Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw the Kyocera 7135 today at the Verizon store. It is quite pretty. The screen is very nice. It is thicker than the Treo but a bit smaller overall. I think the Treo will be easier in the pants pocket. I feel the itch to get something new but nothing somes close to the keyboard on the Treo and Sprint's all you can eat data. I think Verizon's data and voice plan is very expensive compared to Sprint's. Just my 2c....
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, am "itching to get something new" but everytime I think about it I realize that the Treo is, for me, the BEST compromise between PDA and phone. I use e-mail first, phone second, and the keyboard is UNBEATABLE. Considering that, coupled with Sprint's unlimited vision and reasonable rates, I'd have to be crazy to go back to Verizon (or anyone else). That, of course, is for my situation, no reflection on anyone else. But I get reception almost everywhere I go in NYC/LI, even better than Verizon. Now if only Sprint would get coverage in PENN STATION.

=NLK=
    My husband received his new 7135 last Friday. It is NOT a Treo. He knows I am a geek with my Treo so he had me do the cradle setup and first hotsync, etc. It is a very nice phone but so far I have to say I am unimpressed. The screen is smaller than the Treo screen. The speed dial setup is LOUSY. In fact, I can't believe how intuitive the Treo speed dials are in comparison. On the 7135 to use a speed dial you have to press a number key, then the little silver phone key to get the number to dial. And it makes me realize how much I love the job dial on the side of my Treo. The ringers in the 7135 are totally LAME, although you are able to load MP3's using provided software to make your own ringers.

It does have a really nice, solid feel to it. That I must admit. And the screen is very bright. But overall I live my Treo much better.

I would still choose the Treo ... but I do wish it had a card slot and a removable battery. *sigh*
    I actually waited in ernest for the7135 to show up on sprint. I wouldve gotten the treo earlier but the thought of a SD slot and MP3 playability seemed better. I was a regular over on the SmartphoneSource board. I ended up winning a treo in a contest at the job (i work for sprint) so I just thought I'd keep it long enough til the Kyo ended up on our network. Well that was 5 months ago... I don't think I could use a device like this without the keyboard. But I too am looking at the new Palm tungstens and Clies and wanting expanded memory, a better screen, bigger and removable battery, and bluetooth. Now that I've used camera phones a lot, that would be nice too...
    The 7135 screen is not active during calls. This is really frustrating. You have to use keys to control the phone during a call. If you try to tap the screen, a message appears telling you that the screen wont do anything! I am sure they had good intentions in doing this or else they could not integrate the phone app with the pda very well.
    So you cannot add an appointment or check your calendar when on the phone? That's horrible, if true.
    The integration between PDA and phone on the 7135 is nothing as sophisticated as the Treo. This is a fact. It is a better phone perhaps with pure phone features ... but the PDA side of things definitely is lacking. If you are on the phone you cannot put a call on hold and go to your address book to look up a phone number. You cannot get to your address book to check a date to schedule something. This is a serious flaw. The Treo may have some setbacks but the phone/pda integration is exceptional. You can have your SD slot and your MP3 player ... I wouldn't trade my TREO for anything... not even a Kyocera 7135. (although I still wish for a removable battery!! LOL)
    Been reading on smartphonesource about some people getting used to twice a day soft resets and a once a week hard reset. That's not good.
    David
    I am pretty sure (from what I've read at smartphonesource) that on a 7135 you can switch out of the phone screen during a call and use the other Palm apps, with an active touchscreen. The default configuration during a call is an inactive screen so that your face or facial hair don't wreak havoc on your call if they incidently touch the screen during a call. Remember, the 7135 has the touchscreen on the upper half of the flip phone, which is more likely to get touched during a call than the Treo's screen on the bottom half of the flip. If you switch to speakerphone, then you can use any other Palm app just like on the Treo.
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    The 7135 screen is not active during calls. This is really frustrating. You have to use keys to control the phone during a call. If you try to tap the screen, a message appears telling you that the screen wont do anything! I am sure they had good intentions in doing this or else they could not integrate the phone app with the pda very well.
    You are correct, the screen displayed during an active voice call is not touch-sensitive, this was to keep your face from accidentally htting any virtual buttons. I can't imagine why you would want to tap on the screen displayed during a call (thereby using both hands) though when you can access all the menus and options with the hard buttons using a single hand.

Originally posted by Llynx
    The integration between PDA and phone on the 7135 is nothing as sophisticated as the Treo. This is a fact. It is a better phone perhaps with pure phone features ... but the PDA side of things definitely is lacking. If you are on the phone you cannot put a call on hold and go to your address book to look up a phone number. You cannot get to your address book to check a date to schedule something. This is a serious flaw.
    Sorry, but you could not be more wrong. Like in just about every other palm smartphone, you most certainly can access EVERY palm feature the device offers while in a voice call. You simply hit any of the hard buttons or the home or phone icon on the graffiti pad (which is not part of the screen) and you are in business. Did you know you can highlight a phone number (like in an email), hit the talk button, and the 7135 will dial it. I would say that is pretty good integration of the Palm and phone.

Originally posted by drw
    Been reading on smartphonesource about some people getting used to twice a day soft resets and a once a week hard reset. That's not good.
    Keep in mind that on any given message board, people who have problems are more likely to post than ones without problems, which can gvie a really distorted view of any given "problem". Personally, I have not have to do a single hard reset in the month I have had my 7135. And even if I had to, I can simply restore the entire device from my SD card without having to do a hotsync.

The screen is smaller than the Treo screen.
    Yes, the screen is smaller but that also has the effect of producing a device that is not as wide as the Treo. This is oviously personal preference though(smaller screen/less-wide device vs. larger screen/wider device). For me, even though the sceen may be smaller, it is definitely more than useable.

