Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Hey, I just saw this posted over at ppcts. One of the major reaons I've stayed with my T300 lately is Sprint's unbeatable unlimted data plans. However if this rumor comes through, then there would be some serious consideration IMHO. There are sooo many more options out there with gsm/gprs, plus combined with afforadable unlinmted data would make me consider the T|W, SGH-i500 and various two device combos... What do y'all think? Would unlimited data offered by ATT at this price be tantalizing enough to jump ship?
  2. #2  
    As GW Bush Sr. said, 'not gonna do do it...wouldn't' be prudent', and I'll tell you why:

    Sprint offers 'all you can stand' for $10 a month, $15 cheaper than $25.

    More importantly, ATT sucks. Seriously, inferior technology. Network busy/congested quite often, while Sprint is rarely out.
    Coverage and reception is better with Sprint.

    I've had them both, all over the country, and you couldn't pay me to use ATT. Strong, I know, but when you rely on your phone like I do, it's a serious consideration.
  3. #3  
    I wouldn't jump and for 2 major reasons

    1) The Sprint plan is extremely reasonable. No other company offers anything close to my 2000 anytime/ no long dist/ no roaming/ free pcs-pcs/unlimited data/2 phones for 85 bucks plan.

    2) i've had my telephone number for 6 years. i intend on keeping it for at least another 6. I have no urge to call everybody i've met over the last 6 yrs to give out a new number.


    Several other reasons include being satisfied with my sprint coverage area and familiarity with the sprint network and systems.

    If something works - don't fix it. Esp if the fix is 15 bucks more a month
    www.bubblespeed.com
  4. #4  
    I go through Laguardia, Queens and Manhattan regularly. In Laguardia, there's no coverage in many places. Sometimes, the signal is on one second, off next. On the bus from Laguardia to subway stations in Queens, coverage is at most 20% of the time. Besides, the signal is usually weak. Coverage in mid-town Manhattan is weird. Most of the time it's usable. But it drops off easily. A few times, I didn't have wireless signal for a day or more. Coverage is usable in the area I live in Queens, but it's off very often.
  5. #5  
    The only thing worse than Sprint's low prices and no support would be AT&T's higher prices, worse coverage and even less support. Only AT&T would come out with a plan to compete with Sprint and make it 2.5 times as costly.
  6. #6  
    At least according to that story posted on the front page a while back...

    I've been especially impressed with Sprint via Wireless Modem and Palm Net. I am looking forward much more to the T608 w/ bluetooth (supposedly within a couple of months from now). That might make be go with a Clie or even a PocketPC with Bluetooth.

    For the time being, I think CDMA is the way to go for 2.5G.


    Best,
    --Mathew
  7. #7  
    The more competion the better, I say. Sure $25/month is more than Sprint's plan, but it's still pretty reasonable. And, as gfunk said, it opens up the options for smartphones and 2-piece solutions (using Bluetooth). I'm anxious about the upcoming Bluetooth phone from Sprint as well, but based on the wording of their press release I have a bad feeling that it's been hobbled to only work with Bluetooth headsets.

    Scott
  8. #8  
    $25 is pretty REASONABLE???!!?! Didn't you read the article on the front of TreoCentral comparing dial-up vs. GPRS vs. Vision? The skinny is that GPRS is only about 2x as fast on avg as a dial-up while Vision is about 10x faster. So you think it's reasonable to dump your 300, buy a 270 and pay $15 /mo more for 5x less the performance of Sprint Vision????? I've been thinking of going the other way and dumping my 270 for a 300 once I'm out of my contract. Or waiting for the new Sprint Treo. No way I'm paying $25 for GPRS when it's only twice as fast a dial up.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    $25 is pretty REASONABLE???!!?! Didn't you read the article on the front of TreoCentral comparing dial-up vs. GPRS vs. Vision? The skinny is that GPRS is only about 2x as fast on avg as a dial-up while Vision is about 10x faster. So you think it's reasonable to dump your 300, buy a 270 and pay $15 /mo more for 5x less the performance of Sprint Vision????? I've been thinking of going the other way and dumping my 270 for a 300 once I'm out of my contract. Or waiting for the new Sprint Treo. No way I'm paying $25 for GPRS when it's only twice as fast a dial up.
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting that with these new pricing plans the Treo 270 is better than or equivalent to the Treo 300 (though for international users, people who travel outside of the country, or rare individuals who may have better GSM coverage than CDMA coverage, it may be). I'm merely saying that unlimited wireless data for $25/month is reasonable, period. Remember that Blackberry data usage is more expensive, Palm's i705 service is more expensive, and many cell providers don't even offer an unlimited data plan (and even their relatively small data limit plans are more expensive). My point is that at $25/month for unlimited data, it's within the price range that could help promote major market adoption.

    Scott
  10. #10  
    I think that Sprint's plan is now the market price that everyone else should be judged by. For being 5x slower, I think GPRS unlimited data should be priced lower than Sprint's $10. Maybe $8. At the VERY least, it should be no more than the $10. I don't see how anyone wanting to get the next gen Treo and already knows the difference in data pricing and performance, won't hold out for the Sprint version. I won't even consider buying one with GPRS again.
  11. #11  
    Be careful what youse guys wish for - according to Handspring in their latest 10Q (quarterly financial report):

    == "...While flat data pricing helps customer
    == adoption of the data services offered by
    == carriers and therefore highlights the
    == advantages of the data applications of
    == Treo, such plans may not allow Treo to
    == contribute as much average revenue per
    == user (ARPU) to carriers as when they were
    == pricing incrementally, and therefore
    == reduces our differentiator from other
    == products..."

