Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41  
    slightly off topic- but will somebody explain this #777 thing? Does sprint provide an ISP, or do you need to do #777ISP-FONE# ? People are finding out the yare getting chatged for just dialing ISP-FONE#? Why doesn't that come out of your normal minutes. If somebody could help clarify that, i would appreciate it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  2.    #42  
    miradu, apparently #777 is the number one dials to access the Vision-provided internet.

    If you dial ISP-PHONE# it triggers a modem/data connection that Sprint system detect and bill out of your minute allotment AND as "wireless web."

    I believe they must have to do something for dial-up/data over wireless networks to intesify or rebuild the connection (beyond what is normally required for voice calls to be successful), and so for that reason they charge accordingly. This is just my anecdotal theorizing, however.
  3. #43  
    When you connect to vision, hit the "down" button to see the number. Kinda like the tip posted in a story here on Treo Central.
  4. #44  
    Originally posted by miradu
    slightly off topic- but will somebody explain this #777 thing? Does sprint provide an ISP, or do you need to do #777ISP-FONE# ? People are finding out the yare getting chatged for just dialing ISP-FONE#? Why doesn't that come out of your normal minutes. If somebody could help clarify that, i would appreciate it.
    Sprint can tell the difference between a data call and a voice call, even on the old "wireless web" system. Data calls (14.4) will come out of your minutes if you have the $5/month WW option added to your plan. However, for some reason, you cannot have Vision and the $5 WW option on your account at the same time. Therefore, if you are dialing to your ISP, you are not using Vision but are still making a data call; Sprint detects this and since you do not have the $5 WW option on your account, it does not come out of your minutes and you are therefore charged for your WW minutes just like someone who has a 2G phone with no $5 WW option.
  5. #45  
    I'm a new Treo 300 user. I signed on in the last month. I signed a 2 year contract with nothing in it prohibiting PDAnet. Wouldn't they have to give me the option of cancelling without the early termination fee? If they were to change the terms of billing? I like PDAnet! Its no replacement for my DSL but is great for wireless web. Sprint should be promoting this!! I would even pay extra for this if it weren't to expensive. Thankyou for all the knowledge on this board! Much appreciated!

    Bret 300
  6. #46  
    However, for some reason, you cannot have Vision and the $5 WW option on your account at the same time.
    FWIW, they did allow me to do this. On April 24, I switched from an old plan over to a Vision plan, but since I still have an old non-Vision-enabled phone I told them I still wanted the $5 WW option enabled for awhile until I decide which new phone to get. They said no problem and even waived the $5 fee for the first 60 days. I called back a couple times to confirm this and each time they said, yep, it's OK to have the $5 WW on a Vision plan.

    None of this is to say that my bill will actually reflect this! They've said one thing and done another before, and it wouldn't surprise if they screwed this up too and I end up getting billed 40 cents/minute for my non-Vision WW usage. Pictures at 11....
  7. #47  
    Originally posted by Acujimmy


    FWIW, they did allow me to do this. On April 24, I switched from an old plan over to a Vision plan, but since I still have an old non-Vision-enabled phone I told them I still wanted the $5 WW option enabled for awhile until I decide which new phone to get. They said no problem and even waived the $5 fee for the first 60 days. I called back a couple times to confirm this and each time they said, yep, it's OK to have the $5 WW on a Vision plan.

    None of this is to say that my bill will actually reflect this! They've said one thing and done another before, and it wouldn't surprise if they screwed this up too and I end up getting billed 40 cents/minute for my non-Vision WW usage. Pictures at 11....
    So just to be clear, you have the $10 Vison and the $5 WW options on your account at the same time? Maybe they have recently changed their system/policy and it is now possbile, especially since last time I checked was several months ago. I just remeber trying at least 10 different Sprint reps from CS and Retention and they all told me the same thing, "not possbile to have both at the same time." If you log onto your account online, do you see both options on there?
  8. #48  


    So just to be clear, you have the $10 Vison and the $5 WW options on your account at the same time?
    No, what I have is one of the newer plans that includes all-you-can-eat Vision (along with AYCA PCS-to-PCS minutes, AYCE Nights & Weekends, 2000 minutes and free add-a-phone for $100 -- great deal IMO). To that deal I added $5 WW.

