1.    #1  
    When I bought the 300, the sales person was real clear that it was a single band phone, digital only he said. I was ok with this due to my area I live in and my wifes is a dual band, so if we travel, she would be with me, or i could borrow hers. What are the three bands anyway.

I was a Radio Shack getting a stylis and saw a 300 and it said dual band on the placard, it was not a Sprint or HS one so i figuerd it was a typo and the RS person was no help. Today, I saw a 300 for $299 at Cimp USA and the add said dual band too.

So are these misprints, or does the 300 support daul band. Upgrading the firmware would not work (as far as adding it) due to it needing the electroincs, correct?

Digital, Analong and Europen? Thanks,Matt Burkhard
  2. jmw
    It must be a misprint. The treo is single band.

I don't think a firmware upgrade would change that, since it would need to broadcast and receive different frequencies. That's a hardware thing.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, That is what I htought. However after the second misprint, I wondered if it was a firmware deal, but I am with you, it had to have the electroincs. There's not a Treo300 MarkII is there....
    If you look at the Airprime Helium 1X EM3000 module that's in the Treo, the thing is completely underutilized. I think they are deliberately not using these features because it would embarass the GSM models too much

My understanding is that the EM3000 has a Qualcomm MSS5105 chipset in it. Check out the datasheet of that puppy.

- Voice Recognition, speaker-dependent, speaker-independent and voice prompt support.
    - Voice memo..

I don't know what it takes to get a real datasheet on those chips. All I've found is the two page versions. Same deal with Airprime.

Seems to me the thing is capable of so much more, but it's crippled either by the firmware or simply because the development docs are so hard to get.
    I agree that the crippled the wireless radio in the Treo 300. In addition to potatoho's list, the radio is capable of dual band -- 1900 Mhz and 900 Mhz -- both digital. I believe that the reason that only 1900 Mhz has been implemented is that Sprint's PCS network is 1900 Mhz only. Seems like Verizon could take advantage of both bands (i.e., for voice but not data). Another wasted opportunity is that the chipset supports 32 MB of flash RAM, but we only get 16 MB. Oh well, I shouldn't complain too much (and I wouldn't if I hadn't been waiting so man years for a device like this -- too much pent-up frustration with the slow pace of telecom progress!).
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I agree that the crippled the wireless radio in the Treo 300. In addition to potatoho's list, the radio is capable of dual band -- 1900 Mhz and 900 Mhz -- both digital. I believe that the reason that only 1900 Mhz has been implemented is that Sprint's PCS network is 1900 Mhz only. Seems like Verizon could take advantage of both bands (i.e., for voice but not data). Another wasted opportunity is that the chipset supports 32 MB of flash RAM, but we only get 16 MB. Oh well, I shouldn't complain too much (and I wouldn't if I hadn't been waiting so man years for a device like this -- too much pent-up frustration with the slow pace of telecom progress!).
    I believe it supports analog as well. As to what extra electronics, besides a longer antenna, they would need to support these I don't know.

Regarding flash, I thought there was only like 2-4MB on the Treo line. Well it's not supposed to be there I don't think, because their other devices used ROM. As to how much flash is on the EM3000, I hope they didn't skimp. I imagine there was a way to skimp and not leave enough for voice memo features.
    Potatoho, my mistake. I meant that the chipset supporting the PDA functionality will allow 32 MB of RAM -- not Flash RAM. However, at least the early units all used 6 MB (I think 2 MB for the radio and 4 MB for the OS) of Flash RAM instead of a ROM chip for the OS and radio firmware. The fact that the beta firmware updater required so much free memory leads me to believe that all of the Treo 300's must have at least 6 MB of Flash RAM. I don't believe that any firmware is in ROM, but I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I have no idea but if they're underutilizing the one in the 300, perhaps the 270 has capabilities that might be hiding.
    Being able to expand it to 32MB, alone, would be a nice touch.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    900 MHz isn't used for mobile phones in the US, 800 MHz is, including by Verizon. 900 MHz is used for GSM in Europe, along with some 1800 MHz.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I agree that the crippled the wireless radio in the Treo 300. In addition to potatoho's list, the radio is capable of dual band -- 1900 Mhz and 900 Mhz -- both digital. I believe that the reason that only 1900 Mhz has been implemented is that Sprint's PCS network is 1900 Mhz only. Seems like Verizon could take advantage of both bands (i.e., for voice but not data).
    My mistake, it's 800 MHz digital, not 900 MHz.