Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have had problems with Hotsync and my Treo 300 since day one. Frequently 4.0 won't open without a restart. I constantly get items duplicated, and occasionally, individual items vanish. Now when I Hotsync I get a message that says " Conduit Manager: Volume is Locked ". This happens even when I have reviewed all of the Palm and HotSync apps and am sure that they are not locked. I have owned other Visors and have never experienced these kind of issues.

I really love my Treo, but I don't feel that I can count on it to safely store appoinments, etc. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    hey dave,

I, too, had crazy troubles isyncing my new treo to my mac running osx. see my two recent posts (cruiserparts). What made the biggest difference is getting the palm software from the HANDSPRING site. I had nothing but trouble from software in the palm/apple site. Then I think I had to reinstall the conduit from apple.

I had duplicates too. use the "reset device" on isync to replace your stuff FROM the MAC to the TREO. make sure you have dumped your treo stuff on your mac before you do it.

Don't forget you have to open isync and then hit the hotsyn button on the treo cable or nothing works correctly.

don't give up. Both my address book and ical are now working perfectly.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks for the encouragement! You bring up an interesting issue. I had come to the conclusion that the Mac iSync progam(s) were part of the problem, and got rid of everything related to iSync. After fooling around with 4.0 from Palm, I downloaded it from Handspring, so I have that covered. Perhaps I'll give the Mac apps another shot. Hmmm...
    you might want to reinstall i sync from apple. the apple website, if i recall correctly, specified a certain order that the requsite software had to be installed, too.

BTW, the double entries seemed to be a result of the snafu with the palm software. I have never had it after i got everything corrected.

now i just start isync, press the button on the cable and it works great.
    I have found that my Mac will just forget how to sync via USB! It did this again yesterday and I cannot figure out what I did before to get it fixed (reinstalled software but not sure that was it)

The strange thing is the system will sync via IR, will recognize the Treo over USB through Wmodem and will sync via USB on my PC (hmm, can I blame this on Gates??)

i have not had dupe probs, but I turned off Isync and have just been using the Desktop until this came up...

Sigh
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have found that I am much more successful when I sync my Treo with my G3 iBook. It runs the same software as my G4 desktop. However, I am still completely unable to get iSync to work at all!
    After a search of several users boards, this is the first posting I've found of another Mac user having trouble synching their Treo 300. Unfortunately, I still haven't found an answer from your postings, but I feel I'm now halfway there. Here's my trouble.

I have a G4, OS 9. I downloaded the patch from handspring.com. Installed and synched and all of my old Prism SOFTWARE loaded fine into my 300. BUT NO DATE BOOK history, NO ADDRESS BOOK info. But oddly, some of it's in there because my 300 plays my old alarm sounds and it recognizes city names when I enter info new info into Address book. And when I try to re-synch new data, it simply reinstalls my old software applications all over again.

Also, Palm Desktop won't open, error type 11 (?), and I can't view View Log. I called Sprint Tech Support, they suggested Uninstalling, then re-installing. Tried to do that, but the Palm Desktop Installer's "Uninstall" button doesn't light up when I choose that from the pulldown menu options. I even re-downloaded the Installer, but no difference.

I've owned a Handspring Prism for two years and want to remain a Handspring user. Like ikondave, I want to keep my 300. I hope someone has an answer for me. At least ikondave got some info synched on his device. I haven't even gotten that far.

Thanks a lot.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hey Pepito -

Have you tried Apple's Keychain First Aid 1.0 ? I suspect that the whole Keychain process is behind some of the problems that we're having ( although this is only a highly uneducated guess ). After I ran the Keychain program, downloaded and ran iSync Uninstall, then intalled iSync,I was able to successfully sync to Palm Desktop a well as Apple's Address book and iCal. There were some glitches ( like event listings being repeated as many as four times ) but basically it worked.

Honestly, I think that we Mac using Treo owners have been mislead about Palm 4.0's functionality. I don't know who to blame, although my guess would be Handspring and Sprint are the culprits.
    Thanks for the suggestion, ikondave. Trouble is I'm still operating OS 9, not OS X. I looked up your First Aid and iSync solutions, but they're for OS X, and unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like I'd have to pay $150 for an upgrade for X, which I wasn't planning on doing. I'm still hoping for someone to have an answer for me without having to futz with installing a whole new operating system.
    Originally posted by Pepito
    Thanks for the suggestion, ikondave. Trouble is I'm still operating OS 9, not OS X. I looked up your First Aid and iSync solutions, but they're for OS X, and unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like I'd have to pay $150 for an upgrade for X, which I wasn't planning on doing. I'm still hoping for someone to have an answer for me without having to futz with installing a whole new operating system.
    I use Mac OS 9.2.2 and I eliminated all synching troubles and file corruption on my Treo when I followed the advice from Handspring:

Do a Sherlock search on "Palm" (files not folders) and delete all (meaning all parts of the Palm Desktop software that Palm installed all over your hard drive.). Go to the Handspring website and download their complete version of Palm Installer 4.0 and install it.

