Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    PalmNet is officially renamed to PdaNet so here is a new thread showing the new name in the title.

    Here is the link to PdaNet.
    David
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by Eddie Hui

    Version 2.01 allows you to customize the dial-up entry.
    Version 2.02 allows you to reconnect immediately after disconnecting. In older versions you will incur a pretty long "clean up delay" before you can reconnect and we have managed to get around it.

    By the way PalmNet is officially renamed to PdaNet. Don't forget to remove the old PalmNet.prc from your PDA although there is no harm leaving it there.
    Thanks for shortening the reconnect process. I knew you wouldn't be able to keep the PalmNet name. I hope the letter from the attorneys was civil.
    David
  3. #3  
    I just downloaded PdaNet 2.0 on my treo to use as a wireless modem for my laptop. I can receive emails from outlook, but for some reason cannot send, what am I missing? I can send and receive from my dial up modem.

    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
    A Zen
  4. #4  
    I'm sure someone will supply a more complete or technical response. But, I know some SMTP servers will only allow outbound mail when you are connected through their own ISP. Example, my cable internet company will not allow outbound mail unless I am connected through my cable connection at home. If I use PDANet or SnapperMail, etc. to get my mail, receiving is fine, but I cannot send. So I use my company SMTP for sending. Another option is to get an SMTP somewhere else. Do a search on "Fastmail" for a solution - you can "rent" their SMTP server at a very low price.
  5. #5  
    I purchased this software but was unable to keep it connected for extended periods until I applied this workaround (in the Dallas area) :

    Go to your Start menu, Chosse "Run", and type
    PING www.yahoo.com -t

    This will leave a continuous scrolling of ICMP packets as your computer repeatedly pings yahoo. This small trickle of a stream (around .6 kbps) will keepalive your pdaNet connection indefinitely, until you hit Control-C to stop it or simply close the window.

    Don't worry if you occaisionally see the ping return time out, this simply means it exceeded its TTL.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by crazyray
    Go to your Start menu, Chosse "Run", and type
    PING www.yahoo.com -t
    Thanks for the tip. I finally got around to setting up a wifi network in the house, but will still have use for pdanet when I travel.
    David
  7. #7  
    Boy, Sprint is going to love this one! Now not only is their $10 service being used for unintended purposes, but is being constantly used. I'm sure one of the reasons they can charge so little is because there is a lot of "dead" time, so the towers can go on doing other things. With this, they have to be constantly talking to your phone.
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by crazyray
    I purchased this software but was unable to keep it connected for extended periods until I applied this workaround (in the Dallas area) :

    Go to your Start menu, Chosse "Run", and type
    PING www.yahoo.com -t
    This should/will only be a temporary work around (most users don't even need this anyway). We will update the software with a better built-in solution.
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
  9. #9  
    I should add here that [ping -t www.yahoo.com] should only be used in dire situations where you cannot otherwise keep the program alive.

    Here's another solution:

    Hit Start
    1. Select R un
    2. type cmd
    3. type ipconfig /all
    4. now ping -t your default gateway, the one listed as your sprint connection.


    This workaround works when you need it, BUT... it may violate the TOS of Sprint PCS.

    This is not a major breakthrough, since all you are doing is creating a permanent, constant trickle of .6 kbps.

    [rant]
    On another note entirely, I have used both pdaNet and wirelessmodem, and I have to say that pdanet blows wireless modem away, and not just because of the reasons you think.

    Yes it is much faster, and yes it is more reliable.

    But, mmore importantly, pdanet's support is 5 times better than WM. The author of WM has proven to be whiny when asked simple questions, as well as acting overtly defensive and fussy when someone comes along with a better solution. The author of pdanet is supportive, open to new ideas, and more responsive.
    In fact, he even open-sourced a good chunk of his program.