The speed dial setup is LOUSY. In fact, I can't believe how intuitive the Treo speed dials are in comparison. On the 7135 to use a speed dial you have to press a number key, then the little silver phone key to get the number to dial. And it makes me realize how much I love the job dial on the side of my Treo.
    As far as speed dialing goes, you have two options (which are very similar to speedialing on just about every mobile phone):
    1. hit the number key that corresponds to the phone number you have associated with it then hit the geen talk button or
    2. simply hold down the number key for 2 seconds and it will dial the number you have associated it

I'm just glad the darn speedial list doesn't pop up everytime I open the flip! That anoyed me so much on my Treo 300 and I was not about to spend money to fix a problem that should not have even been there in the first place. The 7135 supports voice-dialing as well.

The ringers in the 7135 are totally LAME, although you are able to load MP3's using provided software to make your own ringers.
    Yes the ringers on the 7135 are lame but like you said, you can take any mp3 and make it a ringtone in a matter of seconds, which more than makes up for it. Kyocera probably neglected to put much effort into picking cool ringers because of this feature. I am glad they made that decision and chose to focus their attention on other aspects of the device.

You guys are certainly free to post your opinions but try not to criticize a device over another if you have not had the opportunity to extensively use both devices (I own both). I think each devices caters to a different user group so one is not better than the other, one may be better suited to your specific needs though. For me, the mp3 playback and ringtone capabilities, SD slot for both storage and backup purposes, true keypad, top caller ID, removeable battery, voice dialing, voice recording capabilities, 16bit color, overall smaller form factor, phone-centric design, and availability of a folding keyboard outweighed the 7135's lack of a mini-keyboard, its thickness and weight (I actually like the weight though, gives the 7135 such a solid feel), and smaller screen. This will obviously not be the case for everyone but that's why I switched from the Treo 300 to the 7135.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 04/29/2003 at 01:12 PM.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    I'm just glad the darn speedial list doesn't pop up everytime I open the flip! That anoyed me so much on my Treo 300 and I was not about to spend money to fix a problem that should not have even been there in the first place
    Actually, there are two freeware solutions for that. Indeed, I don't think you could pay to fix the problem (short of paying someone to install freeware).
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Actually, there are two freeware solutions for that. Indeed, I don't think you could pay to fix the problem (short of paying someone to install freeware).
    Thanks for the note but what I was trying to point out was that was a problem that should not have been there in the first place (regardless if there is a free solution available or not).

Thanks for the note but what I was trying to point out was that was a problem that should not have been there in the first place (regardless if there is a free solution available or not).
    I quote: "I was not about to spend money to fix a problem that should not have even been there in the first place."

It probably was an oversight on Handspring's part, but there is no need to leave a product when a widely available, simple fix is available.
    What are the freeware fixes for the speed dial pad and where do you get them
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I quote: "I was not about to spend money to fix a problem that should not have even been there in the first place."

It probably was an oversight on Handspring's part, but there is no need to leave a product when a widely available, simple fix is available.
    I quote: "I'm just glad the darn speedial list doesn't pop up everytime I open the flip! That anoyed me so much on my Treo 300..." the rest of the statement was just an afterthought.

So again I will say that what I was trying to point out was that it was a problem that should not have been there.

In addition, I would hope that you could see from my initial post in this thread that the reason I left the Treo 300 was not solely because of the speedial problem but rather a combination of that and other Treo shortcomings (no removeable battery, too wide, below average ability to pull in a signal, single band only, etc.) coupled with advantages I felt the 7135 offered (see inital post) and the Treo 300 did not.

In any case, we are discussing a minor, minor detail from my initial post that really has no bearing on the overall picture I was trying to convey when I wrote that post.
    Originally posted by Marty
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...182#post218182

I have never seen more false information in a single thread in my life! Sounds like some people are trying to justify to themselves their Treo 300 purchase.
    I don't need to justify anything. The Treo 300 is a superior product which was brought to market in a timely fashion instead of sitting in the hands of beta testers forever.
    David

In any case, we are discussing a minor, minor detail from my initial post that really has no bearing on the overall picture I was trying to convey when I wrote that post.
    Okay. I was just clearing up some confusion. Enjoy your new phone.
    Originally posted by drw
    I don't need to justify anything. The Treo 300 is a superior product which was brought to market in a timely fashion instead of sitting in the hands of beta testers forever.
    Wow, I can't believe you actually pulled my post from another site and posted it here. I obviously cannot read your mind but if you are going to repost my pro-7135 messages from another site onto treocentral, it only gives the appearance that you do need to justify something. How long ago was it when the Treo 180 was announced (because that's when the development of the Treo 300 was announced in HS's FAQs)? I believe that was October 2001 and the Treo 300 was released in August 2002. The 7135 was announced in July 2002 and released in January 2003. You do the math.

I did not post that statement on treocentral because I knew it would likely rub someone here the wrong way and I did not want to get into a flame war. If you have issue with something I say at another site, argue with me there. If you want to direct people from this site to that site so they can argue with me there, that's perfectly fine as well. But don't move my pro-7135 statements to a anti-7135 site, that just shows a lack of gumption, Again, I would argue that you cannot possibly call one product better than the other since you have not even used one of them (yet alone tried it out for a long enough period of time to create an informed opinion about it). Until you do, your arguments really don't even hold water.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 04/29/2003 at 06:52 PM.
    Hey, guys....a couple of great, innovative products we're talking about here. No need to knock either one (or the people who like either one) because we happen to like the other better.

Save your energy to rage on about Mr. Gates and his evil empire!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast