Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    My lid broke on my 300. I was informed that that is not covered and not fixable. The only way to resolve this problem is to purchase a new Treo at $500. Since I am an existing customer I do not get any of the rebates. When I called handspring to see if I could purchase a new cover with lid the would not help me.
    Is this all true???
    Throw it up against a wall and say the unit has been destroyed.
    Originally posted by garyt01
    My lid broke on my 300.
    In what way did the lid break? Did it snap off at the hinge as reported in this thread? If you don't currently have insurance, sign up for it, and in a month file a claim. That's the best advice I can give.

As much as I love the thumboard and unlimited data, as soon as the i700 comes out, I'll get that. Smartphones get described at "phone first, pda second" and vice versa. Treo has created a new category: "pda first, flimsy piece of plastic second"
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    In what way did the lid break? Did it snap off at the hinge as reported in this thread? If you don't currently have insurance, sign up for it, and in a month file a claim. That's the best advice I can give.
    The best advice is fraud? I'd get out of the advice giving business if I were you.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    The best advice is fraud? I'd get out of the advice giving business if I were you.
    eek! The other thread says the fragile lid as a known problem with Handspring and/or Sprint, yet neither wants to own up to it. Is he supposed to eat the $500 because not all the csr's and techs are on the same page? As the other thread points out, don't get a treo unless you plan to get the insurance too. That's my advice.
    David
    From reading around this forum and from my experience with Sprint, you may want to try a different Sprint store and notify them of your situation and this being a known issue on the Treo 300. You may also want to contact the rentention dept with Sprint Cust. Service. Just ask to speak with retention right away, and make sure they put good notes in your profile (have them read the notes back to you). You pay them monthly for service, make sure that you are getting it.

See this thread... http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=32431

I also recommend for the future always get insurance on your more pricey electronic devices, if you are unwilling to spend the original amount for the product.

I wish you luck.

Neila
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I took the abuse and paid another $500 to sprint to get my phone replaced because the defective design on the hinge broke. I received no discounts because I was not a new customer and very little understanding from either Sprint or either of their three stores I went to over the past three weeks. The wore me out and since I am about to start traveling over 70% for the next three month my back was to a wall. You know there is justice in life... just look at the price of the Sprint Stock!
    Originally posted by garyt01
    I took the abuse and paid another $500 to sprint to get my phone replaced
    Did you get the insurance?
    David
    My phone also broke the same way .. lid broke on one of the hinged points. I took it back to Sprint and they sent me a refurbished one for free. It's covered under the 1 year warranty for that phone.
    Originally posted by racerX328
    My phone also broke the same way .. lid broke on one of the hinged points. I took it back to Sprint and they sent me a refurbished one for free. It's covered under the 1 year warranty for that phone.
    I really hope this is true.
    If the hinge snapped it's a design flaw. Walk into another store and tell them. Actually walk back into the same store and tell them it's a flaw and the Sprint directive is to replace them. Also remind them that all of their handsets are covered for a year. The didn't have any instock when I walked in, but they overnighted a brand new one to me. Don't take no for an answer, and don't pay your deductible - you don't need to.

Dunc
    I do a lot of browsing on my day off. Treos displayed at Frys Electronics and one Circuit City have the lid broken off. And what I don't understand is that the damaged product is still kept on display several months afterwards. Second observation is that if it is a design flaw, what will getting another solve other than resetting a countdown timer till the new one breaks?

My Mom bought a new Bonneville a couple years ago. From the start, when it rained water collected in the trunk. She tried to get the dealer to fix it and their response was "it's a design flaw, nothing can be done about it". She cauked and sealed around the tail light covers and it's not as bad as before, but still leaks a little.
    David
    Short of making the case out of metal - which I bet you dollars to donuts they will - there's nothing that can be done. There's just too little plastic at that point to support the stress that the lid receives. My first one lasted 6 months, if I get another 6 months on the replacement unit then the new ones will probably be out and I'll step into one of them.

The whole "no discounts for existing customers" just bugs the hell out of me about Sprint. Every management book in the world will tell you that it is far more expensive to win back a customer then to keep an existing one. Why don't they get that? They know that an existing customer is a revenue stream why not give them a bone and tie them in for another year? Instead they create bad blood. Cellular number portability, on the horizon, is going to rock Sprint's (and everyone else's) world!

Dunc
    I've found the lid to be quite strong.
    I never questioned the lids strength either - until I noticed the tiny crack. Then it was just a matter of days before the hinge broke completely. Granted, I use my Treo an awful lot - I'm continually opening and closing it for calls and apps. But I don't think it should have snapped after 6 months of use. I've had many other flip phones in the past that I've retired after years of service and none of them showed any signs of failure. The Treo is the first cell phone that I've ever had to have replaced.

Dunc