    I cannot endorse this program strongly enough.
    [/rant]
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Boy, Sprint is going to love this one! Now not only is their $10 service being used for unintended purposes, but is being constantly used. I'm sure one of the reasons they can charge so little is because there is a lot of "dead" time, so the towers can go on doing other things. With this, they have to be constantly talking to your phone.
    It's sprint's business how they choose to enforce their TOS. If they wanted, they could send cease and desist letters to Scott and Eddie. For my $40/month plan, I use on average 70 of my weekday 300 minutes, and 40 of my unlimited nights and weekends minutes. I may travel once/year and use pdanet for 30 minutes mainly just to show people, "hey lookie what I can do". I've seen your posts in many threads for a good while now. You have nothing but your negative attitude to offer anyone on various subjects, and I'm sure other people have noticed this too.
    David
  11. #11  
    I installed this on my Treo 300 before my 3 hour train ride down to DC and it worked great. The software install and use was as easy as clicking on the connect icon.

    It said I connected at 9.6kbs but it was definately faster than that. I had some issues on the way back, but that was just because Sprint kept dropping my connection.

    I highly recommend it to anyone that has a Treo 300 and travels with a laptop.

    I actually wanted to yell on the train, "I'm browsing the internet from the train!" +10 points for geek factor ;-)
  12. #12  
    my pdanet connection no longer works. I think it has something to do with it being on com9. I think it's supposed to be on 1 or 2 (I have nothing on any other coms). I think it got to 9 due to uninstalling and reinstalling. How do I get it back to original com? By the way, I sent an email to junefabrics and it went unanswered. Thanx...
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by drw
    I've seen your posts in many threads for a good while now. You have nothing but your negative attitude to offer anyone on various subjects, and I'm sure other people have noticed this too.
    I assure you if you look further you will discover that is not true. But anyway, this isn't the place.

    Back on topic, it seems perfectly reasonable to raise a legitimate concern over the future usefulness of a product.
  14. #14  
    I downloaded the free trial of Pdanet and clocked 85-90k on the cnet modem speed test.
    That 's faster than my old dial up modem (46-50k), although not as fast as my cable (avg 800k).
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
  15. #15  
    Damnit I bought wireless modem like 6 months ago, and now this is out (which works better for me because it uses the USB cable). IR can be a pain sometime.

    However, I don't want to spend $35 again. This sucks, I wonder if wirelessmodem guy is going to release a new version to compete?

    Does this product do the same thing of dialing #777 to get the the Vision network (thus, meaning no charge)?
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Boy, Sprint is going to love this one! Now not only is their $10 service being used for unintended purposes, but is being constantly used. I'm sure one of the reasons they can charge so little is because there is a lot of "dead" time, so the towers can go on doing other things. With this, they have to be constantly talking to your phone.
    Sprint needs to also realize it's because they offer this service that I am a customer, and I'm sure many others are as well. Unlimited data is something only Sprint offers and I'm sure they have a handful of people who are Sprint users because of this. They sell PDA phones, and they sell phones with internet connection kits, they have to have planned for this sort of stuff, it's a no brainer.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Damnit I bought wireless modem like 6 months ago, and now this is out (which works better for me because it uses the USB cable). IR can be a pain sometime.

    However, I don't want to spend $35 again. This sucks, I wonder if wirelessmodem guy is going to release a new version to compete?

    Does this product do the same thing of dialing #777 to get the the Vision network (thus, meaning no charge)?
    Once someone writes a Windows USB driver for WirelessModem, I'll release it. Unfortunately I don't have the Windows expertise to develop one and so far my efforts to find a Windows developer that can do this has failed. I'm a Macintosh and Palm OS developer.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    Once someone writes a Windows USB driver for WirelessModem, I'll release it. Unfortunately I don't have the Windows expertise to develop one and so far my efforts to find a Windows developer that can do this has failed. I'm a Macintosh and Palm OS developer.
    Aren't the PDAnet guys offering part of the driver as open source?
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by BrianV


    Aren't the PDAnet guys offering part of the driver as open source?
    Yes, unfortunately no Windows developer has been able to develop the driver even with the piece that is open source.
  20. #20  
    The Pdanet guys developed one though. I'm not giving you a hard time, your product was first to market and was a life saver for me. I'd really love to use your product with a USB cable, and I understand that you have no experience in Windows WDM drivers, I was hoping maybe you could now see that it's possible and develop something after seeing how they have it done, but I'll live if that can't be done.

    Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions