1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Let me start off by saying, I am a new Treo 300/Sprint PCS user, and I am totally in love with this little thing. I have owned 9 PalmOS based devices over the years, and I am very impressed with my new toy...especially since I got it for $150.00!! What a deal!! I discovered this site recently, and have benefitted tremendously from the advice in these forums, so I am asking for your help now.

Anyway...
    I've searched the forums and the internet, even called AOL support on this one (they were useless!!)...

I have an AIM account for the free PC version of AIM (I am NOT an AOL user). I can sigh on and use AIM on my PC...no problem. I downloaded the PalmOS version of AIM, and it seems to run fine, no crashes...but I can't log on to save my life!! I keep getting an error message that says "Could not log you on. Please check your screen name and/or password."

I have checked and rechecked my screen name and password, obviously...still won't work. Now get this...if I try to log on with my wife's screen name and password, it works! If I try to log on with my son's screen name and password, it works!!! I downloaded the trial of VeriChat, and when I try to sign on to AIM using VeriChat and my screen name and password...IT WORKS!!

It is as if the Palm version of AIM doesn't like me!!

AOL support had no clue!!! I tried using the PC version of AIM to change my password, and was redirected to a browser page that wouldn't load, so I reinstalled the AIM PC client, tried again to change my password, and the same thing happened!!

Has anyone else seen this? I only use AIM, so the extra functionality of VeriChat is overkill...plus AIM is free...and seems to work, just not for my screen name!!

HELP!!!!
  2.    #2  
    Well,

I fixed the problem, sort of...

I created THREE new screen names, until one of them finally worked. Very strange. I was very fond of my original screen name, but I guess I can live with the new one. I called AOL again, and they had no clue as to why this would happen, and kept saying that they don't officially support AIM except for the FAQ's and feedback form on the AIM web site (which has still not yielded even an automated reply!). The tech support guy kept saying "since it's a free product, we don't offer tech support". To which I had to remind him SEVERAL times that they charge $20 for AIM in the US, and that it is pretty lame for such a big company to sell something and not offer even basic telephone support...especially when the toll-free support number is displayed in the 'about' screen!!!

Well, anyway, it works, it doesn't crash my Treo 300, and it was free.
    Give it time... like a month or so, and it WILL crash your Treo HARD!!! You will be forced to hard reset your Treo and, unless you have a recent FULL backup, you will be pretty steamed.

My suggestion is to remove AOL's AIM and use Verichat instead.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I second that. Any version of AIM I've used on my Treo has caused lots of problems, though I haven't used the new one that costs money (why bother when Verichat is better and more stable). I suggest getting rid of AIM.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy of Chatter...
    ...can you hear me, Marc?

Having been a beta tester for a bit more than a week, I can confidently say that Chatter is hands-down the best IM app for your Treo. I have used Verichat, and while it is very good, it does not come close to the functionality of Chatter. Don't be fooled by it's Beta status. Marc has been extremely responsive to end-user input and his turn around time on bug fixes is amazing. Chatter is quickly becoming my most-used app.

-Joe
    Yup... Chatter is great! Especially if you want to use the IMAP mail capability. I like the grouping of several IM protocols under a single alias.

But... if someone wants or needs an IM solution now, and doesn't want to wait until Chatter leaves beta (or doesn't want to test and use a beta product), then verichat is a good solution.

(I have both for those times when Chatter doesn't suit my needs...)
    Hey there PalmDOC,

I actually experienced the same problem, but by a twist of fate (or more less lucky guess), I figured out what seemed to cause this wierd problem. Whatever password you're using for the AIM screenname that works on your Treo, use that very same password for your original screenname (btw, I checked the PC AIM change password option and it seems to be working now). I'm almost certain that doing this will solve your problem with your original AIM screenname which you prefer to use. If it doesn't, then unfortunately I don't have an alternative answer .

However, like the other posters have said, this software will fail in time. It did fail for my Treo 270 since I flashed my ROM with the GPRS upgrade. But luckily I was at home when this happened. Without hesitation, I went to Treocentral and did a search on the Network Lib Error message and found that I needed to do a warm reset to access my Treo and delete the culprit AIM software that rendered my communicator unaccessible. Just keep this in mind when this happens to you. The workaround to this relates to the savedprefs.prc file which you can find solutions to with a quick search on this messageboard. Good luck!

Treo96
    PalmDoc -

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but if your password is longer than 8 chars, try typing in only the first 8. I seem to recall that this version of AIM does not truncate passwords properly. Please try this and let me know if it works.
    Originally posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Chatter is hands-down the best IM app for your Treo.
    And where can I download Chatter? Google won't give me a link, it's not listed at Palmgear and even when I search this forum I get no results. Which is strange, because the word is in your message.

TIA,
    ReindeR
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Give it time... like a month or so, and it WILL crash your Treo HARD!!! You will be forced to hard reset your Treo and, unless you have a recent FULL backup, you will be pretty steamed.

My suggestion is to remove AOL's AIM and use Verichat instead.
    Heh... that kept happening to me and I couldn't figure out what it was.

But then again, my treo crashes every week, no matter what I do.

I can't wait until the new version. As much as I love the Treo, it has to many problems to boot.
    Originally posted by jonnysnakes
    But then again, my treo crashes every week, no matter what I do.

I can't wait until the new version. As much as I love the Treo, it has to many problems to boot.
    That is not normal. Better do a hard reset and work with the default software for a while. That should work without problems. Only add new programs like once a week. When it starts crashing again, go back to the configuration of the week before. Some software or combination of software on your Treo makes it crash, nothing wrong with the Treo. You are likely to have the same crashes with a new one also, better start debugging it now.
    ReindeR
    Originally posted by reinder.rustema

That is not normal. Better do a hard reset and work with the default software for a while. That should work without problems. Only add new programs like once a week. When it starts crashing again, go back to the configuration of the week before. Some software or combination of software on your Treo makes it crash, nothing wrong with the Treo. You are likely to have the same crashes with a new one also, better start debugging it now.
    Has it ever happened to you that after a phone call, you get a fatal error and it forces you to reset (not a hard reset, just a soft one).

I had this problem even without installing any software. I went through 4 Treos so far, all w/ the same problem.