1.    #1  
    Hi gang,

I just bought my Treo 300 last week. I love it.

But one thing that has always annoyed me in general is the amount of spam that I receive when checking my email. At home or at work, this isn't that big of a problem, because I've got all my "junk mail filters" turned on, and all my incoming junk email gets diverted to a separate folder.

But when checking email from the Treo 300, all the junk mail can become quite burdensome. For example, yesterday I was sitting in a restaurant and I launched SnapperMail and waited while it proceeded to download 47 email messages. 44 of those messages were spam. Man, was I annoyed! What started off as a minor nuisance at home/work, suddenly became a MAJOR ANNOYANCE on my Treo 300.

So I signed up for SpamArrest (http://www.spamarrest.com), and this has done the trick for me! Now whenever I check my email from my Treo (or at home/work), I know that the ONLY email messages I'll be receiving are legitimate messages.

I'm curious to hear how other people have dealt with spam as well. Maybe others aren't quite as annoyed with it as I am.

See ya,
    Scott
    I use a client that pulls directly from my desktop (not the server) so all tools/filters I have on my desktop operate on mail before it is sent to my Treo.
  3.    #3  
    What client is that?
    At least you don't get spam getting sent to your *@sprintpcs.com email address. I get them frequently and get the message saying, "Mail available on Sprint PCS" or whatever it says.

Really lame, spamming should be illegal.
    Is generally to panic when I hear the incomming email alert while driving down the road at 65 MPH, veer off the shoulder as I read the important email about male enlargement dietary suppliments.

I think I have a pretty good system.
    Get a product like SpamKiller that filters email on your server. That in conjunction with a server based spam filter working off the block lists and the amount that gets through is minimized.

It is amazing to me that we have to pay money and slow our computers down to avoid email we don't want. I hate to wish for this...but how about a service where you get like 100 free emails a day ( should cover almost any non spammer) and every email after that is .05.
    Originally posted by scotty321
    What client is that?
    Basejet. www.basejet.com
    As far as web-based email is concerned, I use Yahoo with the POP retrieval option (i have SBC DSL so yahoo handles all the free) Their spam filter is first class in that mail is diverted to a bulk mail folder based on keywords and known spam tactics. best of all I have the option of not downloading this folder with my POP clients (like snappermail). I also have an SMS trigger set up so that only people in my address book that email me will trigger a snappermail download.
    I'm a long time southwestern bell (sbc) dsl user, recently converted to the yahoo isp stuff, but haven't seen the option to not download new bulk items when doing a pop retrieval. I'll look more carefully when I get home.
    Hi gang,

So I signed up for SpamArrest (http://www.spamarrest.com), and this has done the trick for me! Now whenever I check my email from my Treo (or at home/work), I know that the ONLY email messages I'll be receiving are legitimate messages.

I'm curious to hear how other people have dealt with spam as well. Maybe others aren't quite as annoyed with it as I am.

See ya,
    Scott
    i just signed up for the trial of spamarrest. pretty cool. i like to check my email frequently from my desktop and it was getting a little ridiculous getting 75 spams a day. this looks like it might be a great solution, though its unfortunate we have to pay to keep the stuff out of there. i resisted for a long time but it was getting absurd lately
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  11.    #11  
    One thing about SpamArrest that I just realized today is that they permanently archive all of your incoming email on their servers, even after you've downloaded your mail to your own desktop using your POP3 mail client and even after you've deleted the mail from your own desktop.

This doesn't really sit too well with me, although who knows? Maybe my ISP permanently archives my email as well when they do their "daily backups".

So although I'm still using SpamArrest, I'm now looking into MailBlocks (http://www.mailblocks.com) to see if they do the same thing.

See ya,
    Scott
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    As far as web-based email is concerned, I use Yahoo with the POP retrieval option (i have SBC DSL so yahoo handles all the free) Their spam filter is first class in that mail is diverted to a bulk mail folder based on keywords and known spam tactics. best of all I have the option of not downloading this folder with my POP clients (like snappermail). I also have an SMS trigger set up so that only people in my address book that email me will trigger a snappermail download.
    That's neat. I never would have found that option if you had not posted your message. Regarding SMS trigger, is that people in your treo address book or people in your online yahoo address book?

