1.    #1  
    On my Treo 270 the screen keeps switching off and on randomly. It was suggested if I delete all sms messages it will he;p. It did not. Does anyone know the cause and remedy ? It affects battery life what with it coming off and on. Thank you,.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    You may have an SMS saved on your SIM card (not in the SMS message lists).
    Try turning your radio off then back on again -- if there's one there, you'll then get a pop-up announcing it and allowing you to move it to the main SMS application, shortly after the network search finishes.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply. I have been having this problem since I got this Treo 270 and as I switch off each night and back on again in the morning, the remedy you suggest does not work. I am though convinced it has something to do with the SMS feature, as you suggest. Many thanks.

Originally posted by Rusty J
    You may have an SMS saved on your SIM card (not in the SMS message lists).
    Try turning your radio off then back on again -- if there's one there, you'll then get a pop-up announcing it and allowing you to move it to the main SMS application, shortly after the network search finishes.
    I have a boat-load of apps on my Treo, which sometimes do and sometimes do not play well together. Sometimes my Treo comes on randomly, too. I've narrowed it down to two possible causes which I can live with.

1) Action Names DateBook: I have the really really really really REALLY really REALLY really old version of Action Names DateBook (version 4.54, copyright 2000), and sometimes its alarms do not go off properly. Rather, they just turn my screen on, which doesn't help if I'm not staring at my screen. I would bet $1million they got this fixed between 2000 and 2003, but I'm too cheap to upgrade.

2) AutoSync (a little gem of a product from Backup Buddy), which automatically HotSyncs my Treo at 5pm if it's connected to the cable. I noticed the turning-on behavior right after I installed this application. But -- myeah. No big deal. I charge every time I'm at my desk, so I never have battery issues.
  5.    #5  
    Many thanks for your advice and tip.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally posted by Bbonnn
    I have a boat-load of apps on my Treo, which sometimes do and sometimes do not play well together. Sometimes my Treo comes on randomly, too. I've narrowed it down to two possible causes which I can live with.

1) Action Names DateBook: I have the really really really really REALLY really REALLY really old version of Action Names DateBook (version 4.54, copyright 2000), and sometimes its alarms do not go off properly. Rather, they just turn my screen on, which doesn't help if I'm not staring at my screen. I would bet $1million they got this fixed between 2000 and 2003, but I'm too cheap to upgrade.

2) AutoSync (a little gem of a product from Backup Buddy), which automatically HotSyncs my Treo at 5pm if it's connected to the cable. I noticed the turning-on behavior right after I installed this application. But -- myeah. No big deal. I charge every time I'm at my desk, so I never have battery issues.
    I have the same problem. My screen turns on at interval of about 10 minutes and stays on for about 30 seconds then shuts off for another 10 minutes, before the whole thing is repeated again.

I have no SMS in my Treo and SIM card. I do not use Action Names Datebook and AutoSync.

Tried everything and the problems seems less frequent after I do a copy and delete between the SIM addressbook and the Speed Dial in my Treo.

Anyway, the problem still exist and is not solved.

The programs in my Treo other than the pre-installed ones are;
    ACDSee, Avantgo, Bebop, Bejeweled, TextTwist, BigClock, Blazer, Bugme, PrintBoy, Eudora, Noah Lite, PdaNet, StayAlive, TreoPictures, TreoTools and VRosary. All these has been installed and running without any problems for quite sometime before the "possessed" screen syndrome (that's what my wife describe it) kicks in...

Glad if someone can help.....Handspring maybe ?
  7.    #7  
    Interesting, the only two programs I have that are same as you are Eudora and Bugme - -

I have found latelty it has not been as frequent as before with the off and on syndrome, - but it still happens neverthless.

If I find a fax, I will let you know.

Originally posted by treoasia
    I have the same problem. My screen turns on at interval of about 10 minutes and stays on for about 30 seconds then shuts off for another 10 minutes, before the whole thing is repeated again.
    can help.....Handspring maybe ?
    I do not know if my experience will shed any light for you guys, but my T270 would power on practically every couple of minutes, then auto-off when I had it in my car. I have a HS belt clip velcro-ed to the dashboard, and I first thought it was maybe the proximity to the radio that was causing the disruption, but then realised it was pressure form the belftclip that must have been pressing on the keyboard, causing the unit to power up.
    Your problem is you probably have an SMS message stuck in your SMS Outbox.

Click the SMS button twice to get to the Outbox and then delete any messages waiting in there.

This was my problem when I had the same symptoms

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    I thought I had deleted all messages in my SMS mailbox. Apparently I did not delete / purge the messages in the folder other than my INBOX. There is a SENT and PENDING folder and I found no message in the SENT folder but there was an SMS which is in my PENDING folder and upon checking, it was a mistyped SMS which I had cancelled sending about a month ago. The date shows April 17th which is about the exact time my on-off screen problem started. I have since deleted that SMS for 5 hours now and the screen had not come on even once (yes, I kept my eyes on the screen for 5 hours !!)....with that I declare the "war" is over....