Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would rather have a built=in MP3 Player than have a camera. GPRS prices are too high for sending images wirelessly. And I would rather take quality images with a real digital camera.

Originally posted by 003oret
    i spoke to a sprint rep today who said she saw the new treo at a tradeshow. the will have a camera, external storage, will be slimmer and sleeker with no flip. i asked if it has voice recording, she didn't remember. man oh man i can't wait!
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    That treo-like device she saw was most likely the i700 samsung or the p800 from Hitachi. These are PPC devices one of which has a keyboard and both have cameras and SD slots. I'm saying this because many Sprint reps don't know the difference and if it were at a trade show we'd have seen pix leaked out by now. I think the new Treo will keep the lid from the inside info given by the conference call.
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    That treo-like device she saw was most likely the i700 samsung or the p800 from Hitachi. These are PPC devices one of which has a keyboard and both have cameras and SD slots. I'm saying this because many Sprint reps don't know the difference and if it were at a trade show we'd have seen pix leaked out by now. I think the new Treo will keep the lid from the inside info given by the conference call.
    I think you're right. Perhaps the reps are now using "Treo" as a name for all smartphones, kinda like "Kleenex."
    I would doubt that it was one of the PPC devices since it was described as slimmer and both of those devises are larger than the current Treo.

Geoffrey
    uh no dudes it was a treo. not some other piece of crapola!
    uh no dudes it was a treo. not some other piece of crapola!
    Uh, okay dude. Describe it. Color. Size. Input. Give us enough detail now so when it's official we can see.
    I somehow doubt that if they won't even give a hint about the new Treo, and there is no FCC paperwork that it's just being flashed around at a "tradeshow"... I agree, it was probably something else...
    im just saying this because #1 Im a sprint pcs rep, and WE dont have a clue what it looks like, or what features it'll have.. and #2 the only tradeshow that has happened this year so far was CES and the CDMA conference in New Orleans where the PPC devices were shown and debuted.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    you guys are nerds. get over it. don't burst my bubble with your half empty glass.
    you guys are nerds. get over it. don't burst my bubble with your half empty glass.
    Seriously, if you saw it, please give us some info. Partly so we can cross-check and partly because we want to know.
    the only really BIG improvement that is imperative is an improved battery. The rest of this little monster is pretty darn good. Maybe throw in bluetooth also. If I need a camera I'll bring one with me.
    Could have sworn my old Newton had an arm processor (it was fast, especially for its time). Why, except for cost, hasn't anyone else used an arm processor to date?
    Every PocketPC for many years now has used ARM processors...

Palm's didn't use ARM until OS 5 becuase when palm was first started the motorola architechture (dragonball) was most cost effective/best, and once you choose an architechture, it is somewhat hard to change. (OS 5 emulates the older processor) . Now with OS 5 we can use ARM, and are up to date with the current mobile processor market.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by mpk65281
    I somehow doubt that if they won't even give a hint about the new Treo, and there is no FCC paperwork that it's just being flashed around at a "tradeshow"... I agree, it was probably something else...
    Ideally, one wouldn't know anything about it until it appeared in stores. Remember how Palm bragged about upcoming m500/m505 which were subsequently delayed so their revenue from existing products dried up as users waited for the new models to appear?

There was a famous portable computer who's creator died recently (can't remember the name of either off hand). He made the mistake of listing the features of the following version before it was ready, and because everyone stopped buying the current model there never was a new version because the company went bankrupt.
    David
    drw wrote:

Ideally, one wouldn't know anything about it until it appeared in stores.

That would be ideal (for Handspring) but not legally possible. Since the Treo is a wireless device, it requires an FCC filing. So there will be at least one leak prior to release.
    Last edited by Gameboy70; 04/21/2003 at 01:06 PM.
    however FCC paperwork the day that it is approved can be asked tobe "unapproved" and therefore taken down off the website. If Handspring does this right.. and i ma thinking that they have, we will not see the FCC filings until Handspring asks the FCC to "Reapprove" the device (even though it has passed everything), and make it public the day they announce it. Otherwise, I've heard? that we should of seen this (FCC filings) in march...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    Otherwise, I've heard? that we should of seen this (FCC filings) in march...
    Honestly think it's going to be released on time?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Honestly think it's going to be released on time?
    Well, if pigs can fly (and Kurt, you've shown us that they can) I don't see why one new phone couldn't be released on schedule this year. Who knows, maybe it will be the neutreo!?
    Lets remember that we didnt see the FCC filings (and the subsequent posting on Phonescoop.com) about the treo 300 until the end of last July or so. The very next day, HandSpring announced it in conjuntion with SPCS, then 1 month later it was released. Like I said earlier in the thread I do know some people that are currently testing the new device-- They are under non-disclosure agreements with HS and would only tell me that much. Of course I'm not gonna say who told me because I don't want to risk their relationship with HS. Just know that we already have them to thank for a lot of innovations in the way the device works for us. As a employee of Sprint PCS, I can say that we will be releasing another HS device this fall if the schedule keeps up, but even I don't know what it looks like, or the features; Im not that high up on the totem pole. Im sorry to be all cloak and daggar about all of this, but I want everyone here on the board to know that unlike the Kyocera 7135 fiasco (of which I was actually waiting on, then had to "settle" for the Treo), we will actually be getting a new Treo this fall.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    I have had Treo 300 since October. It has been great. I wanted it to get e mails on the go. With Treo mail 1.0, I haven't taken the time to down load 1.5, it is great. I get e mails in airports, at golf courses, etc. works like a charm. Very helpful. I surf the net for news, weather. Would like to do more. It is also very nice to have all my contacts in my phone and for them to be intergrated into the phone use. Don't use calender, don't play many games. Free internet and e mail.

I think think that Sprint, although better than before needs an ad campaign that would get most palm users to buy and most guys like me who are just looking for a good email phone that I can reply to. Yes, I would like to read documents, but it has not been enough of an issue to try to get soft ware to do it.

So Sprint--push this baby before HS goes broke.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast