1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Anyone know if there is a way to adjust how many times the Treo 300 rings before the call goes to voicemail? I thought that was a pretty standard cellphone feature, but can't seem to find it? Do I need to download a software program to do this?

Thanks,
    Darius:menu:
  2.    #2  
    Update: So I talked to Sprint customer service and they said that it's not a feature of the phone. Anyone know of software that will handle this?

Thanks
  3. jsr
    As far as I know, there is no way unless maybe sprint changes it for you.

I know very little about the technical aspects of the sprint network but it seems like the phone has no control over how many rings before voicemail. I believe the sprint network decides when to send it to voicemail after it feels that the phone has had enough time to ring. Over the past 6 years of having a sprint phone, i've had many different experiences with how many rings before voicemail. Sometimes it will ring once on the phone even though the person calling will here 4 or 5 rings. The most popular outcome seems to be it not ringing at all on the phone even though the person calling hears it ringing. Basically how many rings you get seems to depend greatly on how good your service is at the moment that someone is calling.
    What you mention in your post above, is pretty interesting. I don't have any technical knowledge about how the phone works either. Think about this though, if you press the up button while someone is calling you, it will send them to voicemail. So it seems like the phone does have some control over how many rings happen before the caller goes to voicemail.

Now whether you could actually somehow harness this to make a program that controls how many rings occur before voicemail, is another matter.
  5. jsr
    Originally posted by paulsjmail
    What you mention in your post above, is pretty interesting. I don't have any technical knowledge about how the phone works either. Think about this though, if you press the up button while someone is calling you, it will send them to voicemail. So it seems like the phone does have some control over how many rings happen before the caller goes to voicemail.

Now whether you could actually somehow harness this to make a program that controls how many rings occur before voicemail, is another matter.

Have you ever tired calling yourself and pressing the up button? It does not actually send the call to voicemail, it just silences the ringer then the call goes to voicemail after 4-5 rings like it normally would if you didn't answer or press any buttons. It doesn't matter if you press that button the first or third ring the person calling will still have to listen to all 4 or 5 rings. Also note that even after you have pressed the up button, you can still answer the call on your phone for another few seconds while the ringer is silenced. How long after you pressed the button that you can still answer it depends on how long you have remaining with the standard 4-5 rings. This is the way that all of my Sprint phones have worked (by Motorola, Samsung, Sony, and now Handspring). Also note that I can't remember any of them allowing me to control the amount of rings before voicemail.
    You are mistaken or your Treo 300 operates differently than mine. When my phone starts to ring, if I press the up scroll button it goes directly to voicemail and cannot be answered by me. If I press the down scroll button, it simply silences the ring, allowing me to answer it while the caller hears further ringing.

I checked this behavior again just now.

As for the operation of Sprint phones, the ability to send directly to voicemail came with the upgrade to Vision and is, I suspect, limited to Vision-capable phones, like the Treo 300.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by jsr

Have you ever tired calling yourself and pressing the up button? It does not actually send the call to voicemail, it just silences the ringer then the call goes to voicemail after 4-5 rings like it normally would if you didn't answer or press any buttons. It doesn't matter if you press that button the first or third ring the person calling will still have to listen to all 4 or 5 rings. Also note that even after you have pressed the up button, you can still answer the call on your phone for another few seconds while the ringer is silenced. How long after you pressed the button that you can still answer it depends on how long you have remaining with the standard 4-5 rings. This is the way that all of my Sprint phones have worked (by Motorola, Samsung, Sony, and now Handspring). Also note that I can't remember any of them allowing me to control the amount of rings before voicemail.
    Originally posted by jsr

Iím not sure as to why your Treo (Sprint Treo 300) is not exhibiting the behavior that I described in my prior post. Itís important to distinguish between the Treoís scroll button and the Treoís up/down buttons located on the lower end of the device.

If you use the scroll buttons the ringer will be silenced (you will not hear it but the caller will) but the caller will still hear the normal amount of rings before they are sent to voicemail. If you use the up/down buttons located on the lower end of the Treo, the caller should immediately be sent to voicemail.

I there a way to increase the number of rings on a treo 300 from 4 to 6 or 8 ??????? any one know.
    mcgiverohno.
  9.    #9  
    FYI -

I just spoke with Sprint support again, and the the support rep told me that the number of rings starts at 4 and goes up to 7. The number of rings for your phone is, for whatever reason, the number of rings for your phone and they are not able to change the number of rings on their network side. Great... well that sucks.

Darius