1.    #1  
    what is the best way to purchase if you are an existing sprint customer? To get the best value...

Thanks
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Wait until your contracted tiem has run, and you are going month to month. Call and threaten to leave. The CSR will connect you with the Sprint retension department, who have the powever to give you all sorts of plans, promotions, and incentives to stay that a CSR does not have access to.

To see what retension packages people have gotten most recently, go to www.sprintusers.com.
    Although, there are plans on the website that the retention people can't offer. So, shop their services and competitors then call retention and see what they come up with.

*IF* the FCC finally forces number portability on the mobile industry my guess is the retention efforts will get a whole lot better.

Number portability is due to be enacted this Fall. But Sprint is ahead of the Game by offering only certian CMDA friendly phones that may or may no be "unlocked" to go with another carrier...
    They're just tech Toys Folks, There IS a higher power.
    Offering up advice on retention plans doesn't answer the question posed, and leads to higher prices for everyone else(someone has to pay to ensure profitiblity in the wireless industry, and the company's themselves will go under if they continue to.)

Retention plans are intended to keep good customers who've had bad experiences, not to be abused to the point that they won't be offered anymore. This suggestion also fails to answer the original poster's question.

How long have you been with Sprint? Over 12 months? Have you been under contract for 9 months? If not, what did you get to sign that last contract? Go to a Sprint store in your area (not a reseller) and ask them what they can do for you. Let them know what you want in a phone, and if you qualify for any instant rebates by signing another contract.

There are deals for existing customers who qualify, and you don't have to try to 'cheat' the system to get them.
    Tribal,

Why shouldn't you call retention? Doesn't the customer have the right to get the best deal possible (which isn't always the lowest price?) Why waste time by going to the store if you can get a lower price from another department at Sprint?

Don't you think that Sprint would tell their retention people to not accept calls from certain customers if they didn't want them to?

Should consumers be concerned if Sprint is goofy enough to offer contracts at prices that would cause them to lose money?

In my post I didn't suggest anyone lie, I suggested the website and the retention department as the two places where I've found the best deals to be had. The Sprint stores have, for me, been the absolute worst place for anything to do with Sprint service including purchasing phones, phone service, wireless service, activation...and, in fact, most times they end up calling the same number that I could have called in the first place.

Ken
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    Offering up advice on retention plans doesn't answer the question posed, and leads to higher prices for everyone else(someone has to pay to ensure profitiblity in the wireless industry, and the company's themselves will go under if they continue to.)

Retention plans are intended to keep good customers who've had bad experiences, not to be abused to the point that they won't be offered anymore. This suggestion also fails to answer the original poster's question.

How long have you been with Sprint? Over 12 months? Have you been under contract for 9 months? If not, what did you get to sign that last contract? Go to a Sprint store in your area (not a reseller) and ask them what they can do for you. Let them know what you want in a phone, and if you qualify for any instant rebates by signing another contract.

There are deals for existing customers who qualify, and you don't have to try to 'cheat' the system to get them.
    Sanctimonious drivel like the above always gets my blood boiling

1) the original post requested how to get the best deal on a phone for an existing customer. In fact, the retention department will give you a service credit equivalent to the value of the phone you wish to purchase up to approx $200, assuming you ahve been a customer for any reasonable period of time

2) Remind me again, do you pay MSRP when you go to buy a new car? The answer is of course you don't, and negotiating is clearly the best negotiators are those who collect ALL of the information prior to setting foot in the dealership. Of course the dealer would love for you to pay list price, but no one empowered with information lets themselves get ripped off.

Sprint's RETENSION department is to RETAIN customers. Clearly they don't ADVERTIZE the existence of the department, so it is up to consumers to learn of such a back-channel through just such bulletin-boards as TreoCentral or SprintUsers.com. There was no fraud, lying, or cheating suggested in my post. The best way to get a good usage plan and credit to the purchase of a new phone is to threaten to leave. If you are dissatisfied, and not contractually bound to Sprint, that is your RIGHT, and there is nothing fraudulent about it.

3) Sprint, and the entire wireless industry, has concluded that it is far more expensive to lure new customers from other carriers than to retain their existing customers. Asking them to cut you a good deal is good for you and good for them.. Please do not be dissuaded from asking so we can ensure the continued existence of the wireless industry. I do not recall them offering to give us a share of their profits, so if their bottom line suffers a tad during this economic down turn, I do not feel obliged to give them one cent more than is absolutely necessary. They clearly have the option of raising prices, and we have the option switching carriers. Don't you dare feel sorry for Sprint, and donít you dare pay one cent more than you have to, despite what the apologist for the wireless industry might prefer you to do.
    Now, if the FCC will stop giving the slime mobile phone service providers extensions on the number portability requirement they'll really have to work to retain customers.

