1.    #1  
    Version 0.4 of EMail Notify is now available. This version adds POP3 support.

You can get the new version at : http://www.dogspots.com/emailnotify/

EMail Notify is a small e-mail client for Windows that will monitor your inbox and send an alert to any e-mail address when new messages arrive. It has been tested with Exchange Server 5.5 (including POP3), but it should work with other servers as well. It is useful for sending alerts to a cell phone, pager or pda. It has a delay that when set will only send alerts if a message sits untouched for a certain length of time. This eliminates the need to turn alerts on and off when you come and go from your desk; an alert will not be sent if a message is manually handled on the desktop before the delay has passed. It also has a schedule feature to limit alerts so that they are only sent during certain times of the day.

If your e-mail client can be triggered to fetch mail when a SMS (or One-Way message) comes in, this is the next best thing to "push" mail.
    I downloaded this to my desktop and loaded it. I use Outlook with my pop3. This may be a stupid question . . . but does Outlook need to be running for this program to work? The log shows that it connects ok but it never sends an SMS o my Treo.
    Thanks!
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I use Outlook with my pop3. ... does Outlook need to be running for this program to work? The log shows that it connects ok but it never sends an SMS
    Outlook does not need to be running.

Have a look at your settings. Since you are using POP3, you don't need Exchnage support; uncheck the "Enable Exchange" check box on the Exchange tab. You do need POP3 support; check the "Enable POP3" check box on the POP3 tab and fill in the other fields. You do need SMTP support; check the "Use SMTP to send Alerts" check box on the SMTP tab and fill in the rest of the fields. Let me know if you think these settings are correct and it still doesn't work.
    Does Email Notify support multiple users on Windows XP?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by sarvinc
    Does Email Notify support multiple users on Windows XP?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the real answer is that I don't really know. If you try it and it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

I use WindowsXP, but I only use one user per computer.

Are you using XP Pro or XP Home? Are you logging into a domain or a workgroup? Are you using quick user switching?

I can tell you that EMail Notify keeps its settings in the registry settings for the current user, so it is entirely possible that you could run one copy in one profile and another in another profile.
    I'm using Windows XP home, but haven't tried it yet, I wanted to check first. I'll give it a go and then post. Thanks.
    Originally posted by BillFugina

Outlook does not need to be running.

Have a look at your settings. Since you are using POP3, you don't need Exchnage support; uncheck the "Enable Exchange" check box on the Exchange tab. You do need POP3 support; check the "Enable POP3" check box on the POP3 tab and fill in the other fields. You do need SMTP support; check the "Use SMTP to send Alerts" check box on the SMTP tab and fill in the rest of the fields. Let me know if you think these settings are correct and it still doesn't work.
    I am still not getting my alerts sent to my Treo 300. I have set it up as you indicate using my roadrunner email address for my SMTP. Any suggestions?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Llynx
    I am still not getting my alerts sent to my Treo 300. I have set it up as you indicate using my roadrunner email address for my SMTP. Any suggestions?
    Version 0.6 has an option to create a debug file that will help me figure out what is going on. If you don't already have version 0.6, get it and run it. When it has been running long enough that you think it should have sent an alert, do the following:

1. Double-click the icon in the tray. This will add a new menu option called "Create Debug File"

2. Left-click the icon in the tray to call up the menu.

3. Click "Create Debug File".

4. Save the debug file to a text file and send that text file to me via e-mail at bill@dogspots.com.

Hopefully the debug file will let me know exactly what is going on.