1.    #1  
    Hi,

this morning my Treo 270 didn't turn on any more, GSM radio LED was dark.

I did a soft reset, unit wakes up, shows "Palm powered" screen and turns off.

I did a hard reset, unit asks for deleteting data, shows "Palm powered" screen and turns off.

This happens even without SIM card and with A/C adapter attached.

Any idea that can bring my little friend back to life?

Many thanks in advance!
    Umberto
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well, it wasn't a 270, but the symptoms were the same. First, is it under warranty ? Second, are you comfortable opening up the treo ? I had a "pre-release" 300 with the same problem. Since this was not under warranty, I figured changing the battery would be a good start. I salvaged the battery from a dead (speaker) 180g, and this fixed the problem. I do not think the battery life is the same as the old 300 battery was much larger than the 180s, but, it did solve the problem. I think you might be able to find a new battery online as well.

Good luck.

Paul
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your help,

it is in fact the battery. I was able to recover the unit having it connected to the A/C adapter for several hours (the LED was not lit!).
    A soft reset brought it back to life. Luckily.

But I'm afraid the Li-Ion battery will remember this incident and loose some capacity. :-(

Umberto
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I had run the battery on my 270 almost completely down, and afterwards it would not take a charge - the light would turn green and the battery icon would show a full charge until I turned the radio on (cellphone or GPRS), at which point the low battery alert would come up.
    Several failed retries (same results) later I figured out what was happening -- the battery voltage had dropped to the point where the initial charge current heated the battery, raising its resistance sufficiently to trick the charging circuit into thinking it was fully charged.
    The odd solution I came up with was to charge the battery while simultaneously diverting power to running the radio and display, and keeping the battery cold.
    I used the shortcut-dot-3 trick to force the display to stay on, turned the cellphone function on, and charged it inside my refrigerator. A few hours of this, and my Treo was back to normal.
    Strange, no?
  5.    #5  
    Strange, yes!!!
    Great story

Umberto
    Originally posted by Rusty J
    II used the shortcut-dot-3 trick to force the display to stay on, turned the cellphone function on, and charged it inside my refrigerator. A few hours of this, and my Treo was back to normal.
    Strange, no?
    I don't know what is the "shortcut-dot-3 trick is" but I did two tricks when I drop the battery to the point you mention.

First I set up the dark period to 3 minutes and I left the Treo open when charging and all I do is click on screen a few times. After 10 minutes I can left the Treo charging without problems and takes about 4 hours to real full charge.

Second choice is activating the wireless in a area without good coverage... (inside a metal drawer or so) So the Treo start using the full 2 watts power to transmit... then the battery start loading properly and after 3 or 4 hours is really full loaded.

I think the refrigerator think is not really needed. I perfectly know that lowering the battery temperature helps but one of my two tricks solve the problem. Anyway consider what level of signal your Treo receives inside the fridge (could be my low signal solution???).

SUMMARY. What I find out is that if the signal level is 3 or 4 the battery charge process after a real total discharge doesn't work but on 1 or 2 signal level the Treo use lot of power to reach the network and that helps to load the battery. This as far as I know can be done too by having the display on while charging.