(I don't know what you mean by just downloading Handspring's "patch" - they told me to reinstall from scratch as the Palm 4.0 version on the Palm website is not customized for Handspring products like the Treo.)

After backing up, do a hard reset of your Treo and then a selective restore from backup.

This was months ago. Everything has worked great ever since.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    NateS, you are a GOD.

Everything worked just as you said. I wish Handspring was able to give me that info sooner, but I bought a Sprint phone, so they re-directed me to Sprint every time, and they couldn't help.

To avoid running into conflicts, I created a new user name for my device. But do you know if there's a way I can retrieve my old user name Address Book and Date Book+ info to synch into my new user name Treo?

Thanks a whole lot for your post, it was invaluable.
    . . .I wish Handspring was able to give me that info sooner, but I bought a Sprint phone, so they re-directed me to Sprint every time, and they couldn't help. . .
    Pepito,

Here is how you can get PDA support from HandSpring for your Treo 300:

"Our Wireless Support line does support the PDA portion of the Treo line of
    products, including the Treo 300. That support line will also assist with
    Treo Mail problems.

You can contact the Wireless Support line at 877.426.3777. Go in through the
    Sprint option, then Treo Mail. You can get basic Palm OS help there."

In addition, you can get access to the entire database of error messages and other Treo advice on their website if your sign in as a Treo 270 user - most of the information is the same.

Regards,

NateS
    NateS, you are a GOD.
    . . .
    To avoid running into conflicts, I created a new user name for my device. But do you know if there's a way I can retrieve my old user name Address Book and Date Book+ info to synch into my new user name Treo?

Thanks a whole lot for your post, it was invaluable.
    Pepito,

I'm really glad it worked.

Have you looked in Macintosh HD/Documents/Palm/Users/(YourOldUserName) for "User Data Archive"? That should restore your old data into your Palm Desktop.

Assuming your Palm Desktop under your new user name is empty, from within Palm Desktop, go to File/Merge . . . and then navigate to the above file under your old name and then merge the data into your empty Palm Desktop under your new user name. If you like what you see, then synch with conduits set to "Macintosh overwrites Handheld".

And if you then have exactly what you want on your Treo, and everything looks great, immediately, and regularly thereafter, run a complete backup of your Treo. I recommend BackupBuddy over the standard Backup conduit.

Regards,

NateS
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    So, I guess the real issue here is will the Treo 300 work with Palm Desktop for Mac 2.6. Even though I am not using a Palm badged product, I wrote directly to Palm support. They were extremely helpful! I had a very thorough and helpful answer within a couple of hours; on Sunday yet! My main problem was corrupt software, so I used the Palm installer to uninstall, then downloaded a fresh copy of Palm 4.0 which I installed. I also ( at the suggestion of Palm support ) checked File Sharing which was indeed on, so I turned it off. Sadly, I am still finding iSync to be problematic; particularly iCal. I am going to forget about iSync until Apple makes it more stable and bug free.

My Treo is cool, but my next handheld will be a Palm, unless of course Apple decides to get in to the market with a device of it's own < listen to the sound of me not holding my breath > ;-)
    Originally posted by ikondave
    So, I guess the real issue here is will the Treo 300 work with Palm Desktop for Mac 2.6. Even though I am not using a Palm badged product, I wrote directly to Palm support. They were extremely helpful! I had a very thorough and helpful answer within a couple of hours; on Sunday yet! My main problem was corrupt software, so I used the Palm installer to uninstall, then downloaded a fresh copy of Palm 4.0 which I installed. I also ( at the suggestion of Palm support ) checked File Sharing which was indeed on, so I turned it off. Sadly, I am still finding iSync to be problematic; particularly iCal. I am going to forget about iSync until Apple makes it more stable and bug free.

My Treo is cool, but my next handheld will be a Palm, unless of course Apple decides to get in to the market with a device of it's own < listen to the sound of me not holding my breath > ;-)
    "So, I guess the real issue here is will the Treo 300 work with Palm Desktop for Mac 2.6"

Why would you even want to do that?

Palm Desktop for Mac 2.6 is pretty ancient - I'm surprised it worked at all with your setup although you don't mention what Mac OS you are using.

I agree that it is not worth playing around with iSync and iCal at this juncture - it's still pretty green. Palm Desktop 4.0 is more than adequate for now, IMHO, although I think you would have more reliable synching performance out of the Handsrping-customized version available from the HS website.

Regards,

NateS