Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by E. G.
    Could have sworn my old Newton had an arm processor (it was fast, especially for its time). Why, except for cost, hasn't anyone else used an arm processor to date?
    As another old Newton user ( I still plug it in occasionally to see if it still works. Bizarre, huh) I remember hearing or reading that StrongARM processors also allowed multitasking/multistringing. If so, and I guess if a PalmOS version had that capability, wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants to be able to multitask?
    Originally posted by pctung
    If so, and I guess if a PalmOS version had that capability, wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants to be able to multitask?
    I think that PalmOS v6 is supposed to include multitasking. That is still many months (a year?) away!
    Originally posted by scrinch

I think that PalmOS v6 is supposed to include multitasking. That is still many months (a year?) away!
    Regarding the release of OS 6: Micheal Mace, PalmSource's Chief Competitive Officer, recently posted some interesting comments over at PIC regarding PalmSource's annual developer's conference which was moved back to February 2004. In the his post he responded to criticisms this was proof PalmSource would be late in releasing OS 6 in 2003 as previously stated:

Sorry to be contrary, but the reason we delayed the conference was because the licensees and others told us loudly and firmly that doing a dev conference (and thereby whipping up a frenzy about future technologies) was a really, really dumb thing to do in the middle of the Christmas selling season, when the licensees want everyone focused on what they're selling at that moment.

This is not spin-meistering, gang -- I was there and it's what really happened. We shouldn't have tried to put the conference in December in the first place, and we should have checked with the licensees more thoroughly before we announced the date.

So now the conference will be in February 04, and we'll use the developer seminars this summer to communicate the new OS technologies (and new licensees) that people will see in time for the holiday season.
    He further went on to say later in the discusson that:

Hi, gang.

I'll try to settle some of the confusion, but obviously I can't talk in detail about all of our future plans.

--We've always said that Palm OS 6 will ship *to licensees* this year. That's still the plan, and I'm confident about it. When it ships to users installed in hardware is up to the licensees, and I hope PalmSource hasn't made any public predictions about that, because we shouldn't. It's up to the licensees, and depends on their schedules.

--There's another assumption everyone's making: that you won't see any enhancements to the OS prior to Palm OS 6. When we first briefed people on our road map, we said that we were in discussions with licensees about which features they wanted first. They had a lot of feedback for us, and you'll see the results at the developer seminar, if not before.

Mike
    CCO, PalmSource
    Thus there definitely is a possibility to see some OS 6 devices by 2003 IMO, most probably by the end of the year at the earliest...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Thus there definitely is a possibility to see some OS 6 devices by 2003 IMO, most probably by the end of the year at the earliest...
    Will OS5 devices be upgradeable to OS6 (provided the licensee does their part)? If so, I predict that some OS5 devices will get prompt upgrades (PALM) and other devices will get much delayed upgrades (SONY) and some none at all (fill_in_the_blank).
    David
    Metal case and blue tooth - that's all I'm asking for. I'm sure my second Treo will be broken by the time this is released - so if this ships with the same plastic case I'm going to find a new platform.

Dunc
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123