I'm becoming impressed with all the goodies yahoo offers in their role as an sbc isp of sorts. Have always viewed dsl as "just a pipe" and "leave me alone" otherwise, but some of the yahoo stuff could be usefull like when it gave options to select free stuff I selected all the online storage I could get which comes to 760 megs in different areas (briefcase, photos, etc).
    David
    Its set up on my online address book to send the SMS triggers. Yahoo has intellisync software availible as a free download too. it'll sync with outlook or palm desktop. I just use it after I hotsync the treo and then my contacts, notes, and calendar info is on yahoo too. I've been using yahoo like this since 1998 and have seen no other web based service come close to this. SBC DSL just sweetens the pot.
    One thing about SpamArrest that I just realized today is that they permanently archive all of your incoming email on their servers, even after you've downloaded your mail to your own desktop using your POP3 mail client and even after you've deleted the mail from your own desktop.

Scott
    if they want copies of all my spam for some reason, i say they can have them! maybe it helps their efforts somehow.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    if they want copies of all my spam for some reason, i say they can have them! maybe it helps their efforts somehow.
    I'm actually talking about ALL of your incoming mail, spam or not spam. They permanently archive ALL of it! Yikes! :-\

Now after using their service for a week, I'm a little disappointed with them. Their support team hasn't responded to my tech support emails, and their webmail system yields error messages when trying to send outgoing emails.

Hmmm... I may go back to just "dealing with spam" the old fashioned way: DELETE.

See ya,
    Scott
    Hmmm... I may go back to just "dealing with spam" the old fashioned way: DELETE.
    44 times a day? day after day. no way.
    David
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    Its set up on my online address book to send the SMS triggers. Yahoo has intellisync software availible as a free download too. it'll sync with outlook or palm desktop. I just use it after I hotsync the treo and then my contacts, notes, and calendar info is on yahoo too. I've been using yahoo like this since 1998 and have seen no other web based service come close to this. SBC DSL just sweetens the pot.
    Intellisync errored out during sync. It got about 185 of 200 contacts, got the calendar, but didn't make it to the notes. Perhaps if my installation was newer and fresher it would have worked right. When I uninstalled it then I was left with no palm desktop conduits so I had to uninstall, then reinstall palm desktop. Think more to my liking would be just importing contacts from an .aba palm desktop file. Still amazed at yahoo spamguard. In the week since the thread was started it's caught 105 messages. Take THAT you spammers!
    David
    Mailwasher is what I use:

MailWasher allows you to preview multiple e-mail accounts and all aspects of your e-mails before you download them. It also allows you to delete and bounce e-mails back to the originator. The sender will receive an e-mail saying the address was unknown. Another feature helps identify and mark e-mail as normal, virus, possibly virus, possibly spam, probably spam, chain letter, and blacklisted, so you can deal with the e-mail as you wish. Other features are comprehensive customizable filters, use of MAPS RBL to identify spammers, multiple accounts, visual and auditory notification of new e-mail, minimization to system tray, and much more. It is compatible with POP3 servers. This is a full version with no restrictions, but donations are gladly accepted.

The program works on Windows based machines. I wish there was a Palm based equivalent. But, at least I can take care of most of the stuff that comes in over night and other times I check email then there will be much less to deal with on my Treo.

One thing I did learn the hard way using this program which may be of use to everyone else....

This program, like many of the anti-spam services out there, use services such as Spamcop and ORDB. They are interactive databases of what other users say is spam. Well, I discovered that while some users say some email is spam, I would have not received a registration key from one of those "spam blacklisted emails" if I hadn't checked the "blacklisted" list. You will understand what I mean if you try the program. So, while the system isn't perfect, nothing is in my opinion. But at least your in the drivers seat instead of someone else when you check for spam when you use MailWasher. They also have a MailWasher Pro version as well. I donated about 15 minutes after I tried the program. I thought it was that good. I don't know if they still do it but I also received a free upgrade to their Pro version too.

If interested in this here is the link:

http://www.mailwasher.net/download.php

By the way, my ISP says even though I get 30 to 70 spams a day, they are already filtering out a ton more each day. I agree, there needs to be some type of reasonable regulation of this practice. But at least we are beginning to see some decent tools.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ReesR; 04/27/2003 at 11:24 AM.
    Rees
  19.    #19  
    Just a clarification from my earlier post... I just confirmed with SpamArrest Tech Support that they only archive your mail for 7 days, so they're not actually holding onto your mail permanently.
    I really like the interface to MailWasher... but from what I can tell, it doesn't delete the spam from your server until after you "process" it. When I'm on the road and away from my PC, I can't "process" my email, so I get spam on my Treo. I'd love it though if MailWasher did that. I was using SpamKiller, but it has trouble updating itself and was letting too much spam through. SpamEater Pro, on the other hand DOES delete the spam on the server so it doesn't show up on the Treo. It does have a number of false positives (good mail that is "eaten") so I regularly have to go through the "quarantine" area to retrive messages.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com