1.    #1  
    Check out this link...

http://www.freewarepalm.com/communic...mforpalm.shtml

This site still has AIM v1.1, the US version available for FREE download. If you only use AOL for IM/chat purposes, FREE is much better than the $25 (plus an extra $20 per year for support) or $50 (lifetime support) that they charge for VeriChat.

I have been using it now for a couple of days with no crashes or problems, as has been reported by some users, on my Treo 300.

Enjoy!
    Originally posted by PalmDoc
    Check out this link...

http://www.freewarepalm.com/communic...mforpalm.shtml

This site still has AIM v1.1, the US version available for FREE download. If you only use AOL for IM/chat purposes, FREE is much better than the $25 (plus an extra $20 per year for support) or $50 (lifetime support) that they charge for VeriChat.

I have been using it now for a couple of days with no crashes or problems, as has been reported by some users, on my Treo 300.

Enjoy!
    There are actually great features Verichat has. Like *always* being online.
    Another great feature of verichat or Chatter, is that they don't freeze your Visor/Treo and require a hard reset to recover... like AIM always did for me on Visor(s) and Treo.

Also verichat supports more than just AIM.. It also supports Yahoo!, ICQ and MSN. (Chatter also supports IMAP e-mail sending _and_ receiving).

In short, I would steer clear of AOL's AIM and use either verichat or Chatter instead.
    Originally posted by jaytee

In short, I would steer clear of AOL's AIM and use either verichat or Chatter instead.
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    The minute I hotsynced this to my Treo 270. It crashed. Everytime I did a soft reset, it would crash. It would never come out of the "Palm Powered" screen. I had to do a hard reset, go into my backup folder on my PC and delete "AIM". Hotsynced again to reinstall all my old apps. I won't install that again!!!!!!

Kirby
    Yeah, it's a cool basic aim client for the palm until it crashes your treo as I learned recently (although there's a workaround with this software via the savedprefs.prc file). There's no need for a hard reset. Just simply warm reset, delete AIM, and all is fine and dandy.

For me personally, it's not worth the money to pay for other chat clients because I'm basically an AIM user who hardly chats via my Treo. But it's good to know that there are alternatives out there .

BTW KRamsauer...I love your flying pig avatar!
    "Some are born to move the world; to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be. Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it. For you the blind who once could see...the bell tolls for thee." Rush
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I also highly recommend Verichat. Free AIM caused lockups on my 300 which required hard resets. This was my first time losing data on a Palm OS handheld, and I've been using them from the beginning in 1996 with a US Robotics Pilot 5000.
    Though I have been a loyal PC AIM user since it originated I won't touch their Palm version with a 10 foot pole! I've been burned by just about every version of the crappy app that's out there. Everytime someone would say "this version works it won't crash" I'd install it and crash my Treo. I use Verichat now, it rocks, it has a ton more functionality, and it has never crashed!

Dunc
    Can someone give me a link to Chatter?

Thanks!

Doug