    What that says is >>THE CARRIER<< sells a lot more phones with cheap data but to the carrier it doesn't matter WHAT phone they sell since the income is NOT derived from from the phone but from the customer - sell more phones, make more money!

    And cheap phones sell more than expensive ones.

    Get flat rates everywhere? The TREOs don't sell.

    Be careful what you wish for if you're interested in Handspring's success.
  12. #12  
    Seldom,

    How about we wish and push for flat and lower pricing and those out there that want to support Handspring can send them a check?

    If Handspring makes a better product people will request it. They will move to providers that carry the product and away from those that don't. If their product is just like others out there then the segment will become price driven.

    ken
  13. kamalot's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #13  
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    If Handspring makes a better product people will request it. They will move to providers that carry the product and away from those that don't.
    Better products don't sell because they are better products. Nothing out there matches my Treo when it comes to sheer functionality and usability. Hype sells products. Hype comes in the form of feature lists full of buzzwords as well as advertising.

    I am sure each of you can name better technology that has been killed by masses swarming to inferior products due to hype.
  14. #14  
    What YOU may call a better product may not be the better product for someone else. They may feel that the product you deem inferior is actually the better product and choose that one. There are many people out there that would tell you the Treo isn't very good and that the xxx is better. In fact, didn't CNet just have a poll to that effect against the Kyocera 7135? All of those folks obviously didn't agree with you.

    It is true that marketing can make it tough for a superior product to break through in the mass market. But part of the job of anyone trying to sell a product is to explain to potential customers why:

    1. They need the product being sold
    2. How the product they're selling fills that need
    3. How the product they're selling is better/different than other products out there.

    Marketing of a poor product can also effect an entire segment in a mass market type item.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey, I just saw this posted What do y'all think? Would unlimited data offered by ATT at this price be tantalizing enough to jump ship?
    In a heartbeat. The selection of bluetooth enabled phones for GSM is unbeatable, not to mention the fact that I can move the SIM from phone to phone.

    /v
  16. tarfin's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #16  
    Originally posted by vgill


    In a heartbeat. The selection of bluetooth enabled phones for GSM is unbeatable, not to mention the fact that I can move the SIM from phone to phone.

    /v
    Ditto. Gotta love being able to decide which phone to use on the fly. Right now Sprint's website won't allow anyone to change phones, you have to call them and wait on hold just to change between phones.

    Not to mention that AT&T has tremendous customer service I'm s ure someone will chime in about their bad experience here, but they have been outstanding by many accounts.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by tarfin


    Ditto. Gotta love being able to decide which phone to use on the fly.
    Highly overrated function if you as me. Honestly speaking, how many times a year do you change phones?

    Unless your phone usage requires you to change phones like you change underwear, then the price of being able to swap sims isn't worthwhile (price in this case = higher monthly phone rates).

    And if you do swap handsets like you change underwear, than maybe you should find something better to do with your money - like flushing it down a toilet
    www.bubblespeed.com
  18. tarfin's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #18  
    Originally posted by DJOrient


    Highly overrated function if you as me. Honestly speaking, how many times a year do you change phones?

    Unless your phone usage requires you to change phones like you change underwear, then the price of being able to swap sims isn't worthwhile (price in this case = higher monthly phone rates).

    And if you do swap handsets like you change underwear, than maybe you should find something better to do with your money - like flushing it down a toilet

    Since you quoted me I'll guess you actually read what you quoted. Having more than one phone means you can choose which phone to use. For example if I'm going someplace where I might lose/damage my phone I wouldn't want to take the Treo but I could take my backup. When I was with Tmobile I had a Nokia 3390 "throwaway" phone for just such an occasion in addition to my Treo 180K. If I lose the Nokia I'm not out much, but I'd sure be bummed about damaging/losing the Treo. With Sprint, I've got a Sanyo 4900 as a backup/throwaway.

    Point was Sprint's website should allow you to change phones but its broken. Maybe you should educate yourself before voicing an opinion on the subject. Also don't presume to know how much money people have to spend on technology. For some its their major hobby and a source of enjoyment.
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by tarfin
    [B]

    For example if I'm going someplace where I might lose/damage my phone I wouldn't want to take the Treo but I could take my backup. When I was with Tmobile I had a Nokia 3390 "throwaway" phone for just such an occasion in addition to my Treo 180K. If I lose the Nokia I'm not out much, but I'd sure be bummed about damaging/losing the Treo. With Sprint, I've got a Sanyo 4900 as a backup/throwaway.
    why would u intentionally bring your phone if you think you're lose it or damage it?

    and if you do lose it, what good would having the SIM chip feature do you?

    Point was Sprint's website should allow you to change phones but its broken. Maybe you should educate yourself before voicing an opinion on the subject.
    i believe the thread is "Rumor: Would you dump Sprint if ATT offers unlimited GPRS data for $24.99"
    www.bubblespeed.com
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by tarfin



    Since you quoted me I'll guess you actually read what you quoted. Having more than one phone means you can choose which phone to use. For example if I'm going someplace where I might lose/damage my phone I wouldn't want to take the Treo but I could take my backup. When I was with Tmobile I had a Nokia 3390 "throwaway" phone for just such an occasion in addition to my Treo 180K. If I lose the Nokia I'm not out much, but I'd sure be bummed about damaging/losing the Treo. With Sprint, I've got a Sanyo 4900 as a backup/throwaway...
    Well, I have the 2000 minutes plan which allows to me add-on a second phone for free. Thus I have my Treo300 for regular purposes and then my backup A400 for when I just need a normal handset or when I don't want to carry the Treo. This works pretty well for me...

Posting Permissions