1.    #1  
    Help.

I am on the verge of having to do my 4th hard reset. Every time I've been using the Blazer application when the unit locks up. The past three times have all occurred while out of town with significant data lost (entered since leaving home). Doing the soft reset with the stylus causes the hard reset losing all data. Is there another remedy and/or a cause to this dilemna?

Out of town now and loss of data until hotsynch (next week) would be devastating.

Really like this Treo but another full reset will likely cause total loss of confidence in this product.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by mrroute66
    Help.

I am on the verge of having to do my 4th hard reset. Every time I've been using the Blazer application when the unit locks up. The past three times have all occurred while out of town with significant data lost (entered since leaving home). Doing the soft reset with the stylus causes the hard reset losing all data. Is there another remedy and/or a cause to this dilemna?

1. Treos need a portable backup and restore solution. (I can think of one but don't have the financing to produce it)

2. Are you running AOL's AIM client on the Treo? (If you are, then remove it.)

3. Soft reset should not cause data loss. Are you saying that the soft reset fails and then requires you to do a hard reset?
    Originally posted by mrroute66
    Help.

Out of town now and loss of data until hotsynch (next week) would be devastating.

Really like this Treo but another full reset will likely cause total loss of confidence in this product.

Thanks in advance.
    It sounds like you have a corrupted file that is causing your treo to crash! Based on your previous posts as jaytee mentions you had AIM. This is the app that probably caused the problem that you are experiencing now.
    You need to remove your back up folder from the handspring program file on your desk top, perform a hard reset and than set your conduits in the hotsync mgr to desktop overrides handheld especially the system conduit. This will create a new back up folder and than you can install back any 3rd party apps that you have.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  4.    #4  
    This happened again - while out of town. I was using the Blazer when it locked up. After pressing the disconnect (or other) in the bottom left corner the fatal error message appeared with an icon to reset. At this point I couldn't turn it off or activate the icon. I finally did the soft reset and the unit began flashing its screen but never loading up - like a quick loop. I tried every type of button combination to get it to stop. If I held in the power it asked if I wanted to do the hard reset (erasing all data). After about six hours of trying other rememedies (and having no phone) I gave in. All data lost - some of which had crucial schedules for the week.

It seems that the most often occurs when using the Blazer app and when I'm out of Cingular territory.

I also seem to remember it did the same thing when using the Treo Mail application - and possibly CSD connection.
  5.    #5  
    The AIM application is long gone too. Even deleted from Archive subfolder/backup.
    I've also had hard resets on the road, from using Blazer. Sigh.

Here's what I've got now:

JackFlash 2.7b1 and JackSafe
    And, in flash memory:

PalmVNC
    BackupBuddy Palm Client
    ChangeName
    pTelnet
    ButtonsT
    Eudora
    Lftp

I have my PC set up for wireless network hotsync, and also I have an available ftp server to use with BackupBuddy Palm Client, which means that I've now got about six ways to recover from a hard reset. The best way is using BackupBuddy from the ftp server, but that can be tedious- one communication error and you have to manually intervene. And if a file name is too long BB will have a fatal error unless you skip it. But other than that it does the job.

If BackupBuddy can't do it, Lftp should be able to.

Also, it _should_ be possible to use ChangeName to set my user name, then use PalmVNC to connect to the network hotsync PC. (order doesn't matter). At that point I'd have to set the Palm desktop to "desktop overwrites handheld" for everything and then do a hotsync. If you don't use ChangeName, your desktop will not sync unless you choose a user profile (at the desktop). And if you do use ChangeName, the desktop assumes that you deleted all that stuff from your palm and that's no good at all. So VNC convinces the desktop that it's got the good stuff.

I haven't tested this last one- BackupBuddy works acceptably well, and has the advantage that my stuff is on two PCs for safety.

But JackFlash (requires JackSafe- whose availability is uncertain right now) is the hero that makes all of this possible.
  7.    #7  
    Interesting we have differing apps but same problem with Blazer. Any thoughts that Blazer is the culprit or is there an update available?

That wireless Hotsynch seems a bit beyond me, currently.

Where did you find "pTelnet"? I've been looking for a telnet app to run over the gprs connection.

Thanks.
    Did you ever try a warm(System) reset to get out of the loop? Hold the Up Scroll button and reset it.

Try here