1.    #1  
    I just received a test sample of the "Toboggan External Battery for Treo 300" from a contact at Sprint PCS. So the rumors of such an accessory are apparently true.

In brief, it is color-matched to the Treo, and as its name suggests, it is a sled-type attachment. It has a pass-through for HotSync and charging. It also has it's own charging light. From what I can see, it charges the main battery when it is installed. The capacity is 1500 mAh and it is a Li-Ion cell.

It is slightly narrower than the Treo and extends about 3/8 of an inch below the bottom of the unit. It is about 1/2 inch thick. Being a Li-Ion battery, it is very lightweight -- I would guess about 2 to 2.5 ounces. It has two small folding clips that attach to the top of the Treo on either side of the raised area at the top of the unit.

When I get a chance I will post some photos and give some idea about the additional capacity it yields (it did not come with specs or instructions). Last note is that it appears to be made by Toshiba and distributed by Magnadyne. I have no idea about when it might come out, where/how it will be sold, or how much it might cost. If I learn anything more, I will post it.
    This is excellent news ... thanks!
    Just have to know how it is that you're getting the inside scoop on these things - the upgraded software that purported to fix the data connection issue - where is that, btw; and now the battery sled. What gives? What is your secret? Whom do you have pictures of?
    Clue us in! (or perhaps you're sworn to secrecy).
    This is some of the best news for Treo 300 users that I've heard since unlimited data. I look forward to the pictures.

As for inside information, in my case, I'm sworn to secrecy, otherwise I'd gladly share more.

Geoffrey
  5.    #5  
    I have been asked to provide no more details until they are publicly released, so no more information for now, at least of a product details nature. As for my "secret," it's dumb luck. I happened to get a personal response to some trouble tickets several months back, and the Sprint PCS engineer who contacted me then has simply asked me to test things from time to time, as I tend to abuse the system mercilessly and hence am a good test candidate. I have no other claim to fame than being in the right place at the right time by sheer luck.

Hopefully the new firmware will be released very soon. As to the battery, I do know that testing is in the final stages.
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I have been asked to provide no more details until they are publicly released, so no more information for now, at least of a product details nature. As for my "secret," it's dumb luck. I happened to get a personal response to some trouble tickets several months back, and the Sprint PCS engineer who contacted me then has simply asked me to test things from time to time, as I tend to abuse the system mercilessly and hence am a good test candidate. I have no other claim to fame than being in the right place at the right time by sheer luck.

Hopefully the new firmware will be released very soon. As to the battery, I do know that testing is in the final stages.
    I've played with the battery, too. It's light but the size of a brick. I don't see myself every using it except to recharge the internal battery while on a plane. I could never see myself walking around with that thing attached. At least there will be some sort of solution, though.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Is this device contoured to fit only the 300, or is it also compatible with the other devices in the Treo line? (It might fit even if it is designed to conform to the 300's back panel, as the 300 has a less-tapered profile on the lower back,in the area of the cradle connector.)
    -Rusty J.
    Treo 270
    Treo 90
    Micro Innovations IR keyboard
    Belkin car/USB charger
    I was just informed by my internal Sprint contact that the release of the sled isn't going to be for a few more MONTHS! This really ticks me off to no end, since poor battery life is my single biggest problem with the Treo. I need to look into purchasing an emergency battery charger, since the one I have doesn't appear to work that well.

I know this has been addressed other places, but not in a while. Anyone have a recommendation on an emergency charger that they think works well?

Geoffrey
    I have the AA battery-based, emergency charger I got off eBay from PeakCloudy. Works great - I don't really even think I would need the sled, since this one does just as well. Of course, you can't sync through it and other things, since it attaches via a cable to the bottom of the Treo, but it's very PORTABLE, since all it takes is 4 AA batteries. I think it was $10, and it's saved me many times. Get it, you'll love it.
    You can probably search this forum for 'peakcloudy', and get some hits. Good luck.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I was just informed by my internal Sprint contact that the release of the sled isn't going to be for a few more MONTHS! This really ticks me off to no end, since poor battery life is my single biggest problem with the Treo. I need to look into purchasing an emergency battery charger, since the one I have doesn't appear to work that well.

I know this has been addressed other places, but not in a while. Anyone have a recommendation on an emergency charger that they think works well?

Geoffrey
    The best solution I have found as an alternative charger are the zinc air batteries offered by Instant Power. The following link will provide you with the info on what is needed for the Treo: http://www.instant-power.com/sales/m...ring&mods=treo
    I first heard of this battery add-on last September, in this Wall Street Journal column that reported: "...by the holidays, Sprint and Handspring plan to offer a snap-on extra battery that will cost under $100 and double the battery life. The battery will also work on earlier Treos."

Obviously, the "holidays" timeline was not met.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I was just informed by my internal Sprint contact that the release of the sled isn't going to be for a few more MONTHS!
    Sounds to me like Sprint is waiting to release the battery for when the new Treo's come out...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu

Sounds to me like Sprint is waiting to release the battery for when the new Treo's come out...
    Why would they do that? It seems entirely unlikely to me that an accessories designed to form fit the Treo 300 would fit the new models--at least I hope it won't, because I'm hoping for a considerable advance over what we've got now (not that I don't absolutely love mine).

In any case, I wonder if they'd change their minds if we raised a fuss about it?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    In any case, I wonder if they'd change their minds if we raised a fuss about it?
    The only problem with doing that is the fact that it's unlikely you'd ever find anyone at Sprint who was aware of its existence.

Geoffrey
    I just received a postcard from sprint offering me this product for $30 less than the retail of $90.

$60? Seems a bit steep to me. It claims to extend standby time up to 10 days.
    I just received the same card in Santa Rosa. I'm going to save my $60 to help buy a bigger battery.....in the Treo 600!