I know..I know it'll cost them BILLIONS and BILLIONS to give us that ability...I know I know the technology doesn't exist. Oh, waith small local providers are doing it all the time...oops...don't you hate when that happens?

...ken
    I recently (3 weeks ago) got my Treo 300. I was well worth it! I had to give up my old phone number and get a new one but in return I got $350 in rebates on the unit. I got names and employee numbers of supervisors before I did it just in case I get hasseled.
    Sprint was only offering a standard $50 upgrade incentive. I read the fine print and had a couple of discussions with supervisors about the wording of the rebates and we all agreed that I could keep my account and establish a new phone number to qualify as a new line of service. The "iffy" part was could I keep both numbers, get the unit, keep the second number active for 30 days and then switch the unit to the old number. The rebate from Amazon.com nixed this idea because their wording, which Sprint "encouraged" them to add, stated that the new line had to remain active for a 1 year contract period. I did not want the 1 year contract simply because I may not stay with Sprint at the end of the year depending on what the other carriers do with their new pda phones that are arriving. Customer retention was only willing to match the $200 rebate and not the $150 Amazon rebate.
    So, $200 rebate from Sprint, $150 rebate from Amazon and $50 upgrade incentive from Sprint to get rid of my old Motorola P8767.
    Not bad.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Tribal,
    You must work for Sprint or have some money tied up somehow. Your views are EXXTREMELY BIASED!!!

I can't stand not commenting on your post above. Look, it's called the free market, check into it.
    Originally posted by woofytexan
    I recently (3 weeks ago) got my Treo 300. I was well worth it! I had to give up my old phone number and get a new one but in return I got $350 in rebates on the unit. I got names and employee numbers of supervisors before I did it just in case I get hasseled.
    Sprint was only offering a standard $50 upgrade incentive. I read the fine print and had a couple of discussions with supervisors about the wording of the rebates and we all agreed that I could keep my account and establish a new phone number to qualify as a new line of service. The "iffy" part was could I keep both numbers, get the unit, keep the second number active for 30 days and then switch the unit to the old number. The rebate from Amazon.com nixed this idea because their wording, which Sprint "encouraged" them to add, stated that the new line had to remain active for a 1 year contract period. I did not want the 1 year contract simply because I may not stay with Sprint at the end of the year depending on what the other carriers do with their new pda phones that are arriving. Customer retention was only willing to match the $200 rebate and not the $150 Amazon rebate.
    So, $200 rebate from Sprint, $150 rebate from Amazon and $50 upgrade incentive from Sprint to get rid of my old Motorola P8767.
    Not bad.
    I wish you luck on this deal. I attempted to pull of the same one myself. The Amazon fine print read that you have to activate a new line of service through Amazon and it has to be in your shopping cart when you purchase the phone. Sprint retention (several reps) told me there was no way to keep the old plan I had and receive the $200 Sprint rebate.

The first retention rep I dealt with was very friendly and told me there was no reason I couldn't do what I wanted to do and offered an incentive plan to keep me. I ordered the phone, but before it was shipped, Amazon told me I would not be able to get their rebate because I did not select a service through them. I called Sprint retention back and the first rep I spoke with told me I would have to add a new line of service and keep my old line of service active for 90 days to get the rebate. I basically told her I was frustrated with no one at Sprint singing off of the same sheet of music and she told me she thought I was a thief based on the way I was trying to "manipulate" the system. I said, "No, I am just looking for some of the love you show new customers." She also said they track people who cancel their accounts and sign up for new service to get the rebate and refuse to give them the rebate. I told her that based on the wording of the rebate offer I didn't know how that was possible and to cancel my account at that point.

Got a call back from a much more rational rep who told me he could give me $200 in credits, but I could not get the rebate and keep my old/new retention plan. I told him I still wished to cancel my account at that point.

I have been a loyal Sprint customer for three years and did not have one of the particularly cheap plans to begin with. They let me walk and while I really want the Treo, I am not sure I want to deal with them again. Good luck to whoever tries to accomplish the Sprint/Amazon deal for a $149-199 Treo.