to be the cheapest and best protection for the Treo 90 if you don't want to add bulk.
  5.    #5  
    Do you have a link, or item name or number for the Brookstone case? Is it designed specifically for the Treo? Also, how is it secured into the case? Thanks!
  6. AMB
    The Brookstone case is designed for the smaller cell phones but it has elastic sides that allow it to conform to the shape of the Treo and fits like a glove. Just slide it in.

It looks like Brookstone has some new case models. Mine looks like this one but does not have a swivel clip:
    Brookstone sku # 370189
    The other option is Brookstone sku # 305748 which has less elastic on the sides so it may fit differently.

The dimensions of my case are 2.25 inches by 4.5 inches without the Treo in it. With the Treo it becomes 3 inches by 4.5 inches due to the side elastic.
    Originally posted by somedumbguy
    I've been reading a lot of reviews on the Treo 90, and a number of people indicate that their stylus is very loose, and falls out when they turn the unit upside down. True? This concerns me, as I've had a Visor Deluxe, and the case is nothing short of cheap. I had one swapped out because it developed cracks, and the battery door on the replacement wore out shortly thereafter (the hinge thingy cracked).

Also, do you find that the window on the flip cover gets scuffed up or scratched? It seems like this would be a problem after carrying it around in your pocket. Thanks,

--sdg

P.S. These things are now EOL. Any idea what/when the replacements will be?
    There isn't going ot be a replacement, sadly, as Handspring has decided to get completely out of the organizer business and focus solely on smartphones. I'm still hoping they'll reconsider.

Also, the stylus problem is indeed a fairly small problem, but Handspring recognizes is and WILL exchange the unit for you at no cost. So, should you decide to buy one, you don't necessarily have to let that stop you.

And though I realize people love their cases, please bear in mind that the 90 can really take a licking and keep on ticking, as many threads all over the internet have noted. Even though it's in a simple plastic case, for some reason the thing can take a good pounding, so it's great for those who are concerned with the "fragile" state of PDA's!
  8. AMB
    Yes, Handspring will replace a unit if it has the stylus problem but after going thru 3 replacements for dead screens I decided I could live with a loose stylus. I've had the same piece of tape on it for 6 months and have never had a problem...I don't even notice it.

The Treo's body is very strong without a case...I dropped mine down the (carpeted) stairs this morning and all is well. And no, the stylus did not fall out.
    Went through 3 90s with the stylus problem. When I told the HS rep on the phone that it was "fun getting a new 90 every month", they sent me one with a tight stylus holder. 8 months later it's working fine.
  10. AMB
    Well all the talk about the indestructable Treo 90 came back to haunt me!

I had the Treo clipped to my belt while sitting on the floor... leaned back and applied too much pressure to it and now I have a damaged screen.

AMB,

Sorry to hear. Email handspring and tell them the broken screen is a stylus problem. They poke out the screens from the inside of the unit all the time.

Kevin
    Originally posted by AMB
    Well all the talk about the indestructable Treo 90 came back to haunt me!

I had the Treo clipped to my belt while sitting on the floor... leaned back and applied too much pressure to it and now I have a damaged screen.

I don't think anyone ever used the term "indestructable;" heaven knows these things in general are fragile as all get-out. I'm not surprised that a little pressure from sitting could crack the screen, either. It's happened before.

That being said, most would agree that the 90 can take a lot of punishment for a handheld. I've dropped mine a bunch of times, and I've never had a problem with it, wheras the few other handhelds that I've dropped before have been nearly destroyed by the experience. To me, that makes the Treo a tough cookie!

Sorry to hear about your screen, though!