1.    #1  
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a question. I am using Palmnet as my modem/ISP to which I'm attaching my laptop and retrieving/sending Email. I'm using Outlook as the email client.

Here is the problem neither my work nor Earthlink allow for their servers to be used if I am not directly connected through their networks. This means that, in the past, if I'm at home I use Earthlink as the smtp for my work account and vice versa.

It would seem that using Palmnet, I would simply be able to have both accounts set up as normally with POP or IMAP to retrieve the messages and then use smtp.sprintpcs.com as my SMTP server. Unfortunately, I have yet to have a message send correctly.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Can it work? If so, how do I get it to work?

Thanks for your ideas. If you have the fix for this, I'd love it if you could email me directly at mbarnes@miami.edu.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    It doesn't work that way. These issues have been cussed and discussed many times. Please do a search.

The short answer is try smtpauth.earthlink.net as your smtp server (assuming you are an Earthlink subscriber). This should allow you to send e-mails through Earthlink once you are authenticated.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the comment. I will definitely search. However, since I am an Earthlink subscriber, is there any specific way to make certain it is authenticated. I've not used this for an smtp server before. Do I need to activate the check-box in outlook that says "Log on using secure password authentication?" Under More Settings do I choose that "My Outgoing server requires authentication" and then do I need to have it log in with a user name and password?"

My inquiring mind wants to know.....

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+