    If you log onto your account online, do you see both options on there?
    Haven't tried that. Till recently my older version of Netscape and the Sprint site didn't get along well. I'll give the system a few days to absorb the changes, then check, and let you know what it says.

    Till then, the only thing I'd speculate is that maybe the only way to add the $5 WW to a Vision plan is to get a newer AYCE plan?

    Cheers!
  9. #49  
    He does not have both vision and wireless web. He is using a non-vision phone, and thus cannot have vision on the plan for that phone, and therefore was able to get WW for THAT phone.
  10. #50  
    He does not have both vision and wireless web. He is using a non-vision phone, and thus cannot have vision on the plan for that phone, and therefore was able to get WW for THAT phone.
    That is incorrect. Sprint may have been told something different, but I'm sure of what I was told, and I just spoke with them again at *2 and was told that I have both Vision and $5WW on the account. I asked whether or not there was a specific prohibition about having both Vision and $5WW and was told that there was none.

    Having problems with my password so dunno if what's on the website reflects the above.

    (By the way, the account that I have doesn't depend on what phone I have. If I want to have a Vision account but not a Vision phone, why should Sprint care? In fact, I wanted to lock in the new plan while it was available, and buy myself a Treo or Samsung later, and they were cool with that.)

    That being said, I guess the only reason someone would want to have both (apart from not yet having acquired a Vision phone) would be to avoid getting dinged for using the phone as a modem. If Sprint thought a person was doing that, I don't know what they would say. A Sprint customer service rep did tell me that as long as I didn't use too much data, Sprint was unlikely to give me a hard time if I used the phone as a modem.


    Ciao..
  11. #51  


    Sprint may have been told something different,
    Sorry, I meant to say "Sprint may have told you something different." Mercury retrograde.
  12. #52  
    OK, I got thru to sprintpcs.com; it confirmed that I indeed have both Vision and $5 WW on my account. Here's an excerpt from my account summary:

    My Current Services Summary:


    PCS Vision Premium Pack

    PCS Wireless Web $5.00
    Hope that's useful......
  13. #53  
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    Being a technology lawyer, I just had to read the terms of service from top to bottom. Nowhere do they prohibit this type of usage. Unless SprintPCS has some secret, additional terms of service, I don't know how they can prohibit unlimited usage via PdaNet. Of course, they are free to change those terms at any time upon notice, as they effectively did when they switched from per KB pricing to unlimited data for a fixed fee.

    Would someone please explain to me what I am missing here? Also, I fail to understand how SprintPCS can differentiate between data sessions that end at the Treo and data sessions that pass through to a laptop. No one has offered up any kind of reasonable explanation for this. I don't think they can do it, so long as you are not making a data call (such as dialing up an ISP). I could be completely wrong, and if so, I would love to hear how this sort of monitoring is accomplished.

    One more related note. I use SnapperMail and QuickOffice Premiere. When I am away from the office for a couple of days without my laptop, it is not uncommon for me to run many MB of data through my device forwarding large attachments that I receive and modify. I can think of one occasion where I sent over 10MB of data via SnapperMail in one session. How would this use be distinguished from using the Treo as a "modem" (technically it's not) via PdaNet?

    Just curious.

    curtiscarmack:

    This is what I got out of the contract:

    PROMOTIONS, OPTIONS AND OTHER PROVISIONS
    PCS Vision. Sprint may deny or terminate service without notice where use is in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. PCS Vision Packs are: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA - including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse. PCS Vision Pack credits for premium services do not carry forward.

    For an unlimited plan, this sounds kindof limited to me. Look at the doublespeak....only available on phone or smart phone....not available on smartphone.....what the heck is going on here????

    Am I missing something here??

    I just bought an i330. I'm so frustrated, I think I'm going to return it.
  14. #54  
    why dont you cry about it??


    get the unlimited plan, i put ~a gig a month and never had a problem


    dont worry about the damn contract
  15. #55  
    Originally posted by quake8
    why dont you cry about it??


    get the unlimited plan, i put ~a gig a month and never had a problem


    dont worry about the damn contract

    Thanks so much for your polite.....and need I say PROFESSIONAL response.
  16. #56  
    the data is passed through you phone as 1's and 0's. The same data Being spent through you laptop could also be sent on the Treo, using different Apps.

