1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I have just bought a treo 180: well handspring says 5 days of standby but so far I've experienced 2 days at most...is it normal or whatever ? what's your experience ?
    Bye
    Fabio, Italy
    I wish it was true! The battery life is even shorter if you start calling ;-) How come that HS is talking about 5 days? On my Treo box there is written 60 hours standby.

If there is a new battery on the market that could replace the current one then I would be happy. 5 days...this almost remembers me of my Nokia 6210 WAP phone again.

Rgds

Thomas
  3.    #3  
    Hi,
    look at their site...they say "up to 100 hours standby time"
    http://www.handspring.com/products/t..._nav_sec=Specs
    Well maybe if don't use the phone or the Pda...
    Bye
    Fabio
    Standby is dependant on Carrier Settings and Strength - if you live beside a GSM basestation transmitter and the Carrier has set location updates to 2 hours then you may approach 100 hours. Most carriers do location updates every 1/2 hours (or your phone will update every time you roam and there is another basestation with a 3dB or better gain also dependant on Carrier network settings).

You can also extend battery life (at expense of voice quality) by turning EFR & HR off nokia do - HS may ????? by code [Enhanced Full rate codec: *3370# (EFR ON)#3370# (EFR OFF) Half rate codec: *4720# (Half Rate coded ON) #4720# (Half Rate coded OFF)

In practice expect 1/2 stated standby any thing else is fortuitous.

Install TREO TOOLS and turn GSM off and on automatically at whatever U times set. (4 me 24:00>06:00 to give 25% increase in standby)
    Brickwalls,

You can also extend battery life (at expense of voice quality) by turning EFR & HR off nokia do - HS may ????? by code [Enhanced Full rate codec: *3370# (EFR ON)#3370# (EFR OFF) Half rate codec: *4720# (Half Rate coded ON) #4720# (Half Rate coded OFF)

So how can we turn off EFR or HR? where do we enter the code?
    If Carrier permitted - just tap off *# & digits on the phone keypad and then the call icon.

NOTE: These codes can be both mobile terminal and Carrier dependant (may not work for various reasons). But are universal in GSM application. BUT THEY WILL EFFECT VOICE QUALITY - (especially the typical female frequencie ranges - no good if you have more than one girl friend as you may not be able to pick the voice). Basically they turn your GSM handset back into a Phase One phone for GSM voice codec.
    thanks for the tip. hmmmm, won't be able to differentiate girl's voice? sounds risky. can we undo the function if we don't like it?