1.    #1  
    Okay, tech heavies, here's you chance to show your stuff. I have been trying to get Palm vnc to work for the longest time and it's getting to the point where I'm about to quit. I've read every post here and everything I can find on the web and I can't get it to work. I need help!

Basics: palm vnc version 2.0; win 98 machine; DSL connection;

I have been unable to connect with Palm VNC.

Also, was unable to ping.

From info on this forum I have changed my adapter to Ethernet from PPP and am now able to ping the default gateway host using Mergic Ping.

When I try to connect using palm vnc using port 5900 I get the message that it "cannot connect, unable to connect" ( I have entered the password but it hasn't connected anyway)

and when I change the advanced config on palm vnc to port 80 (a suggestion I read somewhere) I do connect. It says "network connected" then "read failed (ERR=)x1212)" Then
    "ERROR: cannot initialize (host)"
    then "connection closed"

Anybody???
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Are you certain that you're using the correct IP address? For testing purposes leave the password blank and Palm VNC will prompt you for it.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, the IP is right. I've tried it all a million times -- with the password, without the password -- the farthest I've gotten is as described in the original post.
    are you using a router or firewall on the pc?

and by correct ip you mean?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Changing the adapter from Ethernet to PPP makes me wonder about your connection setup. Please post details about that.

Also have you tried this from another PC to verify your VNC setup?
  6.    #6  
    As per a previous post http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=palmvnc

I ran winipcfg and a screen there shows the default gateway ip -- this is the ip that i have been able to ping

That is also the post that recommends changing the setup to ethernet.

however, according to this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=palmvnc
    you cannot use the an ip address that starts with 192.168.*: "IP addresses are used for private networks and are not internet routable ( I use the same range in my home network ). You need to connect to the external IP that your ISP provides ( which is a public, routable address ). The best way to find this out is to go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/"

I tried the address that that gave me by putting it into Palm vnc program and it could not connect.

I haven't tried any of this with another pc.
    if you get a 192.168 Ip when you run winipcfg, then you must be using a router.

The router needs to be set up to to let the trafic in.

btw, where did u get version 2.0?

btw#2, you don't need a 3rd party app to ping. Palm software comes with a ping capability.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    We have a similar setup at our house. I have not tried the PalmVNC but have used VNC on the road to access the desktop. You need to make sure that, on your router, you have port 5900 directed to your internal IP. This is done in the virtual network table of your router.

ex. We have an external IP of 65.67.xx.xx. I have my internal IP as 192.168.xxx.xxx. On the routing screen, the NAT section has a Virtual Server option. I place my internal address in the Private IP, 5900 in the Private IP, select TCP and 5900 in the Public IP.
    This tells the router that anything coming in on port 5900 should be routed to my internal IP.Even if you only have one machine on the router, you still have to set up the router so it will know how to direct traffic.

The other thing that might be happening is that some program is occupying port 5900. If you think this is the case, I would recommend downloading a port analyzer software program that would give you a list of ports active and what programs are using it. Try download.com or pcmag.com if you need a program.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Invader Zim
    As per a previous post http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=palmvnc

I ran winipcfg and a screen there shows the default gateway ip -- this is the ip that i have been able to ping

That is also the post that recommends changing the setup to ethernet.

however, according to this post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=palmvnc
    you cannot use the an ip address that starts with 192.168.*: "IP addresses are used for private networks and are not internet routable ( I use the same range in my home network ). You need to connect to the external IP that your ISP provides ( which is a public, routable address ). The best way to find this out is to go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/"

I tried the address that that gave me by putting it into Palm vnc program and it could not connect.

I haven't tried any of this with another pc.
    Invader Zim,

If it is still not working, please provide the following information and I'm sure we'll be able to walk you through it step by step.

Are you using a router?
    If so, what Brand/model?
    VNC Server version?
    VNC Server settings?
    VNC Server started as service?
    Personal firewall on PC? If not, you need one! But that is another topic.
    Can you try to connect from another PC, like from work or at a friends house? This would be the most helpful test.

BTW Felipe, v2 is here.

-Joe
  10.    #10  
    After not being able to access my router, I called Sprint DSL tech support. The problem, it turns out, is the dynamic IP address that this system uses. Going to their tech page: http://csb.sprint.com/home/local/dslhelp/
    the dynamic address appears on the bottom. Now, through a previous post I had tried using the dynamic IP from www.whatismyipaddress.com (you get same IP here as on the Sprint page mentioned above) however, there apparently was a filter of some sort set up with router settings and the tech guy walked me through removing that filter. The port forwarding to 5900 was correct. I don't think anyone would have known how to get rid of that filter except the DSL tech.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the help. This was a tough one.

BTW, PalmVNC is awesome. I love it already! Does anyone think that they are getting better performance from WinHand Free? I suspect their claims of being 45 times faster is pure hype. Anyone, try both programs? Any preferences?
    Good question: Does anyone think winhand free offers better performance than vnc?

and

Are there any performance gains from this version of 2.0 versus the current 1.4? From the list of enhancements, I wouldn't think so.

TIA,
    Don