    It would take alot, I mean alot of resources and time for sprint to monitor you traffic for "No Treo compatible Data" and then keep a log of it for billing. And it would be almost impossible for sprint you stop you from using a laptop through you phone.
  17. #57  
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3
    the data is passed through you phone as 1's and 0's. The same data Being spent through you laptop could also be sent on the Treo, using different Apps.

    It would take alot, I mean alot of resources and time for sprint to monitor you traffic for "No Treo compatible Data" and then keep a log of it for billing. And it would be almost impossible for sprint you stop you from using a laptop through you phone.
    Perhaps I have misinterpreted your post but I can guarantee you that Sprint does have the capability and statistical modeling software to determine a probablility that you are using your Treo and a modem for your laptop based on bandwidth utilization. This technology has been available for years. If SPCS wanted to inforce the issue, they could
  18. #58  
    Originally posted by Maniac8888


    Perhaps I have misinterpreted your post but I can guarantee you that Sprint does have the capability and statistical modeling software to determine a probability that you are using your Treo and a modem for your laptop based on bandwidth utilization. This technology has been available for years.
    It's not that easy. As for bandwidth. You get the same bandwidth speed using laptop connection, blazer or any other data-using app on you Device. The PDA net is a data-using APP just like Blazer, snapper mail, sms, or any other data-using App. The difference is that PDAnet doesn't just compile that data into a usable format on the device, but pipe it out through the USB.

    When send or receiving data from the net, sprint would only see Data packets not the actual web page or program. They could determine certain site or address contains no usable treo content and block, but you could just use a proxy or redirect page to access.

    When sprint see you data they see
    Your address
    Destination Address
    And 1' or 0'
    You Treo phone and Sprint or on the Data Link and Physical layer of the OSI. You computer and the Destination computer handle any thing High then that.

    But sprint could do it by
    Store a whole session of you data transfers,
    Reconvert them into Web page, program, etc
    Run them and determine that no way in the world a treo can run or us it "might me a email attachment"
    Do that for each data Packet and charge you per minute, or web call for it

    Other than that Sprint only see 1"s and 0'
    You could use as much data just on the treo it self without going through a laptop.

    [i]If SPCS wanted to enforce the issue, they could [/B]
    For them to monitor their user would be more costly then providing voice and data service alone.

    But for then to allow you Internet Access they have to do just That provide internet access. They could black certain site or address they feel a Treo would not use, but you could find way around. You could find way around any thing Sprint tried to do, try to stop you from connect through you Phone "Unless they deactivate all Treo and gave a Treo totally design for that purpose"


    It's alot harder to Monitor some one communicate them you think
  19. #59  
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3


    It's not that easy. As for bandwidth. You get the same bandwidth speed using laptop connection, blazer or any other data-using app on you Device. The PDA net is a data-using APP just like Blazer, snapper mail, sms, or any other data-using App. The difference is that PDAnet doesn't just compile that data into a usable format on the device, but pipe it out through the USB.

    When send or receiving data from the net, sprint would only see Data packets not the actual web page or program. They could determine certain site or address contains no usable treo content and block, but you could just use a proxy or redirect page to access.

    When sprint see you data they see
    Your address
    Destination Address
    And 1' or 0'
    You Treo phone and Sprint or on the Data Link and Physical layer of the OSI. You computer and the Destination computer handle any thing High then that.

    But sprint could do it by
    Store a whole session of you data transfers,
    Reconvert them into Web page, program, etc
    Run them and determine that no way in the world a treo can run or us it "might me a email attachment"
    Do that for each data Packet and charge you per minute, or web call for it

    Other than that Sprint only see 1"s and 0'
    You could use as much data just on the treo it self without going through a laptop.


    For them to monitor their user would be more costly then providing voice and data service alone.

    But for then to allow you Internet Access they have to do just That provide internet access. They could black certain site or address they feel a Treo would not use, but you could find way around. You could find way around any thing Sprint tried to do, try to stop you from connect through you Phone "Unless they deactivate all Treo and gave a Treo totally design for that purpose"


    It's alot harder to Monitor some one communicate them you think
    Sorry for the type O's. I will use a spell checker for All future Post

    Sorry. Clarence C Middleton
  20. #60  
    what if they simply forced all traffic threw a web proxy only allowing certain traffic in/out

    ie. only port 80
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions