1.    #1  
    any thoughts on this...I am in the market to get a pda and I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to wait for the i700 or the next treo.

Thanks
    I have used Palm & Pocket PC the last 3 years, was waiting for the Samsung i700 or i500 - Until this week. I bought the TREO 300 for 3 main reasons:

1. The price was $199 at Office Max (after $200 Sprint rebate for new line of service). We needed the new line anyways for a teen.

2. The Palm system is simpler & faster. Pocket Informant (Datebook replacement)on the PPC was never faster to open that 4-7 seconds. The PPC screen was bigger, but the battery suffered. I used the MP3 or Multimedia rarely in real life.

3. This 300 is a second generation unit of sorts since the 270 (GSM version) was out for sometime before. Also, the bugs have been mostly worked out on the 300 since it's been out for 9 months. The main complaints seem to be the fragile lid.

So far, (4 days) I think that I might be sticking with this unit & I'm no longer checking on the delayed delivery of the i700 or i500 all day long. I have a working Phone/PDA/Browser in hand NOW...
    They're just tech Toys Folks, There IS a higher power.
    Originally posted by abdm436
    any thoughts on this...I am in the market to get a pda and I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to wait for the i700 or the next treo.

Thanks
    my treo 300's not fancy looking. it's not super fast. the screen's not the crispest out there. it doesn't play mp3's or record sound.

would i buy it again like i did 6 months ago? no doubt.

it's simple and it works and if you can get it for $150 or $200, you can't beat it.
  4.    #4  
    Thats the problem I am an existing sprint customer so I wouldn't be able to get it for any cheaper then $499. Unless anyone knows of some tricks
    The 300 is on "closeout" at many retailers. OfficeMax has them for $399 (without the $200 new activation rebate).
    Or you could ask at a Sprint store if they will match other retailers, or give you the $200 instant rebate off the $499 to purchase another phone. If your off contract or near the end, ask for "customer retention" at the store. They will put you on the direct line in the store & they will offer you a deal. They likely want to move these out before the Samsung i500 comes in soon (which only offers a slightly smaller size & removable battery for $500-$600).
    It never hurts to ask!!!!
    Also, the bugs have been mostly worked out on the 300 since it's been out for 9 months.
    LOL, give it a few more days.

When it wants to it can suck down a full battery in 2 hours.

No doubt, it is a great unit, but it has it fare share of bugs, some more serious than others.

-rob
    If it won't hold a charge anymore, then Sprint has to replace it with another unit or brand within the warranty period or under the "product protection" plan for $4 a month. Sounds relatively safe to me.
    I'm not ready to start nailing the coffin shut on the 300 until there is a compelling reason to do so. The 7135, i500, i700 are all appealing, but I've become accustomed to the thumbpad.

Last weekend I played with the Tungsten C at Frys, then again at CompUSA where I was able to obtain a link to a wifi linksys access point, but it was only ad hoc between two game machines on display.
    David
    If it won't hold a charge anymore, then Sprint has to replace it with another unit or brand within the warranty period or under the "product protection" plan for $4 a month. Sounds relatively safe to me.
    I was referring to the bug that prevents the treo from going into sleep mode when little or no signal is available. Run a search, it has caused significant problems for many of us.

A hot vision connection is another bug that arrises with certain software, aol for example, this will also kill the battery.

Don't get me wrong the treo is great, and I love mine. But you certainly need to learn how to deal with it.

-rob
    Thanks for being reasonable, and not being a trool with my "new" toy. Yes, Just like in Real Estate it's Location, Location, Location!
    Fortunately I spend 90% of my time in great Sprint coverage around greater Atlanta. When venturing out, we've got the wife's old tri-band for backup. But I will try to pay attention to signal levels. Thanks..
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I am a Treo 300 owner and have good and bad experiences with the unit. I have to be fair more positives than negative. In any case I will be trying the I700 due the camera and pocket pc OS. I like the integration of MP3 , streaming capabilities , etc. I believe the next Treo will be 1st qa GSM unit than CDMA. So I am not sure I will wait forever. I would recommend to check out the P800, see review in howardchui.com
    I was a pretty fast graffiti user, and was initially disappointed that the Treo 300 did not come in a graffiti version.

However, after using it for the last 4 months, I can say that the keypad is a MUST item on my next phone/pda.

Cluemeister
    the keyboard is the key. Once you use it, even the most ardent graffiti person is hooked.
    It makes the device a more productive tool.
    According to the latest financial documents out of Handspring, I believe the presentation by the CEO (see Handspring's Investor Relations site), Sprint is not buying any TREO 300s from Handspring this quarter - one can assume, IMHO, that also means Sprint is not buying any more TREO 300s period.

As such, the idea of buying a TREO 300 at this time seems sort of like the idea of buying a TREO 180.
    I fail to understand why the forthcoming G1000 Hitachi isn't being considered as a possibility by those who appreciate the thumbboard, yet want a PPC device. From what I've read the G1000 is roughly the same size as the I700, yet has barely registered a blip in the search for the next great PPC phone.

Hitachi's first phone was a technical hit, tho it was priced beyond what most were willing to pay. I for one am excited to see the final product when they release the phone sometime in June.
    I can vouch for Hitachi's first phone, the P300...it's amazing, and now that Sprint is giving them away for free, there's no reason not to own one if you need a 'phone' phone.

the G1000 looks much bigger...I would consider it, but we'll have to see when it comes out.
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    I fail to understand why the forthcoming G1000 Hitachi isn't being considered as a possibility by those who appreciate the thumbboard, yet want a PPC device. From what I've read the G1000 is roughly the same size as the I700, yet has barely registered a blip in the search for the next great PPC phone.

Hitachi's first phone was a technical hit, tho it was priced beyond what most were willing to pay. I for one am excited to see the final product when they release the phone sometime in June.
    I haven't seen any size specifications on the G1000 but I did happen to get the chance to talk to a MS rep at a tradeshow who claimed to have used both the I700 and G1000. He said he didn't think the G1000 would be much of a success because it was significantly bigger than the I700 in both length and thickness. He went on to say that he recognizes people stay away from the current HTC device because of its size and that if people think that is big, they defintiely would not want to use the G1000.
    Originally posted by abdm436

Thanks
    Verizon actually has their version of the I700 (SCH-I700) out and available for business customers. Verizon's regular consumer prices will be $599/2yr and $629/1yr. Rumored Verizon release date for the general public is May 19th.